Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service says I'm not subscribed to channels

albo42
Dabbler

Service says I'm not subscribed to channels

Hi

Only had YouView a short while and when I try to access some of the Entertainment channels included, most of the time it says I'm not subscribed to the channel. If I click "Back" I see the "plusnet support" page for details of who to call. If I click OK most of the time they then play. Sometimes not.

Causes a problem when I try to record something obviously. 

What could be causing this?  My YouView is connected to a Solwise powerline adapter rated at 200 Mbps. 

Thanks

Alan

17 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Re: Service says I'm not subscribed to channels

Hi @albo42,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us through our community forums regarding your issue.

Have you been through any of the maintenance options for your set top box?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
albo42
Dabbler

Hi

I have connected a Network cable directly to the YouView box and tested access to the internet programs and this still gave errors on some of the channels with error codes IPC6011. Some of the channels it was fine. 

I rebooted the Openreach box and the Plusnet router and this appeared to have helped but soon the channels were giving errors again. I did have the cable plugged into port 4 of our router however noticed some instructions that said "do not use port 4" Why ? However, both the wired connection and the 200 Mbps Powerline connectors gave similar results. Internet channels not reliable.

Sometimes when I click "back" on the first error and presented with the Plusnet page, clicking OK will allow access to the channel. This is only temporary however. 

Hope this helps with some further information.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Thank you for getting back to me @albo42,

Have you tried to reset the set top box?

If not here are the instructions on how to do this:-

• Power the set top box off by unplugging the power cable
  • Reconnect the power cable, putting the set top box into standby mode
  • Hold the down button on the remote control until the enter maintenance mode screen appears. Once this appears, release the down button
  • Press the set top box’s power button to continue

Once you have done this just use the navigation button on your remote to select which option you want to use. I would recommend trying the Software Reset option first and then let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

I used to get this type of error when I first connected to YouView, using power-line adaptors. Switched over to Ethernet cable so the YouView box was hard-wired in to my network, and no further issues.

Is your set up capable of connecting directly via Ethernet cable?

albo42
Dabbler

Hi,

thanks for message. I could route a cable in the loft and down to the TV. Not too convenient. I did test all internet channels today and they all played with no errors. Not sure why. Done nothing else since !

albo42
Dabbler

Hi  Ben

thanks for your reply. Not had to try this as yet . Checked channels today and they all played with no errors. That's never happened before. So, keep fingers crossed all OK at present. If it happens again I'll try your suggestion by resetting the box

Thanks

al6000al
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hey Albo, 

I seem to be having similar issue to you where I intermittently but regularly get the message that I am not subscribed to certain channels which I am actually subscribed for.  Often, if I change channel or go into the guide and come back, this will resolve but it doesn't always work.  It is not "user friendly" for the whole family which means that the kids just give up on channels that I am paying for them to have available (main reason for the subscription to be honest).  

You seem to have resolved your issue, did you take any particular actions that fixed it? 

I recently 'upgraded' our powerline adapters to try and combat slightly patchy and blocky pictures on the IPTV channels. The picture quality is now much better, but we do instead see much more of this refusal to actually start playing the channel which seems an odd side effect.  

Thanks, 

Al

albo42
Dabbler

Hi

sorry you are having the issue I had. I tried a few solutions to "test" if our powerline adapters were causing the issue i.e. running an ethernet cable directly to the router. At the time I saw no change - still getting errors on the internet channels. I then rebooted our router AND the Openreach box. We have fibre to the end of the village but still have a good download speed. However after all the fiddling about all appeared to work fine , even with the powerline plugs.

There was a suggestion from PlusNet support ( he responded in the forum post) to reset the YouView box. I hadn't tried that but would if problem came back.

Hope this helps somewhat !

Regards

A

al6000al
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks, 

I think I will try power cycling the Router and homeplugs.  

Al

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had similar usually in he middle of a Premier League or Rugby game so wondered if it was something to do with BT's systems being overloaded. I get the annoying message that I'm not subscribed to the channel!  I usually get it working again by rebooting the router and selecting another subscription channel before going back to the channel I was watching. Rebooting the router goes down like a cup of cold sick with other family members followed by digs like why don't we go with a "proper" ISP Crazy2

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
albo42
Dabbler

OK going with another ISP but they all use the same infrastructure ! Having been with PlusNet for several years now out internet has never gone down. Also, living in a rural village can't complain either even though we only have fibre to the end of the village.

Albo

Community Veteran

@albo42 have you any experience with another ISP and their subscription services? Re-read the post my issue is not the internet going down but being told by the system that we don't have a subscription!

I was hoping for a response from a member of staff other than rebooting or going through a maintenance cycle when we loose connection in the middle of a game, when access to sports was a main reason for keeping the PNet subscription going!

Not a professional service IMHO. 

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
albo42
Dabbler

Hi

sorry, no I've had no experience with any other subscription service

Regards

Albo

Community Veteran

I just want a member of staff on here to justify their response to the fault which your heading to the thread so eloquently describes .
BT spend millions on rights to transmit EPL and RFU games for their flagship mainstream media operation and we are told to reboot our router! Schoolboy in his bedroom stuff not when you have invited friends round to watch a game!
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra