Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound can vanish after fast forwarding

Pete_uk
Dabbler

Sound can vanish after fast forwarding

Hi all

For the past week I have had a intermittent problem when fast forwarding recorded TV shows/sport. Occasionally when 'play' is pressed again the picture plays fine but there is no sound. Stopping the recording and starting it again does nothing and there is no sound on any YouView or Freeview channel. taking the HDMI out both ends doesn't do anything. the sound through any other device (other Freeview recorder, blu ray) is fine. The only way to get the sound back is to turn the box off eith by pressing the power button for 5 seconds or switching the switch at the back on. 

It only started last week when my knackered CAT 5 cable started loosing some bits between one end and the other meaning we had intermittent connection loss causing problems. (Cat 7 cable is not purring nicely, so that's sorted.)    

12 REPLIES 12
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 273

Re: Sound can vanish after fast forwarding

Sorry to hear you've been having issues @Pete_uk

Just to confirm do you still have no sound if you access an on-demand app on the box such as BBC iPlayer?

If so it may be worth carrying out a software reset by going through the instructions here

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

What you've described is something that used to happen on both of our PNYV PVR's.

I did the following to both boxes and this stopped the issue you've highlighted above. It isn't perfect and we do still (now rarely) witness the sound not working, but since then, rewinding (or fast forwarding or play, pause, play) restores the sound immediately.

Our 'solution' was to change the supplied HDMI cable for a better quality one and via the box menus, we flicked from stereo to surround and back to stereo (oddly quickly flicking between the sound settings actually boosted the sound even though it was back to stereo)

The remote how to is (blue) Y - settings - picture and sound - HDMI sound - from stereo to surround (wait for screen pop up) and back to stereo

Personally I'd try the remote option first as it's free Wink

(and getting a new HDMI might not fix this either, so don't buy one on my advice)

Having said all of that, the only time we need to turn it off and on again is if we've had it paused for a long time, sometimes the box won't fast forward at all, but this is nothing to do with the sound issue you've got.

Pete_uk
Dabbler

OK, thank you both I will keep both in mind and give them a try. Can only try one thing at a time to eliminate any problems! 

Pete 

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 690

No problem Pete, let us know how things go

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Pete_uk
Dabbler

Still have the problem, it seems more regular. I did find on the BT TV forum that a fix had been tested and was looking good. 

Apparently skipping instead of fast forwarding can prevent this. I guess it's just a case of waiting 

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to us Pete.

I'm sorry to see that this is still a problem.

Can you confirm if you've tried the steps my colleague Matt suggested?

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

I did find on the BT TV forum that a fix had been tested and was looking good. 

Well, that's a new one on me.

(plus as ours is better, I wonder if it could be only certain batches of PVR?)

gcogger

Mine has done this since the day it arrived, and none of the previously suggested fixes has worked - in fact it seems to have got worse recently.  Previously, it only happened if changing fast forward speed, or switching from forward to rewind etc., but now it sometimes does it even with a simple short bit of forward/rewind.  I've simply got used to using the skip forward 1min and back 15 seconds buttons, as these always work fine.  I assumed that it was just another software bug, to go along with the other ones Smiley

I may try the fix from DS, though...

Pete_uk
Dabbler

Yes, I did the first 'level' of software reset. I just don't want to loose any recordings at the moment!

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 42

Thanks for confirming, @Pete_uk.

I can appreciate fully you not wanting to delete all of your recordings, however, I do need to advise that a full reset would be the next troubleshooting step.

Owen P
 Plusnet Help Team
Tech

I am having the same annoying problem of losing all sound (HDMI, optical and analogue audio out), I just joined Plusnet a couple of weeks ago so new STB DTRT2120 updated on first switch on to software 32.23.50.  To aviod this fault happening I will use skip instead but as fast forward is advertised as an asset for Youview it should be updated to work properly.  I have already lost two recordings by having to reboot the box and it spoils the continuity of watching a programme.

It seems to happen on IP delivered channels, mainly noticed on SkyFi but as I have not recorded much yet not sure if other channels are affected.  Freeview recordings seem OK. 

BT forums have been reporting this problem for over a year and a fix is promissed?  Will Plusnet get this as well?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting in touch @Tech

I'm sorry to see you're having this issue too.

I've passed this onto our products team for further investigation and we'll update you as soon as we know more.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team