cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To get Plusnet TV or not to get that is the question!

marky-mark

To get Plusnet TV or not to get that is the question!

So I'm in my cancellation period with Sky and looking at alternatives. I already have fibre broadband with Plusnet and to be honest almost overlooked the fact that they also offer youview + as they don't make a big thing out of promoting it!

I called up Plusnet to ask some questions about the TV and to be honest the bloke I spoke to didn't fill me with a lot of confidence! If anyone on here had any of the same reservations but went ahead with Plusnet TV anyway I would love your feedback on how things went for you. The things that are still making me undecided are:

Lack of wireless connectivity - as I understand the youview + box needs to be connected via a cable and my router is the other side of the room so it means either having to run a cable around the room (not sure if 10m cable will be enough) or paying extra to buy powerline adapters (plug socket space is already tight). Why does the box not have wireless capability and is that likely to change anytime soon?

£50 connection fee - I already have discounted fibre following a recent deal so not sure if they will negotiate further on this fee? Is the fee added to your next bill or do you have to pay it upfront?

Channel packs - these seem a bit limited and probably only a couple of channels we would actually want. It doesn't look like Plusnet have introduced any additional channels or packs since they launched the TV service (?) or have plans to do so. Would be better if it looked like Plusnet were likely to add to or enhance the service anytime soon?

18 month contract - Is it just the TV at £5 month or do you have to re-contract the broadband as well, do they keep any existing broadband discounts you have agreed? I guess the TV subscription over 18 months is ok but might have to consider if it means another broadband contract.

Youview + box - What's the performance and quality of the box actually like, once setup can you use another youview box with the service?

Sorry for all the questions, just still undecided about the Plusnet TV offering really and whether to go for it or not.

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: To get Plusnet TV or not to get that is the question!

Nope there is no wireless on any of the boxes. You can get 15+m cables though. I ran a cable to a switch behind the TV for all the boxes that need access.
Fee - contact the retention's line
Channel packs nope no changes so far.
I think it is just the TV
Box is OK, you can use any YV box but there are pretty much the same other than the 4K ones which will NOT give you 4K as it is not broadcast by PN.
marky-mark

Thanks Hairy McBiker

Good to hear that the box itself is ok and it doesn't look as though the channel offering will improve anytime soon, so I'd have to fork out for the likes of Now Tv on top to get some of the other channels we watch. It's the lack of wireless on the box that's making me question this more than anything tbh, as i've already got all sort of cables running around the room with fireplace on one side and door frame on the other and another cable is just gonna add to the clutter! Guess I'll have to think a bit more!

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We also left Sky, but I don't think you should directly compare Plusnet TV with Sky, as they are aimed at totally different markets. 

Sky is trying (now more than ever with SkyQ), to be a more premium option, whereas I see Plusnet TV as a more budget friendly option with less content and less bells and whistles, but a friendlier price tag for those that still want some extra TV on top of Freeview.

Both suppliers will offer you discounts, but without those the starting price for Sky is £22 a month, with Plusnet TV the highest package you can have is £19 a month.

On to your specific questions:

Lack of wireless connectivity - Agreed, a bit of a pain in this day and age as everyone likes wireless but I understand they insist on it because it remains the most reliable connection. If you watched an internet channel all day I bet there is more chance of it dropping out occasionally on wireless than wired.

£50 connection fee - As has already been mentioned, negotiate Grin

Channel packs - These pretty much mirror what are available through parent company BT but there is no Sky Sports, Movies or channels like Fox or Sky Atlantic. I guess this all comes down to what you watch. I don't miss anything apart from Sky Atlantic and Fox so I use Now TV alongside YouView and buy a 6 month pass on eBay, usually for £20 - 25.

18 month contract - I re-contracted for 24 months for a reason *cough* connection fee *cough*... Wink

Youview + box - What can I say? It looks like a 1980s alarm clock, it is only 500GB (which for us who record a lot is tight) and I have found the YouView software either great or annoying. Series links are at the mercy of the broadcasters and some of them are rubbish at sending the right info at the right time to start or finish a recording. As others have said, you can use any YouView box as an alternative. Oh and there is no deleted recording recovery which is annoying to me. If you are use to an actively managed Sky guide, this is a bit of a let down. The trade off being of course that is also cheaper.

Other things to consider are a lack of an app like SkyGo or BT TV but if you do take BT Sport you will now get the BT Sport app for free. Nor is there anything like the Sky or BT Store to buy/rent films or TV series if required. Children's channels (if you take the pack) are only in SD although picture quality is fairly decent. At £3 a month though you could get the same channels via NOW TV for less and your kids (if you have them), could then access through an app if needed.

Bottom line is it's Freeview with some added bits, nothing more, nothing less, but for many it's all that's needed as a basic TV service which can then be supplemented with services like Netflix/Amazon/NOW TV/Wuaki/iTunes etc. as required.

Hope this helps.

marky-mark

Thanks stereohaven

A really helpful and informative response, particularly like the reference to the box itself being like an 80's alarm clock Grin

The guy at Plusnet I spoke to was not really budging on the connection fee, could be that I have recently re-contracted my broadband at a good deal and they don't want to give me any more discounts! or that he was just the wrong person to speak to! If he had waived the connection fee I might have gone for it there and then.

I didn't know you could pick up Now Tv passes for that cost other than as a first time customer so that's useful to know.

In the end since putting in my cancellation with Sky and considering the Plusnet offer, Sky have offered me 50% off with a bill credit and on a rolling monthly contract which actually makes the monthly cost cheaper overall for the channels we watch so I guess they have re-hooked this sucker fish again!

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You are welcome, I was probably in a better negotiating position at the time as I was re-contracting broadband and asking about TV together.

I actually have a 40% off for 12 months offer from Sky sitting on the side right now, they will offer 50% eventually, sometimes I have even had 75% for a year, that really does test my resolve and I normally give in! 

Basically, if you enjoy Sky and are happy to pay then the best thing you can do is negotiate with them, because there isn't really a package as good out there IMHO, and they will always do a deal.

If you stick with Plusnet Broadband then you can also add BT Sport in HD on Sky if you want it for £12.49 a month. Much cheaper than through BT directly.

Good luck.