cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own YouView box for PlusNet TV

FIXED
JimmyBarnes

Using own YouView box for PlusNet TV

I switch from BT to PN in a week or so, and I'd like to take PNTV at some point soon after. According to the TV FAQs I have to get a new YouView box for PNTV to work, even though I'm familiar with a few cases where YouView users have switched providers and have been able to get said providers TV service on their old YV equipment.

I have a BT TV YouView+ box and think it would be a bit wasteful for me to get a new box from PN when theoretically the TV service should work on the one I've got. Can anyone here who has been in a similar situation clarify if a new box really is needed, or if the FAQ isn't strictly true? If I have to pay for a new YV+ recorder to get PNTV when my old one would probably be fine still, it makes PNTV prohibitive for me and not something I could consider unfortunately. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Fixes: 818

Re: Using own YouView box for PlusNet TV

Fix
You can use your own YouView box, but PN will insist that you will take their box in case of issues they will only provide support with their equipment.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

I can vouch for the fact that it works in the opposite direction - YouView+ box from Plusnet works fine with BTTV, so I would be very confident it would work the other way.

To minimise the cost you could take the non-recording version of the Plusnet TV box(£6.99 upfront), and keep it as a spare while using the BT recording box. 

JimmyBarnes

Thank you each. I think when the time comes I will get the £6.99 YV non-recording box, it still seems a bit wasteful to have it if I don't need it but if it means I can get PNTV on my current, superior BT YouView+ box then that's acceptable to me.