cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield TV Signal issues

Elvenstranger
Dabbler

Sheffield TV Signal issues

I hope someone can help before I go crazy, for the last week our TV signal has been poor to say the least, my more recent retune has lost channels (no BBC1 SD or HD now).

I've looked here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch#faults 

and it looks like the Sheffield transmitter has a fault but I don't know anyone else having issues (most friends seem to use Sky).

Is this a known problem?  do we just have to wait?  is there any way to swap to point to Emley Moor which I'm sure used to be our transmitter.

The family is getting cross at me, can anyone help please!?

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Fixes: 515

Re: Sheffield TV Signal issues

I'm in Sheffield south and I use the Emley Moor transmitter. Most of my neighbours are on Belmont but research suggested Emley Moor was the best option.

If you are on the Sheffield (Crosspool) relay I believe you would need a different aerial along with re-aligning to the Emley Moor transmitter.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 92.0 (64-bit)

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Which transmitter is showing as faulty?

I've  tried the checker and all the transmitters serving Sheffield look 'green' to me.

I've always used the Crosspool transmitter because I'm in a direct line with it, and where I live the Emley Moor transmitter is only a few degrees away in terms of aerial direction, which although considerably more powerful is also much further away.

IIRC your aerial needs to be horizontally polarized for Emley, vertical for Crosspool if you want to experiment with the reception from them, although it is of course possible that it's either your aerial or cabling/connectors that are causing the problem.

Strat

Have you tried a full retune of the TV. There have been recent retune events on that transmitter.

It's a long shot.

I re-read your post and see you have retuned.

Elvenstranger
Dabbler

Thanks, I'm sure when I first setup my box it gave me options, I'm wondering if the aerial has moved a bit with the weather, if its only a few degrees between a good and bad signal that could explain it

Elvenstranger
Dabbler

I think I was misreading the site, it just says Sheffield is variable (its showing amber). 

Starting to think my aerial has moved a bit with the weather.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

What part of Sheffield you live in obviously affects the angle of separation between the different transmitters, and a slight misalignment could make quite a difference.

Do you know which transmitter you (believe) you are set up to receive from? I have checked, and a clue could be in whether your aerial array is aligned vertically (Crosspool) or horizontally (Emley Moor).

Strat

Considering where they are the connections can deteriorate.

I went to a property recently and the down-lead was full of water.

When I took the plug off the end it started running out so maybe a new aerial is called for, sadly not a cheap option.