Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange problem with Plusnet Multicast (subscription) Channels

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Strange problem with Plusnet Multicast (subscription) Channels

Hi Everyone,

I have a YV (Youview) box and subscribe to the basic Plusnet TV package. I have had this setup for over 2 years and have had no issues.

In the last few days, I seem to have lost the IPTV Multicast (i.e. subscription) channels. If I go to any of the multicast channels, the screen stays black and eventually the IPC6011 error comes up. Note that all other internet connectivity to the YV box works fine. All Iplayers work fine etc. Very occasionally, I get the channel, and when I do, it plays flawlessly for as long as I leave it on. It is almost like an authentication issue or something when the channel is first switched to.

Thinking this is a problem with my broadband connection, I then embarked on trying several different things.

1) I rebooted the YV box.

2) I manually checked if the YV box required any firmware updates.

3) I reset the YV box using Maintenance Mode.

I then moved away from the YV box onto my connections.

4) I have a small network hub behind the TV that supplies the various devices. I bypassed this hub and just plugged the incoming cable directly into the YV box.

5) Thinking the cable to the TV may have an issue, I ran a separate ethernet cable from the router to the YV box.

6) I had a spare Plusnet router, so I next tried that.

7) I then looked at my line stats, connections speed, and SNR margins and all looked good, no change there.

Cool I then hooked up my modified BT Openreach modem so I could run DSLStats and look at line errors etc. All looked good there.

So at this point I am thinking the issue could be either with the YV box (but I suspect not), or some cabinet setup for Multicast (I think this is it).

I say that because trawling through other forums, I came across a post from someone describing the same issue. After nearly 3 weeks of engineer's visits and modem replacements etc, the issue was resolved by Openreach making a change to Multicast settings at the exchange (presumably for that cabinet the user was on).

So if anyone from Plusnet could pick this up or if anyone has any other suggestions, I would be grateful.

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Re: Strange problem with Plusnet Multicast (subscription) Channels

Just to add to this, I also tried a second YV box. After authenticating the channels to work on that box (the subscription channels will only work on one box at a time), and it took a few attempts to do this, this box had exactly the same issue.

In other words, mostly the subscription channels would not work, but on the occasional time one does, it plays flawlessly as long as I don't change the channel again.

So this would seem to rule out a fault with the YV box.

It could be a firmware issue with the YV box I suppose.

It could be a cabinet/exchange issue.

It could be my connection, although there are no other issues, and if a channel starts playing, it works flawlessly.

Can any of the PN staff advice please?

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 921

Thanks for your post @jafreer, apologies for the delayed response and I'm sorry to see you've lost access to your IPTV multi-cast channels. I've been looking into this for you and it looks like we've reprovisioned the channels on Thursday Evening.

Have you been able to access your multi-cast channels since then?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Just to add to this, another person on the forum (Kaz14) is reporting exactly the same issue.

Given the amount of troubleshooting both PN and myself have carried out, I now believe this to be a network issue.

Plusnet, can you provide an update please on what steps are being taken to understand this issue?

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me @jafreer

I'm looking into this for you now and I'll respond back to your ticket shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @jafreer I've been looking into this and I've made some changes which should help diagnose this.

I've added a reply to your support ticket too 199278648 Can you let me know how it goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team