Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Own Youview Box

Highlighted
JamesieA67

Use Own Youview Box

Hi,

I've read suggestions that this should be possible, but does anyone know if this can be added to my account without locking me into another 18 month contract? The page that shows packages with boxes says 18 months, but the FAQ says rolling monthly. I can't find anywhere to just sign up for TV, though.

I've been trying for days to ask this via chat, but it's either unavailable, or takes my details then tells me it's unavailable.

4 REPLIES 4
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 15

Re: Use Own Youview Box

Hi @JamesieA67,

To provide the Youview service, you would need one of our provided boxes configured specifically for your account with us.

With this in mind, we would only be able to arrange a youview package for either 18 or 24 month term as the hardware is included in the monthly subscription cost.

To arrange this you would need to speak to our customer options team. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matt L
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Not wishing to step on toes here, but there's at least one other customer on these forums that uses their own box. No, it's not me.

Theirs was a BTYV box, which may be the reason why...?

You could try ringing the number given, mention you have your own box, and see if there's any 'wiggle room' in the price.. :rolleyes:

The downside is, by using your own box, that as you need to have already been a subscriber (hence you would need a minimum contract and then rolling monthly thereafter) if your box broke, you'd be liable to continue paying for the TV service.

It might be better to get another new box from plusnet, then use the other box elsewhere. We have 2 PNYV's running, one with a subscription and the other as a catchup, normal over the aerial watching and a freeview recorder.

JamesieA67

Thanks, mine's also a BT box from when I was with them. To be fair, the cost of the new box isn't too bad, it's the fixed length contract that I don't want to take out. I'd thought that may be offsetting the cost of the box, so there might be the option of going straight to a monthly rolling deal.

Part of that is that I expect broadband prices to come down, or at least have more included for the price over time, so prefer the option of being able to move or renogotiate. The other side is customer service seems to be going downhill. I've had repeated problems with my bill and had to spend ages on hold to get it sorted as the chat is always down.

DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

I totally understand your reasons why you don't want a fixed minimum term contract.

You might get a good deal over the phone, you can always say that you'll think about it, you don't have to commit there and then.

In honesty, I can't ever see BB prices falling. Without going into all the ins and outs, fibre actually has (or had) lower running costs for the supplier. But apart from the odd ISP chucking a good deal out there, it tends to only be new customers on a relatively good deal.

Thus far, not witnessed any billing issues!! But kinda expect some as the forums are getting rather busy with billing complaints.

If it were me, I'd called, at least you have a starting point Wink