Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall I Bother With This Offering?

PembsPanther
Grafter

Shall I Bother With This Offering?

Morning All Smiley
FINALLY getting upgraded to fibre this Friday so am now toying with the idea of PN TV but cannot make my mind up if it is something I should be bothered with or not..........
Currently have normal freeview and also a NOW TV Roku Box, the 720p white one, I have side loaded this with Plex and also have a home media server that stores all our media, we then stream anything we want directly through Plex to a multitude of different devices whether at home or out and about over the internet, it is a fantastic thing and the Roku box is simply brilliant and is also has WIRELESS internet connectivity! (Really PN, no wireless capability on either YouView box? Hardly instils me with confidence!)
I had decided to buy Roku sticks for all the "other" televisions in the house and then either bring in a Roku 4 from the US or a UK Roku 3 for the main television but qite annoyingly none of the Roku boxes have freeview HD built in and our televisions is a few ywars old now, a Chinese special and the inbuilt freeview software is painful so the fact that they YouView boxes have freeview HD built in is a plus point.
So what do you think? Should I just get a new TV for downstairs with freeview HD built in? Maybe just a freeview HD box for it? I think my Roku plan with Plex will be far far superior to the PN offering, do you agree or am I missing something................
NOW TV is not a consideration, only got it for the subsidised box, subscription ran out ages ago and never renewed, had a Sky Sports day pass a couple of time and my son would like some sport access but far too expensive with NOW TV, BT Sport (I think) is available on Roku anyhow......
Insights and suggestions welcome Smiley
Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Shall I Bother With This Offering?

Personally if I had what you have just get a FV HD box.  (Or an ex BT/TT YV box they are just FV+ HD with the iptv on top and quite cheap 2nd hand)
PembsPanther
Grafter

Hello Smiley
Thanks for the reply, I stumbled across my setup pretty much by sheer luck, for once seem to have got it half right on the first attempt! Really tempting for a fiver a month though especially the premium box with the on board recording and series links etc, the 20 premium channels for me are great as well as it is all stuff I watch and currently stream or download from elsewhere, freeview HD built in another plus, should be a no brainer for a fiver a month really.
It's the dam wired connection that is making me question it, a very cheap and bizarre thing in the year 2016 to leave out of the box, not even on the premium one with the £50 "activation" fee. I hate the amount of wires that come with most modern entertainment tech and have spent the last 12 months minimising them all at home so the thought of moving the router (NOT happening!) or adding another long Ethernet lead makes me a bit annoyed and peed off to be honest!
ahhhhhhhh Plusnet why do you make life so hard sometimes!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What wired connection? I use home plugs for my PN Youview box.
Otherwise I don't think The PN Youview box would meet your high standards. I got one when I sacked Sky and BT sport was the attraction for me as I enjoy Rugby and I'm happy with the few Premiership games they do have and the Champoins Leage coverage is very good. 
Mainly I'm saving 25 quid a month by sacking sky and giving my TV business to PN along with my fibre. And my Sky box has reverted to Freesat from Sky.
Her indoors uses the smart TV upstairs but PN don't offer multiroom. I can use the same account for Netflix for when the Grandkids stay but that's not multiroom or anything clever.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PembsPanther
Grafter

Hi Peter
Thanks for taking the time to reply and also your insights with regards to how you use yours, it is incredibly tempting and I am almost decided I iwll go for the "premium" box because at a fiver a month it is a no brainer really and great value. I will probably use it as a Freeview HD receiver with built in recording and then the premium channels and BT Sport will be added bonuses.
Have to slightly disagree with you in one way though, I do not think any device like this having built in wireless capabilities s being a high standard, not nowadays anyway if Google, Amazon and Sky can incorporate it into cheap 20 quidish "sticks" then there really is no excuse why a box with online capabilities, freeview had and onboard recording should be lacking it, would have cost pennies to incorporate and then this thread would not have even been written.
Thanks again Smiley
PembsPanther
Grafter

Forgot to mention regarding powerline adapters, yes they are an option but they are bulky, even the smallest ones compared to nothing be there are bulky, they rob you of at least 2 plug sockets and produce at the minimum another 2 wires, so really are a worst option that one long lead directly to the router.
more importantly though they are a massive expense to pass on to the consumer rather than the manufacturer doing the job properly to begin with and giving the boxes wireless capability, the cost in comparison is drastic, it would have cost the manufacturer literally pennies to incorporate it as opposed to 25 - 30 quid for even the cheapest nastiest set of powerline adapters.
The problem for me is penny pinching and shoddy design from the outset, this then makes me question things like well will the box work as intended? Will it be fast enough? Will the software running it be upto any kind of decent standard? If they can penny pinch on such important parts of the core design it does not instil confidence in the rest oft he design and software.
As said though for a fiver a month.................
Community Veteran

The thing is IF you commit to the £5/month then the box is ON LOAN, if a better one is released then they MAY issue an update, if it fails it will be replaced etc.
I run an ethernet cable from my router to a 5 port hub downstairs for all the stuff that wants connected. My Android TV box has wifi but the ethernet connection is 1000% better. I can watch 1080P stuff off my file server.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I use one of these http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-4pe.htm
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
RJay

The lack of wifi on the Youview boxes I believe is down to the IPTV channels being multicast rather than the usual unicast for Netflix iplayer etc. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
I tried powerline adapters with mine . They worked fine with the catch up services but I had issues with the IPTV channels.
Community Veteran

You need at least 500Mb ones or they aren't fast enough. Or so I have been told, I use wired.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it Smiley
Well I will not be ordering anything until after the 18th of Feb as PN have cocked up my fibre upgrade order so although it was due to be activated tomorrow and although the router is here ready to go the order was never properly placed and accepted by the supplier, BT, so someone who does know how to use the order screen has re-done it for me but the earliest it can now be done is the 18th of Feb!
It would be totally laughable if it was not so sad that a company the size of PN have issues to the extent you can accurately predict when you place an order that it is going to fail somewhere along the line and you will end up having to plae it again at least once more before they actually process it.
Have kept a diary of the calamities I have been through with PN over the last 2 years, it is quite intense reading and here I am stuck in a contract until May 2017! Might see if OFCOM can persuade them to let me go, truly had enough now and at the end of the day they have only 70% of the time provided the service I am paying for so surely they are in breach of contract anyway, we will see, I do know this may well be the cherry on the cake for me with PN, too many cockups now to keep ignoring and then no real apology or expidited service to try and put things right, just weary with it all now Sad