cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Plusnet Channels on my Youview box

booji
Dabbler

Unwanted Plusnet Channels on my Youview box

I bought a Youview box from John Lewis a year ago. I just wanted it to use it as a PVR and to access iplayer etc.
Now Plusnet has rolled out it's TV service it has invaded my box and added channels. I did not ask for this.
I had a webchat with Plusnet to see If I could get these channels.
The response was they cannot add these channels to my box as it is not their box.
"I that case can you remove these channels from my box?"
The response ....."NO"
So the box I own is now being controlled by Plusnet against my wishes offering services I can't get even if I wanted them.
I should be able to turn these services off if I wish. It's my box, I paid for it, I own it. As far as I'm concerned I am now getting spammed with Plusnet products   Sad

15 REPLIES
ricke17
Grafter

Re: Unwanted Plusnet Channels on my Youview box

Oh dear, I am not even sure if you can 'hide' the channels somehow.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I'm fairly certain it's technically possible to enable the channels. Not sure if our systems make this difficult to do though without provisioning the hardware ourselves?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hex
Grafter

You should be able to hide the channels (instructions based on my box but hopefully they are all the same or similar) - from the guide press the yellow button (edit channels), enter your pin (default is 1234 if you have not set one), select any channels you want to hide and then press the yellow button to apply the changes.
Also note that plusnet has not technically added the channels - your youview box has recognised they are available from your connection and has added them to the guide (same result I know,  but it is not as if plusnet has modified your box against your wishes - its just a feature of the youview box).
colliedog

I have the same annoying issue. Its my box, my £150 spent, but clearly not fully under my control. Having extra channels available on the epg and not able to access is both frustrating and annoying. Rang customer support and they said nothing could be done, I need to have fibre - not necessary as I am a single user! Also if I spent the extra on fibre they would send another box, another waste as then mine would be surplus to requirements.
If Plusnet can only provide the service on fibre why is the info being transmitted to standard unlimited customers? If the info is there the ability to turn it on should be also.
I appreciate the reasons Plusnet state fibre only due to possible bandwidth (think that's the right terminology) issues with recording programmes whilst also using internet etc. but it is very intrusive to dangle a carrot on what is my property.
As a long standing customer (10ish years) this is the first time I have had cause to moan in public about anything to do with their services, I have always found them very obliging in the past.
As a possible solution how about offering these channels as a trial, or without support, on the understanding that if there are issues it can only be turned off again,  or alternatively look at removing the intrusion from those who do not have fibre.
Sorry for the rant but hope people can understand that if I pay for something I would like to control it.
ricke17
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I'm fairly certain it's technically possible to enable the channels. Not sure if our systems make this difficult to do though without provisioning the hardware ourselves?

This is correct. I was having issues with my new pn Youview box and swapped in my old bt YV box and it updated to the Plusnet firmware and I was able to view the IPTV channels on my old BT box!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pedant mode/
When you buy a Freeviiew television you know that a lot of the channels won't be accessible for one reason or another and you don't complain to the television manufacturer, or do you?
Pedant mode off/
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ricke17
Grafter

That's kinda correct. It's the people who've bought a non-Plusnet youview box who are being indirectly take over by Plusnet youview firmware.
Surely the updates should be coming from youview and not the ISP.
I guess it's similar to buying an unlocked mobile in as much as it should just be the generic software on it and not specifically the ISP. Kinda, being hijacked. I mean, what would happen if the on F/w screwed up the non-Plusnet youview boxes? How would it stand up if the boxes had to be returned?
colliedog

Not about my TV although that system has its faults - pay channels on freeview, bit of a contradiction there.  The point is that a bespoke service is interacting with a retail product.
The web page says New and exclusive to our Unlimited Fibre customers, not quite true, I can access the guide and see what I am missing Grin
I think the firmware is standard, its just that the box can see the IPTV channels when connected, that might be the fault of Humax and nothing to do with Plusnet.
Might still consider fibre, if a deal can be done as the channel packages are good, just needed to have my moan first.
ricke17
Grafter

Nah, I understand. You go ahead and moan.
It'll annoy me if I had bought a retail box and it was being indirectly hijacked!
Angry
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: colliedog
I have the same annoying issue. Its my box, my £150 spent, but clearly not fully under my control. Having extra channels available on the epg and not able to access is both frustrating and annoying. Rang customer support and they said nothing could be done, I need to have fibre...

So, is the box shop-bought? Have you had a Youview subscription service with another ISP (BT?) prior to Plusnet? I wouldn't expect the channels to show for ADSL customers.
If Plusnet can only provide the service on fibre why is the info being transmitted to standard unlimited customers?

It's designed not to do that.
If the info is there the ability to turn it on should be also.

Multicasting over ADSL is available but we have taken a commercial decision not to offer it at the moment.
Quote from: ricke17
Surely the updates should be coming from youview and not the ISP.

The updates do come from Youview. They are tailored based on your IP address though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

colliedog

Yes the box is shop bought, DTR-T1010, less than 6 months old and only ever been connected  to my ADSL supplied by plusnet.
The epg and channels are there, the placeholder in the name of Plusnet asked me to subscribe but this has now been replaced with a page stating error BTV-437.

Your commercial decision not to provide over ADSL - fair enough.

As an aside I talked with customer services today, not that helpful. Suggested I upgraded to fibre - happy to consider this.  Insisted I pay £5.00 a month for a box, not going to do that when I have just bought one, especially when mine will do the job.
As a suggestion, you say youview tailor to the IP address, is this issue happening because I have a fixed IP?Huh
Community Veteran

I'm on standard ADSL (with PlusNet) and one of my Youview boxes "WHEN CONFIGURED TO SEARCH FOR IP CHANNELS" did actually find some PN channels.
So what, it's effectively the same as saying to include an unwanted regional over-the-air transmitter? Just ignore or exclude it, you have control.  Wink
Yes there may be some bugs in either or both of Youview/PlusNet but get real, no-one is taking over your box!  Crazy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an aside I talked with customer services today, not that helpful. Suggested I upgraded to fibre - happy to consider this.  Insisted I pay £5.00 a month for a box, not going to do that when I have just bought one, especially when mine will do the job.

The £5 is to cover the actual TV provision, rather than the PVR.
As a suggestion, you say youview tailor to the IP address, is this issue happening because I have a fixed IP?Huh

No. Youview are able to recognise our dynamic IP's too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

FreddieFlint
Grafter

Have to agree with HPsauce .. hide the channels and forget about 'em .. anyone would think PlusNet were stealing sweeties from children to hear some folk