Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows not detecting Multicast use

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

SamKnows not detecting Multicast use

I am on Plusnet's 40/2 fibre product and a long time member of the Samknows reporting. I have noticed something odd in my SamKnows reports. Downstream speed ( multithread) seem to report 36Meg reliably (which is fine) except for occasional downward spikes which occasionally go as low as 10Meg. (Screenshot attached).
The spikes seem to correspond to whitebox tests which happen when I am watching the multicast channels (BT Sport). It looks as if the whitebox I have does not detect multicast traffic as network traffic and schedules tests even when multicast traffic is high.
Does anyone else here see this behaviour? Can anyone confirm that the Samknows whitebox detects multicast as network traffic and avoids testing when it is active - It certainly passes it through as all the wired traffic - including that feeding the YouView box  - is routed via the Whitebox.
Is there a firmware update to the box ( which I have had for almost five years) which will correctly detect the multicast traffic?
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: SamKnows not detecting Multicast use

have you contacted SamKnows on community?
Will Moderate For Thanks
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Yes I have, and am waiting for a reply. I just thought I would ask here in case any other PlusNet customers had seen the same thing, given that it seems related to the multicast TV streams.
Community Veteran

I thought a multicast TV stream was only a few Mb/s (certainly less than 10Mb/s) so, even if it was affecting the SK testing the result should not be lower than ~26Mb/s if watching (internet) TV.
Have you tried another (any other as long as it's reliable) speedtest such as http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html - test with the YouwView box off then switch on and 'tune in' to (e.g.) BT Sport and test again while the blokes on your telly are kicking their ball around just to see what difference it 'should' be making?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
wisty
Aspiring Pro

I have not yet heard back from SamKnows, but I ran the tests this evening as suggested.
Averaging a few tests without the YouView box playing multicast channels the download speeds averaged 36.4Meg. With the box playing a BTSport channel the average was 34.1, so on average the difference is only a couple of meg - which explains the relatively small dips in the Samknows results. That suggests the box (at least the five year old one I have)  probably doesn't stop testing when the broadband link is  in use by multicast channels.
I suspect the bigger drops are transients - there seems to be more jitter on the test while the multicast streaming is going on. Although it's only a couple of Megs on average  it is probably a fairly peaky signal in that if the picture changes significantly I presume there is  bigger burst.
I await SamKnows response.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

I noticed my SamKnows box has started testing Video testing again, which has lead to an extra 4Gb of data usage a day, despite me asking them to stop in November.
All this extra traffic on the Network must cause havoc for the bandwidth planners!
wisty
Aspiring Pro

I have had a response from SamKnows
"This is an unusual case, if you confirm your full address I will send you a replacement device which should fix this issue? "
So I will swap out the box when it comes and see what happens.