Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to customer service?

Seamos
Grafter

Re: What happened to customer service?

Got a bit excited there,
“Important message about your service”

I nearly choked on my cornflakes as I excitedly opened the message. Is everything sorted, is it a response to my numerous questions. The suspense was killing me.

“We can see you've recently been in touch with our Support Team about a problem with your service.

If the issue is still outstanding, please review your Question on our website.

However, if you think the problem's now fixed, there's no need to reply. Your Question will automatically close after 11 days.”

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 726

Hi @Seamos thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to see the issues we're experiencing with adding the BT Sport/App channel pack onto your account and how we've been handling this. I've gone through this with a fine toothpick, as you've likely noticed from the emails you've received an hour ago when I've closed the duplicate tickets to tidy things up and try to get a clear picture of what's going on.

Due to the amount of times we've removed your YouView service, re-added it and re-provisioned it, I'm unable to get as a clear picture as I'd like and things are a bit messy because of that. However I believe the issue is what we're currently experiencing, which is the add/remove channel pack button isn't working for your account.

I've raised a task with our database analyst(DBA) team to investigate further, but unfortunately the problem is likely going to get worse over the coming days because as a result of applying a discount on the 5th, this had caused an error in the billing engine and automatically suspended your account billing while this is being resolved by our engineering team.

When your bill date comes around, if your bill doesn't generate then it's likely that's going to have an impact on us being able to add the channel pack. There is a possibility we may be able to add this onto the back-end YouView system however from experience as far as I'm aware adding the BT Sport/App channel pack in particular that way doesn't always work.

Having said that I'd like to wait for a response regarding the task I've raised, which I'd expect to be next week.

Again I do sincerely apologise for the experience you've had. Ultimately we are where we are right now and I don't believe there's anyone in the customer support centre that can do anything else to fix this however the way this has been handled has been poor and I'll ensure feedback is passed on to the appropriate people regarding this.

In the interest of being thorough I'll also reply to your questions individually:

Do you think it is reasonable that I have waited 3 weeks for the BT Sport App to be activated?

Absolutely not.

If not, do you think some priority should be given to fixing the problem?

I don't think this is a matter of giving something priority because there's been nothing raised we can prioritise. I can see we've attempted to resolve the issue by removing/re-adding/re-provisioning with little success. Sad

We've also reached out to our products team although that appears to have been after the 5th and the response we've received advises that the account billing has been suspended so that would be the cause. I'm getting clarification on that.

We absolutely could've been more proactive though and provide you with updates.

Do you think it is reasonable that having been promised that the matter would be resolved or that I would be updated in 48 hours that I heard nothing for 5 days?

Do you think it was reasonable that I had to make contact after 5 days had elapsed without hearing anything?

Do you think that having again been promised the matter would be resolved within 48 hours that it is reasonable that I am unhappy that no priority would be given to resolving this matter?

It's obvious that we've failed and we've let you down here with investigating the issue and not updating you proactively. I'll ensure feedback is passed onto the appropriate people regarding how we've handled this.

Do you think it would be appropriate for a manager to call me as promised by the member of staff?

Do you think allowing 4 hours for a manger to call back is a reasonable time?

Do you think that 9 hours after being told a manger would call back that it was unreasonable to ask for a call before 1030 the next day?

Do you think it reasonable that no manager or member of staff called or emailed to say that no call to me would be made?

If you request a call to be escalated I'd expect a manager or supervisor to take the call either by a transfer or a call back straight away. Sometimes though we do need to advise a time frame of 4 hours if there's not one available at that point. I'm disappointed to see that a manager didn't call you back though and I'll be adding that to the feedback I send. 

Do you think it is reasonable to be told that a fix was in place but not to be told that as a consequence my BT Sports and HD channels would be removed?

Not at all, and I'm sorry again if you weren't advised that your other channel packs would be removed as a result of the work that was done to try to get your BT Sport app activated.

Do you think it is reasonable that having posed this question at 2010 on Wednesday no one replied and that I had to call at 1530 on Thursday?

Do you think it reasonable that despite asking for an email update, including timescales, all I see is an obscure message on the Help Assistant?

We generally aim to respond to a ticket within 24 to 72 hours, however I certainly wouldn't have expected you to have had to call us as many times as you have done. We aim to resolve an issue/arrange for an issue to be resolved without you needing to contact us again, and there certainly has been a lack of communication via tickets on your account.

Do you think it is unreasonable for me to ask for written confirmation of what would be included in my bill due on 15 September?

Do you think it reasonable that 48 hours later I have not received this information?

Unfortunately we can't really give you a breakdown of your bill before it's generated as it may include non-subscription fees like call charges etc, however barring those I'd expect your bill when it generates to be as agreed. 

Do you think it is reasonable that none of my requests for information have been provided whether requested over the phone or in messages on the Help Assistant?

Do you think it is reasonable that a customer has spent 9.5 hours in telephone conversation over a 3 week period trying to get a contracted service added?

Do you think that being “sorry” equates to good customer service?

Again it's obvious we've failed here and I can't apologise enough for the experience you've had. 

I'm taking this on personally moving forward and I'll update you as soon as I know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

So when do I get to hear? 

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Seamos I've just got in the office, I'll aim to update you later on today.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

Still waiting........🕗

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us @Seamos 

To echo the update I've provided on your ticket at 16:09 this afternoon, I'm looking into this further with our products team however as the billing has been suspended on your account, I'm afraid that it's very likely we can't do anything until that's been resolved but I'll update you as soon as I know more. 

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

I do not think you responding via a ticket is a satisfactory way to communicate, that is primarily an internal communication tool which you have acknowledged had become clogged up. You apologised for the history of poor communication but fail to communicate directly with me. You promise to feedback on poor communication then fail to contact me directly. You have my email and telephone number so it is not a lot to ask that you use them. On your point about the billing on my account being suspended can you please tell me how this is being resolved and by when it will be resolved as your response merely tells me the problem is still there. I would appreciate a response to the questions I have raised in connection with my account in particular about the return of equipment and my monthly charge.

Again I would ask “Whatever happened to customer service?”
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I do not think you responding via a ticket is a satisfactory way to communicate, that is primarily an internal communication tool which you have acknowledged had become clogged up. You apologised for the history of poor communication but fail to communicate directly with me. You promise to feedback on poor communication then fail to contact me directly. You have my email and telephone number so it is not a lot to ask that you use them. 

The ticket reply I made today should've generated an on-hold email notification to yourself with the content. If you've not received the email could you check your junk mail and/or spam folders letting me know if you find it or not?

If you'd like me to give you a call can you let me know when the best time is tomorrow? Although it's worth noting that I'd unlikely to have a resolution before we've unsuspended your account billing as this is now holding things up. 

On your point about the billing on my account being suspended can you please tell me how this is being resolved

Our billing engineering teams are working on resolving this.

and by when it will be resolved as your response merely tells me the problem is still there.

Unfortunately there is no way I'd be able to track the progress of this or advise when this will be resolved. When we've suspended billing, we get a banner at the top of an account advising that there are actions queued up in the back-end systems meaning that there are activities happening which haven't completed yet/are stuck.

I would appreciate a response to the questions I have raised in connection with my account in particular about the return of equipment and my monthly charge.

By the looks of it you don't need to return the equipment to us however if you want to I've ordered a returns bag now, which you should receive within the next few days. With regards to your monthly charge, unfortunately as per my previous response I'm afraid we're unable to tell you exactly how much it'll be until your bill has generated as it may contain non-subscription fees like call charges but I'd expect it to be in line with what we've agreed Here.

Again I would ask “Whatever happened to customer service?”

Personally I try to be as proactive, timely, straight talking and transparent as I can. I feel that I'm being transparent and honest by being advising that it is unlikely your BT Sport App will work before we've unsuspended billing.

I do apologise if I've let you down here, let me know if you prefer phone calls instead of emails moving forward.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

First of all I did not receive any email advising that the ticket had been updated. I have checked folders and junk/spam. You will see from my previous messages that the system Does not work as a means of communication.

I appreciate your comments about you dealing with my issues but you are still unable to advise on timescales. My contract is with plusnet and it matters little to me who deals with the issue but after 4 weeks of trying to get this matter resolved I am no further forward.

I am aware of the billing being suspended and am acutely aware of the problems this has caused. All I am asking is when this will be resolved. If you are unable to answer then I would respectfully ask that you find out.

I see no point in discussing this over the phone as it does not appear that you have any new information for me. As far as the equipment is concerned, I already have a returns bag which was not required. I have returned a YouView+ box which was sent in error. I have requested confirmation that the initial equipment return request was erroneous and that I would not be billed for this and that if I am billed I would receive an immediate refund and compensation of £99. I also asked for clarity in what equipment was being requested and that the confirmation that the YouView+ box I returned has been received.

I am sorry for going over old ground but these are legitimate questions I have asked, which have been logged and not answered.

I would appreciate answers to questions and a timescale for delivering the service I contracted.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @Seamos 

First of all I did not receive any email advising that the ticket had been updated. I have checked folders and junk/spam. You will see from my previous messages that the system Does not work as a means of communication.

Thanks for letting me know you didn't get an email, I'll be sure to comment on the ticket specifically selecting the option to email moving forward instead of relying on the on-hold notification to send an email.

I appreciate your comments about you dealing with my issues but you are still unable to advise on timescales. My contract is with plusnet and it matters little to me who deals with the issue but after 4 weeks of trying to get this matter resolved I am no further forward.

I am aware of the billing being suspended and am acutely aware of the problems this has caused. All I am asking is when this will be resolved. If you are unable to answer then I would respectfully ask that you find out.

I'd love to give you a timeframe however I'm afraid there's no way I'd be able to find out. Again being absolutely honest here, I've seen billing accounts suspended from 1 month to 1 year, although that's in rare extreme cases. 

I see no point in discussing this over the phone as it does not appear that you have any new information for me. As far as the equipment is concerned, I already have a returns bag which was not required. I have returned a YouView+ box which was sent in error. I have requested confirmation that the initial equipment return request was erroneous and that I would not be billed for this and that if I am billed I would receive an immediate refund and compensation of £99. I also asked for clarity in what equipment was being requested and that the confirmation that the YouView+ box I returned has been received.

If you've already returned the surplus set top box to us that was sent in error and you've only got 1 box then you don't need to send another one back. As far as I can see our billing team have closed the ticket a while ago that they were using to monitor your account for the return, so there shouldn't be anymore monitoring in place. 

If in the unlikely event you receive notification of a charge for not returning a set top box(Although I understand you have done) then please let me know and I'll get it rectified. 

I would appreciate answers to questions and a timescale for delivering the service I contracted.

Ultimately I can't give you a timeframe and if I did give you one it wouldn't be accurate, because we don't have a timeframe I'm afraid. What we could do though which may or may not fix the issue is close your account and setup a new one, however depending on how the back-end systems react when we go to add the YouView component on a new account it's likely that account will go down the same path but I'm happy to try if you'd want to go ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

Given that the problem started when things were reset, and worsened when rolled back, I think I am best waiting for things to sort themselves out. I have absolutely no confidence in Plusnet and am really hacked off with the experience. I have been frustrated by the failure of the systems, which may or may not be a problem which can be easily fixed, but the standard of customer service has been appalling.

I appreciate your honesty in saying that accounts have been suspended for anything from one month to a year, much more credible that the 48 hour timeframe I was previously quoted. I have always been prepared to pay for the services I have contracted for and apart from the issue of potentially being billed erroneously for the non-return of a box which I should never been asked for, I have not asked for any discount or compensation.

However given the situation I am now in, I am formally requesting that until such time as all services are provided  (Broadband, telephone line, HD Entertainment, BT Sport and BT Sport App) that I receive a 100% discount. 

This may sound a bit extreme, but as I contracted to pay for a combined service which is not being provided, I would ask that this request be fully considered. I am assuming that this decision may not be within your authority level, so if refused I would request that I be provided with the appropriate contact to take the matter further.

I would also appreciate clarification of what payment if any will be taken from my account, which I believe is due in the next few days.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @Seamos

I do again sincerely apologise for the experience you've had.

However given the situation I am now in, I am formally requesting that until such time as all services are provided  (Broadband, telephone line, HD Entertainment, BT Sport and BT Sport App) that I receive a 100% discount. 

This may sound a bit extreme, but as I contracted to pay for a combined service which is not being provided, I would ask that this request be fully considered. I am assuming that this decision may not be within your authority level, so if refused I would request that I be provided with the appropriate contact to take the matter further.

I'm afraid that while the billing of an account is suspended, we can't make any changes to the billing like applying discounts. This isn't anything to do with authority, this is a technical limitation.

However once this is resolved and your BT Sport App is hopefully up and running I'll be happy to discuss a fair and proportionate gesture of goodwill with yourself for the inconvenience we've caused.

I would also appreciate clarification of what payment if any will be taken from my account, which I believe is due in the next few days.

Unfortunately as the billing of your account is suspended, no bill has been generated so no payment will come out within a few days. Once we've unsuspended the billing we'll automatically generate the bill and email you to let you know. 

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

I’m sorry but your response is not acceptable. You (Plusnet) have failed to deliver the contracted service. You have stated I may not receive a bill for a period of up to a year. If you fail to deliver a contracted service then it is a breach of that contract and as such a “goodwill” gesture is not appropriate.
I would therefore ask you to reconsider your response or alternatively I wish the matter referred to a more senior level.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm simply being completely honest with you as always and saying anything different wouldn't be accurate.

We will only charge you for a maximum of 90 days leading up to your bill generating so if in the very extreme circumstance we don't generate a bill for a year then we'll only charge for the last 3 months. There is no one in the customer support centre who can speed this up or advise when this will be resolved, I'm sorry but that's just a fact.

While I'm happy to escalate this to a manager I'm afraid the answer isn't likely to be any different.

If you want to discuss this further I'd be happy to call you back if you're free for a call tonight?

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Seamos
Grafter

My issue is with the failure to deliver a service and not being given an estimate of how long it will take to resolve. If I had been advised of this 4 weeks ago the situation would have different, but having been passed from pillar to post with no communication I wish to deal with a manager who can deal with the issue. With all due respect to yourself, you have told me what the problem is but can’t fix it, likewise no other colleague in the customer support centre can help either so please escalate to a manager.