cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible new Youview software

Simh1

Terrible new Youview software

The latest 'update' to the Youview box software is awful, it is more a downgrade than an update.

Others have posted on the terrible new interface, which I agree with, but this post is about the removal of much of the box's functionality.

The new software downgrades the box to a plain PVR, albeit with a few catch up apps thrown in.

It used be a fully integrated catchup box that allowed you to catchup on TV shows just by selecting them from the guide, recordings or recording schedule. Just by selecting a show you could find all available episodes from all available archives - recordings or catchup - and play them with a click of the remote. All that is now gone.

The box acted as a TV show/movie indexer that knew which TV station had which shows, whether they were available on catchup or your recordings, and if you wanted to watch it would take you straight there with a click of the remote and start playing the episode you wanted in seconds. None of that now.

Now you have to search your recordings visually, if you can't find anything, go to each app in turn, wait for it to load it's homepage, search using a remote (a painful process), discover it's not available on that player, rinse and repeat until/if you find anything. Awkward, time consuming, inconvenient.

All these problems associated with plain PVRs had been solved and consigned to history with Youview. Now they've resurrected them like a zombie in a bad movie. Why? Maybe I'm missing something. What a massive step backwards.

Bring back the old software.

7 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Terrible new Youview software

Who is it that makes the changes in the first place PN or the manufacturer?

I haven't updated mine yet I guess I'll have too soon. Roll on August when I can dump it, mine has never been very good it takes 2 minutes for my TV to get a signal from switching on the power - we never leave it on standby. There's been a few changes in the last coupe of years that I wasn't informed about and one of the channels I got it for, Eurosport one, for the cycling keeps breaking up.

mickr62
Grafter

I don't think its anything to do with PN as I have a humax you view box  and don't subscribe to PN tv and my box as updated. Must admit it does not seem as good as the old software at the moment

Mickr 

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10
Marketman
Grafter

Maybe if enough people complain Youview will listen, but I doubt it. The release has been out for a month or two now and they still haven't listened to complaints.

skt

I fully agree that the latest so called upgrade is a retrograde step. I no longer know which channels I have subscribed to , cannot select reminder for channels that are available in catch up, cannot select record or reminder in the information section and the large blacked out section when selecting rewind means that for sporting events it is difficult to see where you want to rewind the live action to. I also wish I could go back to the previous version.

mickr62
Grafter

I complained to Youview and got the following reply

Your concerns, which have been raised by other YouViewers, are taken on board but we have also received some positive feedback regarding the new interface. Coupled with new interface, the software upgrade will allow us to make changes quicker than ever. This means that some of the features many viewers loved such as the Discovery feature and editing channels (such as hiding) will return.

If you click on the link below, you can see that all the feedback points are being taken on board and are being addressed by our Support and Communications Managers.  There are in depth discussions with both positive and negative feedback which results in YouView being moulded into the perfect platform. This is only possible by receiving these feedback points, and we appreciate all points from our viewers. While it may take some time to implement, I can assure you these changes will be made in the future and better our device as a whole.

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/forum-feedback-on-mytv-in-next-gen-software

Mickr

Marketman
Grafter

I had a similar reply from Youview, except for the last paragraph where they seem to be taking on board some of the feedback they have received. The more feedback they receive will hopefully make them address the problems more quickly, it does seem to be having some effect.