cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions...

janeybeans
Grafter

Two questions...

Having just had to ditch one YouView box when it went wrong after 15 months, just wondering what happens if the box goes wrong within the 18 month contract - is it replaced FOC or would another activation fee be payable (looking at the box that records, so another £50?)
Secondly, at the end of the 18 month contract, assuming box still working, would you carry on paying £5 a month or would there be another activation fee payable?

Basically, in a nutshell, once you pay your £50 activation fee, is that it or are there circumstances where you'd need to pay it again?
25 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: Two questions...

Hi janeybeans,
Within the first 12 months, we would replace the box FOC. Following this, it would be chargeable. Out of interest, would you mind clarifying what happened to your old box?
After the 18 month contract, it's just £5 month to month. Remember that it's likely you will have recontracted your FTTC to 18 months as well, so I'd suggest calling our Customer Options Team 18 months down the line to cut a deal.
As a side note - I think "activation fee" is a bit of a vague term really, as we're not really "activating" anything of sorts. The £50 helps towards the price of the hardware that we send out.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
janeybeans
Grafter

Thanks Matty,
Yeah, I was working on the assumption that 'activation fee' was basically paying towards the cost of the box, just used the term so you knew what I was talking about.
So you're saying, that even though it's an 18 month contract, the box would only be replaced within the first 12 months, is that correct?  And yes, our FTTC contract would be renewed within the first 18 months so we would have to look at that, if we went ahead with it.

Our old box (just a standalone YouView box, not tied to any provider) basically went a bit haywire after 15 months, you could watch TV on it fine and it still recorded and you could watch the recordings, but if you pressed one button on the remote, it reacted like you had held your finger on the button, so it'd zoom up/down the programme guide, or the volume would go right up/down, or trying to skip ads on a recording would zoom right through the programme, so it basically rendered the box unusable. 
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Quote from: MattyC
As a side note - I think "activation fee" is a bit of a vague term really, as we're not really "activating" anything of sorts. The £50 helps towards the price of the hardware that we send out.
Matty

Vague, i would say its misleading , if your not activating anything , why don't PN just say £50 hardware cost , i can only assume marketing spin.
Regards
Mike
Mike
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Quote from: janeybeans
So you're saying, that even though it's an 18 month contract, the box would only be replaced within the first 12 months, is that correct?  And yes, our FTTC contract would be renewed within the first 18 months so we would have to look at that, if we went ahead with it.

We will treat it subjectively case by case. However the official stance is 12 months.
Our old box (just a standalone YouView box, not tied to any provider) basically went a bit haywire after 15 months, you could watch TV on it fine and it still recorded and you could watch the recordings, but if you pressed one button on the remote, it reacted like you had held your finger on the button, so it'd zoom up/down the programme guide, or the volume would go right up/down, or trying to skip ads on a recording would zoom right through the programme, so it basically rendered the box unusable. 

Roll eyes
We haven't had any reports of that happening in our testing phase if that puts you at ease?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Fixes: 115

Our first remote started playing up after a few months. Often, when a button was pressed, the red light would flicker on/off briefly but no response from the box at all. Normally the light would remain lit for the duration the button was pressed. Not sure what the issue was but the only way to rectify it was to tap the remote quite forcibly against the palm of my hand. The batteries were seated firmly in the compartment so no issue there. Just before the first year was up I got YouView to send a replacement FOC. That worked well for 8 or so months but now gives the same issue.
Other than the odd program not getting recorded or setting the HD recording also sets the SD, too (doesn't happen all the time) and the occasionally skip in playback our box has served us well for 3 years. Not bad for free.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

janeybeans
Grafter

As far as we could gather, the problem was with the box, not the remote (the remote only flashed once as normal when pressing the button and it also didn't affect the control of the TV with the remote, it was only the box functions that were going haywire.  Supposedly the T1---- models are notoriously unreliable and tend to fail around the 12-18 month mark, or so I've been told.

Anyway, we'd just got a new replacement YouView box, literally within the last week.  I'd heard about the possibility of Plusnet TV and looked into it, but doesn't seem it had been announced then.  I wondered about whether we could return the box we've bought and take up Plusnet TV instead, but too much of a faff.  If/when this box fails we'll look into it again.  Shame you can't just pay the £5 a month and use existing YouView boxes, cos we'd probably have done that for the extra channels.  Maybe something that ought to be considered, seen quite a few people mentioning it here and on the YouView forums.
dick:quote
Fixes: 115

Shame you can't just pay the £5 a month and use existing YouView boxes, cos we'd probably have done that for the extra channels.  Maybe something that ought to be considered, seen quite a few people mentioning it here and on the YouView forums.

I'd be happy to pay a little extra for the same packages to be able to use my own box(s) - maybe an extra £1 a month as I'd still be saving on the 'Activation charge'.
Another oversight seems to be the restriction of one PNTV connection per FTTC subscription.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
Hi janeybeans,
Within the first 12 months, we would replace the box FOC. Following this, it would be chargeable.
Matty

How much?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The cost of the boxes is currently:
YouView set top box £99.00
YouView+ set top box £199.00
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
mwarby
Grafter

so the official stance if the box breaks at 12 months and a day is
- you can pay £99 - £199 for a new box
- you can keep paying us £5 for a service you can't use (as your still in contract)
I'm find this new product less attractive the more I hear
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

AFAIAA the same terms as with a Sky box I can't see your problem  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jimrichards92
Dabbler

That is the same terms as with Sky, but you can get a new one for £65 mainly for an engineer call out or you can buy a replacement box cheap from auction sites, news papers, etc
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sky do offer a fixed price repair though - I suspect in reality this is just a swap out with a refurbished box of course.  Here's an interesting article from Which? however...
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/do-i-have-to-pay-to-get-my-set-top-box-repaired
The same issue of having to pay for a repair, or bear the cost of replacement, issue exists within mobile phone contracts though the cause of failure is more likely to be accidental damage.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Virgin media do things slightly differently.
This quote is taken from here in the GENERAL part of the terms & conditions.
http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/tivo/explore/welcome.html
*Equipment, free servicing and repairs: Equipment remains property of Virgin Media. Free servicing and repairs exclude mistreatment/misuse.
^Servicing and repairs included for the whole time you're with us: Equipment remains property of Virgin Media. Sky customers own their own boxes. We rent our VHD and TiVo® boxes to you completely free. That’s why we can offer you free servicing and repairs (excluding misuse mistreatment) for as long as you’re a customer, not just your 1st 12 months.