cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Configuration for Internet (Multicast) Channels

dmpitts
Dabbler

Re: Multicast config for alternative routers

That would be most useful, thanks very much, I may have already set up my Billion correctly as I am still getting IPC6023 when I use the Plusnet modem which was supplied as part of the trial.
My setup is simple OR modem->router->youview all via ethernet cable, so it should work. I have raised a support request about this (#84940642) and I await their response.
adie:quote
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

ok so I didn't even open the 582n that was supplied for the trial,
I'm using a billion 7800DX router and after enabling igmp in the wan config and adding an Ethernet bridge mode to the wan port plugged in the youview box via a gigabit switch and it worked perfectly, going to see later on if using it via homeplugs also works (again through the network switch) or if other network traffic once the kids are home will cause problems but certainly so far its working nicely Smiley
edit I took my info on what to do from here http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2178 which may well be of benefit to anyone else with one of the newer 7800 routers Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
markeagles1973
Grafter

Ill open a new one to be honest i gave up . Ill reinstall and hopefully i can get some info from you ?)

Mark
I am running openwrt successfully on and x86 PC motherboard with triple gigabit LAN ports, but the information in my post further up this thread should work (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124042.msg1093765.html#msg1093765).  I use mcproxy instead of igmproxy, and you will need to add a new interface to the ethernet port which currently has your wan interface (I called mine ewan).  Then you can set up firewall rules to only let muticast traffic travel on that interface.
Show us your /etc/config/network file and I might be able to help you out (edit out your plusnet username / password info!)
Might be best to open another thread to stop this one getting too busy.
thompson9100

For info of anyone else looking to see if a Buffalo router will work, according to their tech support, the only one that supports IPTV is the WDR1166dhp-ru.  The EU version doesn't support it.
Shame really, as I've quite liked them.  Resigned myself to using the slow Technicolour supplied by PN (noticeably slower responses).  Maybe I'll save some pennies and get a Acher C7 or such like.
Muttley62
Grafter

I have stopped using the Plusnet router due to its poor wireless performance and have invested in an Asus RT-N66U.  I set it up yesterday as per this thread but it just would not work, however turning off the Youview box with the power switch on the back of the box seems to have done the trick and all is now working correctly.  Just thought that I would pass on the advice in case anyone else is struggling.
iainr

Just to note that, probably unsurprisingly, my fairly ancient Dlink dir-655 wouldn't work irrespective of what firewalling/forwarding options were tried (including putting the youview box on the DMZ which in theory put it outside the firewall completely).

As there's rather a lot of config invested in the DLINK I tweaked the plusnet supplied router to use 192.168.0/24 and hung the dlink off one port and the youview box off another and after setting up some port forwarding on the plusnet routter it all seems to work.  I'm probably in the market for a new router this summer anyway (I'd like something ipv6 capable and ideally supported by OpenWrt/dd-wrt ), any suggestions gratefully received.
kebob

I gave up on getting my TP-Link Router (with DDWRT on) working with the multicast, so I bought an Asus-N66u and I used the settings from earlier in the thread and bing, works perfectly.
And bonus, the range on this router is miles better than what I had on my WR1043ND, YAY.
slarty

Just for info and in case anyone else is searching.
The one thing that has really bugged me about the Youview box is the requirement to use the PlusNet supplied router - which is OK but slow and restricted  - or to buy one of the few specific routers known to work.
After much trial and error, I finally managed to get my Netgear WNDR3800 (WNDR3700/ WNDRMAC) to play ball with my trial PlusNet Youview box. 
I installed OPENWRT onto the wndr3800 router  (very easy and reversible - and a good improvement over the stock NETGEAR firmware)
I added the modules IGMPPROXY and KMOD-Bridge which provides igmp_snooping
I followed various threads on this site and others that gave configuration examples for IPTV multicast.  Most failed to work and I am a linux/openwrt novice so I could not explain why.
The configuration that worked for me required setting up a new interface with its own IP address.  This was similar, but not identical to the solution suggested by JIMBOF in an earlier thread.
I can provide the exact config files I used and detailed instructions if anyone else in the trial is interested.
dcrobinson1965

I am using Sophos UTM 9 (formerly Astaro). This is a really serious bit of software, offering a full commercial grade firewall/router. (Note that the license is free for home use, but you'll need something with two NICs to run it on).
It supposedly does IGMP snooping and all that stuff, but despite 30 years in IT at the technical coal face, it is beyond me. There's lots of enigmatic stuff about PIM-SP and Rendezvous Points. Also, various posts seem to suggest it won't work simply because the multicast packets are transmitted outside of the PPPoE tunnel.
Has anyone tried one of these appliances, with any success?
jimbof
Grafter

You definitely need to work out how to get an IGMP proxy onto the router, and how to route the IPTV traffic outside of the PPPoE session.  Unless you can configure those kind of things on your appliance you won't have much luck.
jimbof
Grafter

It looks like these Germans are doing it.  Their configs look very much like my OpenWRT config, though they have done it properly and are using VLAN tags it seems.
https://www.astaro.org/local-language-forums/german-forum/34579-t-online-iptv-entertain-astaro-v8.ht...
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

TP-Link Archer C8 there is an additional step to get multicast working (similar to that for the Billion Bipac)
In WAN Settings, below the PPPOE username and password select "Static IP" as "Secondary Connection" type, then input 169.254.1.23 and 255.255.255.0 as IP address and subnet . Reboot and should be good to go. I assume any number in the 169.x.x.x range will do, that is just the example TP-Link support gave.
I'm guessing this solution will apply to other TP-Link routers, eg C9
nabs
Hooked

Quote from: beeceegee
TP-Link Archer C8 there is an additional step to get multicast working (similar to that for the Billion Bipac)
In WAN Settings, below the PPPOE username and password select "Static IP" as "Secondary Connection" type, then input 169.254.1.23 and 255.255.255.0 as IP address and subnet . Reboot and should be good to go. I assume any number in the 169.x.x.x range will do, that is just the example TP-Link support gave.
I'm guessing this solution will apply to other TP-Link routers, eg C9

@beeceegee you are a legend!
I've spend hours trying to get it working with my TP-Link Archer C2 (AC750), was just about to give up and send the new router back when I found this post, entered the details as you suggest and it's all working perfectly now! Grin
ricke17
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
And for anyone using a ASUS RTN66U
Under the IPTV tab within LAN settings
Select ISP Profile = None
Choose IPTV STB Port = None
Use DHCP routes = Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable
UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0
Within WAN settings
Change setting under WAN > Set 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to No
You may have to do disconnect and reconnect your PPP session if this doesn't work straight away

Am considering buying the Asus AC68U - will these settings work for this router?
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
Tibbie
Grafter

And for anyone using a ASUS RTN66U
It works with firmware 3_0_0_4_378_6117  Cheesy
Under the IPTV tab within LAN settings
Select ISP Profile = None
Choose IPTV STB Port = None
Use DHCP routes = Microsoft
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable
Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable
UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0
Within WAN settings
Change setting under WAN > Set 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to No
You may have to do disconnect and reconnect your PPP session if this doesn't work straight away