cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surround sound not working

samd
Dabbler

Surround sound not working

Just received PN Youview box and Home Hub router and all set up OK.  Am on 31 days notice to Sky and pick up surround sound no problem.  I have Yamaha Sound Projector with different coloured LEDs for Stereo, Surround etc.

Cannot get surround to work with Youview either by connecting with HDMI or optical.  Both are set in settings to receive SS and, of course, I am ensuring prog is being broadcast in SS before checking.

Any assistance/ideas appreciated.

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Surround sound not working

Are you connecting directly or via another box?
There are loads of people on here who have SS working with the G4 (recording box) not sure about the other one though.
Check the settings on the box for hdmi output and make sure it is on 5.1 (probably already done that but double check.)
Can't help further as I no longer have SS.
samd
Dabbler

Thanks for prompt reply - I delayed mine to you cos doing a bit of research is now showing me that some channels that are reporting 'SS' in the info blurb are not actually broadcasting in surround.  I was surprised to see my SS LED come on when I recently turned on to a BBC channel but then went to Ch 4 HD which had been my channel of choice (many in SS) to find no SS LED yet the Info showing it to be SS.

In answer to your questions, I am using HDMI between the recording box and my Yamaha Sound Projector and the Yam has HDMI to audio return channel on TV.  Settings are all correct

Is it feasible that some SS-claimed channels are in stereo?

philbev
Dabbler

Not all HD channels broadcast surround sound on all programmes. The best channel to test if your surround sound is working is "Discovery HD" - Broadcasts SS continuously, even the adverts.

samd
Dabbler

Thanks.  I appreciate your points but my testing has been very limited to the main channels such as BBC, ITV, Ch 4 & 5 etc because I am also hit with this wide-spread problem of being unable to receive ch 300-599.

However all my checking has been by looking at the info on each channel to see whether or not SS is claimed for the particular programme.