cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy about charge for visit (failed STB - "Out of warranty")

FIXED
w23
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Unhappy about charge for visit (failed STB - "Out of warranty")

I recently (4th March) got in touch to report that my YouView+ box had failed (all the symptoms of hard drive failure) and an engineer visit was arranged a few days later - I specifically recall remarking how daft it seemed to require an engineer visit in the case of a clear hardware failure but was told that was the procedure and there was no other option.

We went through all the usual 'If the engineer finds the fault to be with one of the checks we have asked you to do, finds the YouView box to be damaged due to your fault, you miss the appointment or you cancel the appointment within 24 hours of the engineer visit time we will add a one off fee of £50 to your bill.' which I agreed to.

The engineer visited on 7th March, confirmed the box had failed and swapped it for a new box, everything was left working and satisfactory.  I got a phone call on 10th March to confirm that everything had been satisfactorily resolved and apologising for any inconvenience - all very satisfactory at this point.

6th April, nearly 4 weeks after the engineer visit, I received an email telling me that "the engineer...   ... has informed us that the visit was chargeable. A charge of £65 has been added to your account and will appear on your next bill from Plusnet." and "As you are outside of the minimum term contract under which the STB was provided and because the STB is also outside of its warranty period then the STB is now your equipment. Therefore, an engineer call-out charge is applicable as this fault has occurred within your curtilage to equipment that you are responsible for, this charge has been added onto your account where it will appear on your next bill."

1. At no time was it mentioned that the STB might have been out of warranty (Plusnet, surely, would have known this at the time of the first call).

2. At no time was any charge of £65 mentioned, only £50 for a missed appointment or for a fault in my own checks.

3. If the STB was my property, why did the engineer remove the faulty one and can I have it back?

4. Why did it take nearly 4 weeks from repair to informing me it was chargeable?

If I have been told that the STB was out of warranty and it would cost me £65 to replace I may well have dug out my own old, and still working, YouView box (which I already know works on this service).  Given how little we actually use the non-Freeview channels I may well have decided just to cancel the TV service and save money rather then incur additional costs - I'm suspect I could have restarted the service at a later date and got a brand new STB free of charge.

I wouldn't normally 'go public' with an issue like this but the ticket informing me that I was being charged was immediately closed leaving no option for any reply and the original ticket had closed automatically 2 weeks after the last update, you don't accept customer communication by email and the phone usually involves a significant wait.

Original ticket number: 169707528, follow-up 171946992.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Unhappy about charge for visit (failed STB - "Out of warranty")

I am in a similar situation to you, Last year the hdd failed in mine, it was replaced "under warranty" no charges.
This year it died again, yellow screen then OFF. Totally dead. Now engineer phoned to say he was coming the next day, but never turned up.
They want to send another engineer but I am refusing since I only have 2 months left on my contract and am not willing to accept any charges, I was quoted £195 for a new box, and £65 for a MISSED APPOINTMENT.
I am now referring the case to external adjudicators, since I did not accept the fob off from PN, and they failed to contact me wrt my complaint within 30 days.

This TV system is a totally FUBAR'ed, they don't tell us the length of the warranty and still want us to continue paying, thinking we are covered by our contract.
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,145

Hi w23.

I'm sorry to see we've charged you for an engineer visit to replace your YouView box.

I'm investigating this and I'll update you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Community Veteran

@hairy I have it clearly on ticket that it's £50 for a missed appointment (unless that's a mistake).  I happily agreed to the charge that may occur if I missed the appointment or have not done my checks properly as it was blindingly obvious that it was a hardware failure of the box (couldn't understand why it needed an engineer for something that obvious though), I also agreed that there would be a charge if I the box had been damaged by me (funny I should have to agree that if the box was already my property as stated in the ticket: "As you are outside of the minimum term contract under which the STB was provided and because the STB is also outside of its warranty period then the STB is now your equipment.").

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Community Veteran

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi w23.

I'm sorry to see we've charged you for an engineer visit to replace your YouView box.

Hi @Gandalf, it's not so much that I've been charged, it's more that I was not informed that I might be charged due to my box being out of warranty (a fact that must have been known when I placed the original call) and the only option I was given was for an engineer to visit. At no point was I told that the box was effectively my property now (until I received the email informing me of the charge which is also for a different amount than stated in the previous ticket if the visit was chargeable).

Call me 'w23'
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Thanks for waiting w23.

I'm sorry about the conflicting reasons you were given before and after the engineer visit with regards to when a call-out charge will be applied. I've raised this for internal investigation because this isn't right.

I've made sure the call-out charge is waived for you.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Community Veteran

Thank you @Gandalf, I appreciate you taking the trouble to look into this.

Call me 'w23'
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problems at all.
Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team