Did you mean: 

Using the BTTV app for remote recording

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 142

Using the BTTV app for remote recording

Background

As some will be aware, YouView discontinued their native mobile app at the end of March.

To preserve the remote recording functionality, some modifications were made to the BTTV app so it now allows non-BT YouView customers (Plusnet included) to use it.

Configuration

Here's how to set-up and use the app on an Android phone (instruction for an iPhone will be similar, however the menus etc. may look a little different):-

1. Download the BTTV app from the App Store (iOS) or Play Store (Android).

Screenshot_20200330-143049.png
  2. Once installed, open the app and click the 'hamburger' menu top-left (three horizontal lines) to open the overflow menu.

Screenshot_20200330-152851.png

3. Tap 'Settings'.

Screenshot_20200330-152935.png

4. Under 'TV box' you can see the pairing status. Tap the arrow to the right to start the pairing process.

Screenshot_20200330-152944.png

5. Make sure your YouView box is powered up and you have your TV remote to hand. You should also ensure your smartphone is connected to the same network as the YouView box. Once ready, tap 'Next'.

Screenshot_20200330-152955.png

6. The app will search for youYouView box (could take a minute or two).

Screenshot_20200330-153059.png

7. Tap 'Next' once the app locates your box.

Screenshot_20200330-153112.png

8. Accept the prompt from the YouView box using your TV remote.

IMG_20200330_153133.jpg

9. Success!

Screenshot_20200330-153152.png

10. To remote record a scheduled broadcast, navigate to the 'Live TV' section of the app and ensure 'Full TV Listings' is selected.

Screenshot_20200330-152907.png

11. Either locate the program in the programming guide, or click the magnifying glass top-right to search for a program. Make sure you have 'On Now & Later' selected.

Screenshot_20200330-153342.png

12. Select the broadcast you are wanting to record and choose the relevant option to send the request to your YouView box. Please note it can take a short while for the recording to show on your set-top box.

Screenshot_20200330-153355.png

13. To view a list of your current recordings, or to see what you have scheduled, navigate to the 'My TV' section of the app, and tap 'Recordings List'.

Screenshot_20200330-153225.png

FAQ/Known Issues

Q. Why am I being prompted for a username password?
A. The app caters for additional BT content/features that are not available to non-BT customers, which includes Plusnet. If you attempt to access an area of the app that is specific to BT subscribers, then you will be prompted for a BT account username name and password.

Q. The app says my username and password are incorrect?
A. See the question above. The app is prompting for a *BT* account username and password, not a Plusnet One. Unless you have an active BT account with an active BTTV subscription then you will not be able to log into the app.

Q. Some of my channels are missing from the EPG/Programming guide?
A. This is a known issue that is currently being looked into. For further explanation, see the post here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Using the BTTV app for remote recording

I downloaded the BT TV app but it won’t let me connect to my Humax DTR-T2120 box, it keeps giving the error code Ay182 which “allegedly” means the software is out of date BUT my software IS the latest available.

This is on both my iPhone SE and iPad Air 1st gen.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@GaryB1 it seems you're not alone. There's an imminent update due that should resolve this. If you're still experiencing issues after your app updates then let me know.

I can't see the update yet, despite 24hrs having passed since that post ^

Hopefully it's not too far around the corner though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Highlighted

Many Thanks for the quick reply Bob, people have also mentioned that the app doesn’t show their actual channels list, also I’ve not that certain of the Plusnet extra tv channels are missing, I have the entertainment and BT sport lite package but can’t see Eurosport 1 + 2 and about 10 other channels. With luck that’ll also be sorted.

Thanks again mate.

Tags (1)
Highlighted

The BT app is finally working for my iPhone SE and iPad Air first gen, thanks to all those that helped work through the problem.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Dabbler

Still no Eurosport in the TV listings though.

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Taylor09, that's being looked into as per my post here.

Again - no guarantees - but we're looking to see if it's possible to inherit the EPG listing from the set top box pairing instead. Even if possible, it will require an app update so won't be a quick turnaround I'm afraid.

I wouldn't expect to see much movement this month.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Highlighted

I have successfully paired my Plusnet supplied Humax DTR-T2120 with the BT TV App but I am only able to set recordings directly from the box itself using the remote. Any recordings I try to set from the app do not show up in the “My Recordings” list (just says request sent). I have tried unpairing & re-pairing the box. Any ideas?