cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound breaking up on internet channels

paul_m
Hooked

Sound breaking up on internet channels

The sound on my YouView+ box is cutting out momentarily every 4 seconds. I’ve tried using the cable and HDMI port my DVD player is using without problems but every combination of port and cable is fine with the DVD player and has the sound problem with the YouView box. I don’t have a TV aerial plugged in at the moment but every channel I have tested coming over IP is affected similarly. I’ve updated the software (I have to do this pretty much every time I want to watch BT Sport but that's a different issue that has never been resolved).

Anyone had a similar issue? I suspect it's a hardware failure. Tried to get some help via online chat earlier but nobody was there and it's not possible to raise a ticket via email anymore.

6 REPLIES 6
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Sound breaking up on internet channels

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch - I just responded to your other thread.

This sounds like it needs either a system reboot or an engineer. Instructions on the reboot are below - if this doesn't help, get back in touch and we'll run you through the engineer process:

1. To access maintenance mode, the YouView box must be powered off using the power switch on the back of the YouView set top box.

2. Whilst holding the down button on the top of the set top box, the power should then be turned back on (using the power switch again)

3. The down button should be held down until a screen with Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y:Power) at the bottom appears.

4. Once this screen appears, the down button can be released and the Power button on the YouView box should be pressed.

5. Select Factory Reset, delete recordings then press the right button until the set top box starts to perform a reset.  

Best wishes,

Dave

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Could be a throughput issue? Try a test here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest but make sure you are plugged into the router, not wireless. The test runs a multi thread and single thread test, the lines should be close together. If there is a gap between the lines, it could be exchange congestion. I had a similar experience on Vodaphone when trying to stream stuff.

Mark

paul_m
Hooked

I got 27Mbps down 5.9 up on the test - upload a little lower than usual and upload quite a lot lower. However, I'm certain throughput is not the problem: if it was, I would expect the picture to break up too. I'd also expect it to be less regular and consistent (it is every 4 seconds). We regularly stream multiple Netflix streams concurrently with no problems. The only sound problems I see (well, hear!) is with the YouView box, and this is only started recently.

paul_m
Hooked

Thanks Dave. I tried that and after setting it all up again, the problem was still there. I then lost sound completely on BT Sport after about ten minutes. Power cycling restored it but the break in sound every 4 seconds is still there. Interestingly, the sound problem is NOT manifesting itself when I stream over the BBC iPlayer app on the YouView box.

My box is a Humax DTR-T2120, by the way. I'm not sure if this has been superseded by a new model now but it has always been problematic: it says it needs a software reset practically every time I turn it on, which seems to cause it to lose the sport channels soI have to do a software update to get them back. I miss the first ten minutes of pretty much every match I want to watch! If it wasn't for the BT Sport iPhone app I would have cancelled YouView already.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 62

Thank you for the information @paul_m, sounds like we need to get an engineer booked for you. Can you please take a look at the ticket I have created on the account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=183230387, let us know once you have replied.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
TheJayBee
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Try pausing the live programme for a few seconds and then start watching it again (a few seconds behind real time).  Do you still have the problem?