cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Configuration for Internet (Multicast) Channels

kdhuk
Grafter

Re: Multicast config for alternative routers

Anyone had any success with a Netgear D6400?
(This is a new VDSL combined modem/router that does appear to support IPTV unlike previous Netgears)
If so does it work out of the box or need configuration?
PJD

Youview working on a Draytek Router
Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.7.6_232201
Build Date/Time : Jan 14 2015 19:21:28
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A
Applications->IGMP->tick "Enable IGMP proxy" and "Enable IGMP Snooping"
Regards
PJD
mikewhitehead50
Dabbler

I have followed the steps above to get th TP-Link Archer C8 working, which it does. However, the picture breaks up for a few seconds every few minutes. It doesn't make it unwatchable, just a little anniying. Anyone with experience of this?
ricke17
Grafter

Are you using powerline adapters?
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
mikewhitehead50
Dabbler

Yes I am.
ricke17
Grafter

It's probably the powerline adapters then - I switched to a long ethernet cable and all is well.
Try and reset/resync them maybe?
FreddieFlint
Grafter

Just like to add the my TP-Link WDR-3600 work just fine with the latest firmware, no fiddling with settings or anything  Grin
ricke17
Grafter

The Netgear D7000 works perfectly with Plusnet TV - however you will need the current test firmware (V1.0.0.20_1.0.1_TEST_0817) for it to work until Netgear releases their new firmware.
More info here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,141839.0.html
I can provide you with the test firmware if you want (just PM me on here), but since I don't work for Netgear nor am that technically minded, I cannot provide any technical support other than pointing you to the above thread.
Rick.
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Router Configuration for Internet (Multicast) Channels

PLA / ethernet alternative
I am also having major problems with my powerline adapter network. It has deteriorated to the point where it cannot reliably serve the youview box. I suspect one of the many cheap chargers or psu scattered around is pumping noise back into the mains; which one is anybody's guess.
As a long ethernet cable is not a viable option I followed up on a chat I had with TP-Link support and installed a TL-WA890EA wireless bridge, which they said should work (with the caveat that it might not!). I have given it exclusive use of the Archer C8's 5Ghz wireless band, and it feeds the TV and YV boxes via short ethernet cables.
This arrangement is now working as well as the powerline adapters ever did, just a very occasional glitch on the sound which, tbh, I'm not sure isn't actually down to the incoming signal
christhedj

Netgear Routers are difficult, but not impossible. The key thing is to choose a fixed IP address for the IPTV connection in the range 169.254.xx.xx with the subnet 255.255.255.0
This is separate to the configuration for the main internet connection. It works! I've been told by Netgear that the next firmware updates to Netgear products will include an update to configure Plusnet TV automatically. But in the meantime - this will get it working.
plscomms

Has anyone had any success running this through a pfsense firewall as their main gateway?
I'm running this via the nanobsd version of pfsense on a Watchguard Firebox x750e.
My configuration is, I think, *almost* OK as I can successfully watch some channels but not others. Probably 40% work in total.
If I fall back to the plusnet router all channels work fine so I don't think there's an issue at plusnet's end.
I'm suspecting a fundamental problem with the igmpproxy but sadly the pfsense version of igmp is ancient. There is sadly no igmp snooping option to enable.
The key to getting some of the channels working was to ensure IGMP proxy upstream contains the subnet "109.159.247.0/24" along with the usual "224.0.0.0/4" subnet.
I'm hoping either another range is needed for the other channels, or there's an issue with the IGMP negotiation (perhaps V3 is trying to be forced?)
Any help gratefully received!
Thanks
demberton
Dabbler

Draytek Vigor 2760n. Firmware 3.7.5.1 Apr 24 2014.
Turned on the IGMP proxy and snooping, and it works perfectly in SD and HD.
BTW when I ordered they didn't say anything about needing to change the router. I was a bit puzzled as to why they were sending me one.
mole1967

New to forum so please be gentle!
Has anyone used the TP link VR200 with Plusnet TV successfully? Using this modem router with my fibre connection and seems excellent.
Have just ordered TV and would like to continue using if possible. I think it supports multicast!
Any thoughts?
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Unfortunately, TP-Link don't have a manual on-line and the spec only states IGMP v1/v2/v3. However, does the router "network->LAN" page have anything about IGMP snooping, which would indicate multicast is available.
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 60

Unfortunately, TP-Link don't have a manual on-line and the spec only states IGMP v1/v2/v3
Strange that they don't have an online manual. They do have one for the VR900 though, which appears to be similar except that it's VDSL/ADSL. That has configuration for IPTV in Chapter 7, maybe the VR200 is similar...
edit: I see that the VR200 is actually VDSL/ADSL capable ( even tho it's listed in the ADSL2 section of Tp's products ) so I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware is very similar ( if not identical ) to the VR900
In fact if you look at the specs on the TP site , in the package contents for the VR200 it says
AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Archer VR900
Grin