Did you mean: 

Using a BT 1tb 4k UHD box for Plusnet TV

FIXED
stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using a BT 1tb 4k UHD box for Plusnet TV

Hi

I'm not currently a Plusnet TV customer (have Plusnet Fibre though), but will move to it when my current Sky contract expires. 

Apart from sport we don't watch live TV and record everything to watch when we want. I don't use catch up either, so hard drive space is important to us.

Browsing the forum (and other sources), seems to indicate that while Plusnet would prefer you to use the supplied YouView box, they don't enforce it's use and using a retail or BT box is fine, although only one box at a time will receive the streamed channels.

So I intend to pick up a BT 1tb box from eBay in advance of my switch so I can a) get a feel for YouView and b) benefit from the extra storage space when live on Plusnet.

What I am keen to know though is, what does the Plusnet version of the YouView software actually look like? Is it branded "Plusnet" as BT and TalkTalk brand theirs or is it just plain YouView as if you had a retail box? Unlike BT and TalkTalk I can't find any pictures of the UI.

With box updates, will using a BT box mean that I receive updates from BT for performance updates and new features or Plusnet? If it's the latter, could using a BT box then cause me problems?

Or will Plusnet ever sell a YouView box with more storage?

8 REPLIES
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Using a BT 1tb 4k UHD box for Plusnet TV

The box itself is not plusnet branded, jsut the standard branding for Youview.

The UI itself is the Youview UI like everyone gets, the bit that is missing is Plusnet dont have an Plusnet App plike BT and TT do, so no purchasing vod content.

I believe if you put the BT box on the Plusnet line it should work fine but you wont get the BT app anymore. Pretty sure the box calls home to tell bt where it is to stop people buying a box and running IPTV from their house in spain etc, so once you turn on as long as you have a valid Plusnet TV account it should work fine I believe.

You also wouldn't get the 4k sport channel as Plusnet don't do UHD.

Netflix 4k works fine though,

stereohaven
Rising Star

Thanks for the info. 

In hindsight I think I will go for silver retail box rather than the BT one as Humax have a 1TB version and to be honest, I prefer the aesthetics.

The BT and Plusnet supplied versions do remind me of an old bedside clock radio!

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fix

The user interface of any youview box is the same

Once you plug in a different box (I use talktalk box as it is the best freeview receiver) the system resets itself and changes from BT tv to plusnet or talktalk

I have tried all version of the BT Humax box and all have interference issue so I got myself a talktalk, the UI is a tad slower than the new youview boxes but faster than the old ones.

stereohaven
Rising Star

So a little update to this, I secured a 1TB Humax DTR-1010 YouView box from a well known auction site so that I could test out YouView.

After a reset and update I can see all of the IPTV channels. I spoke to Plusnet yesterday and did a recontract/TV deal as I was already paying £12.49 a month for BT Sport on Sky, so I have cancelled that and will now pay £13 per month for Entertainment + Sport + HD via Plusnet TV instead.

I am being sent a YouView+ box and it should be here either tomorrow or Monday.

My new question is, how long does it take to activate the TV service as the link I have been given says that my account isn't ready yet?

tv.jpg

Basically I have a multicast enabled router and a YouView box and I am impatient and want to see stuff now! Grin

Tags (3)
jafreer
Rising Star

How can you see all the IPTV channels if PN hasn't activated your TV subscription yet?

stereohaven
Rising Star

Bad choice of words on my part.

I already have PlusNet Fibre and an existing YouView box and I can see the internet channels in the guide:

1.jpg

However if I try to view one I get this message:

2.jpg

jafreer
Rising Star

Ah ok. I don't think you will have any issue using the UHD box in any case.

Telephoneboy
Dabbler

Can anyone confirm that they are using a BT youview ultra HD box on the Plusnet TV service? I have the BT 1TB box that I want to use rather then Plusnet 500GB box,