Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Configuration for Internet (Multicast) Channels

gc8839
Grafter

Re: Multicast config for alternative routers

Quote from: kianhatchman
Just in case it is of any use to somebody else who has a Draytek Router.

Interesting info.  I have a Draytek 2920.  I enabled IGMP multicast and snooping.  All looked promising initially, as the channels all appeared and seemed to work.  However it became clear that something was amiss as the HD channels would break up, and even when streaming the SD channels my router seemed overloaded to the extent that I couldn't access its admin webpage and no wireless clients could connect!  Stopping the stream would resolve these issues.
I plugged in the plusnet supplied router to check it was my issue and not something upstream.  Everything is rock solid with the plusnet router, so there's obviously a config issue with my router.  Going to enjoy things working for a few days with the plusnet router, then see if I can troubleshoot the draytek when I have a bit more time on my hands.
mattverinder

Hi i'm running a Draytek 2850n 3.6.6
Looks like only the IGMP proxy needs enabling for your correct WAN interface and IGMP snooping to forward to the correct port for that multicast group member.
Cant find any other configuration web or cli which is required. Multicast groups available, i assume they are the correct ones.
All internet channels working and on demand ok.
Having troubling recording at the moment, multicast stream freezes and you view receiver locks up.
Anyone had these problems ?
Applications >> IGMP
IGMP
Enable IGMP Proxy
    IGMP Proxy is to act as a multicast proxy for hosts on the LAN side. Enable IGMP Proxy, if you
    will access any multicast group. But this function take no affect when Bridge Mode is enabled.
Enable IGMP Snooping
    Enable IGMP Snooping, multicast traffic is only forwarded to ports that have members of that group.
    Disable IGMP snooping, multicast traffic is treated in the same manner as broadcast traffic.
Working Multicast Groups
Index Group ID P1 P2 P3 P4
1. 234.81.130.76
2. 224.0.0.251
3. 239.255.255.250
Cheers
Matt
rwaller
Grafter

Quote from: DougMa
Success for the Fritz!Box 7390 as a combined VDSL2 modem/router!  But it was not easy...
Firstly, I found BT's requirements for customer premise equipment to act as a reference for what I needed to configure.  The relevant section is 3.2.4 (WAN VLAN Layer):
[quote=http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/sins/pdf/498v5p1.pdf]Where the CP intends to use Multicast, IGMP reports destined for Openreach Multicast for GEA shall be encoded as IGMPv3 or IGMPv2 over C-VLAN ID 101. Source Specific
Doug

I'm assuming you are DougM in the TB Forum, which is where I found it through Google, tried it yesterday and it wouldn't work (I think I messed up the editing), re-edited it today and can confirm it works, finally get to watch the extra channels - BT couldn't get it to work for me, it was one of the reasons I left BT - crappy help desk based in India, and I didn't want to use their rubbish router - the 7390 is a much better option even though it is not cheap, anyway thanks for your effort, the coding is well beyond my expertise.
adie:green fixed quote
dg06
Grafter

Quote from: Exile
Configuration for the ASUS rt-n56u (Humax connected to router via Solwise 500Mbps homeplugs)
My attempt to enable multicast using Padavan's custom firmware was unsuccessful, so I flashed to the latest official ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.374.4561 and applied the following settings:
In WAN
Enable VPN + DHCP Connection = No
In LAN->Switch Control
Unknown multicast storm control(Mbps) = 40
Multicast storm control(Mbps) = 40
(Needed to support 2 concurrent hi-def streams)
In LAN->IPTV
Select ISP Profile = None
Choose IPTV STB Port = None
Use DHCP routes = Microsoft
Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable
UDP Proxy(Udpxy) = 0
I found that the LAN->IPTV changes could not be set in any of the browsers I tried using firmware 3.0.0.4.374.4561, so I flashed back to 3.0.0.4.374.4422 applied the changes, then flashed back to 3.0.0.4.374.4561.
When viewing IPTV channels all devices on the network using 2.4GHz wireless disconnected (5GHz was unaffected). After experimentation I found the following change fixed this.
Wireless->Professional
Frequency = 2.4GHz
Enable IGMP Snooping = Enable

Thanks for this, I was trying to set mine up and was wondering why it wouldn't save the settings. I too had to go back to an older firmware to enable it to save the settings. There must be a bug in the latest firmware.

What is 'Enable IGMP Snooping'? 
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Add Billion Bipac 7800n to the list; worked first time after prepping according to instructions on the Billion & BT forums:

• enable IGMP snooping

• set up a 2nd EWAN profile with type set to "bridge"

• save and reboot to ensure the new EWAN profile is enabled

Hardware:
BT ONT > Billion Bipac 7800n on EWAN port > TP Link 8 port Gigabit switch > pair of Solwise 200AV homeplugs > Tenda 5 port Gigabit switch > Youview box / Digitalstream pvr / Panasonic Smart TV
Just in time for tomorrow's Everton game  Smiley
I'll report any issues on the relevant problem threads
Exile
Hooked

Quote from: dg06
What is 'Enable IGMP Snooping'? 

From my limited understanding, by default the rt-n56u will send multicast traffic to all of its ports (wired and wireless). I presume enabling snooping instructs the rt-n56u to inspect the packets and not send them over WiFi unless there is a registered recipient connected via WiFi. My Humax is connected over home plugs, so this allows me to keep the WiFi free for other traffic. More importantly, it appears that the rt-n56u could not cope with having to send high multicast data rates over 2.4GHz WiFi; enabling this option means it does not have to.
tris
Grafter

In my haste I chose a poor IP address, I really should have gone with a link-local address (RFC3927: 169.254.1.0 through 169.254.254.255) to guarantee no conflict with a real IP on the Internet or over a VPN.  Since I've limited the network mask to /30 there is no practical risk: and 1.0.0.0/24 is a reserved network (1.0.0.0/8 used to be reserved, but APNIC made it available to help combat the IPv4 shortage: they held back the first /24 because of people like me using it for point-to-point links!)
Doug

Just to say that DougMa's Fritz 7390 *briliant* fix worked for me. Took a bit of careful checking to copy and paste the entries across (don't know if there's and easy way with unified diff files), but worked first time.
The only thing that concerns me is the above note on "choosing a poor IP address" - I have copied verbatim the changes you specified but am unsure if the IP's used are okay for everyone. Should we change anything for our own needs?
Any luck/response after sending your fix/suggestions to AVM?
Many thanks  
DougMa
Grafter

Hi Tris,
Glad I could help.  You won't have any problems using the 1.0.0.1 address; it will never conflict with anything on the real Internet.
I've asked AVM to define a 'BT Wholesale' configuration that includes the multicast configuration to support BT's TV delivery platform.  They do something similar for ISPs in other countries, but you'd only see them in the provider-dropdown if you'd configured the Fritz to that country.  My request, with the sample configuration, has been passed to the product manager for consideration in a future release.
DougM
tris
Grafter

Glad I could help.  ...

You certainly did help and it wasn't that hard to implement. I feel lucky that you posted your solution when you did. I only received my YouView box on Wednesday, wired it up on Thursday, found your solution last night and this morning got it all working. I was dreading having to switch to the supplied Technicolor modem and lose all the Fritz!Box configuration and facilities.
Thanks again.
markeagles1973
Grafter

Hi
Does anyone have a guide and setting on how to setup multicast on a WDR3600 TP-Link running openWrt?
Been at this for hours now with no luck  Embarrassed
Regards
Mark
kebob

Worked perfectly with the Plus Net supplied router, but I had a few goes over the weekend to get it working on my TP-Link WR1043ND running DD-WRT, but didn't manage it thus far.
Seems the DDWRT documentation is a little lacking or outdated and multicast/igmp is all new to me. I might have a go with OpenWRT instead.
markeagles1973
Grafter

im trying with openwrt but no joy yet.

• http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/udp_multicast

dmpitts
Dabbler

I am trying to use a Billion 7800dxl with the setup suggested here http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2178&p=6859&hilit=bt+sport#p6859 but I am getting the error code IPC6023.
Has anyone managed to get a 7800dxl to work ?
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: markeagles1973
im trying with openwrt but no joy yet.

I am running openwrt successfully on and x86 PC motherboard with triple gigabit LAN ports, but the information in my post further up this thread should work (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124042.msg1093765.html#msg1093765).  I use mcproxy instead of igmproxy, and you will need to add a new interface to the ethernet port which currently has your wan interface (I called mine ewan).  Then you can set up firewall rules to only let muticast traffic travel on that interface.
Show us your /etc/config/network file and I might be able to help you out (edit out your plusnet username / password info!)
Might be best to open another thread to stop this one getting too busy.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dmpitts
I am trying to use a Billion 7800dxl with the setup suggested here http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2178&p=6859&hilit=bt+sport#p6859 but I am getting the error code IPC6023.
Has anyone managed to get a 7800dxl to work ?

I've got a Billion 7800X working fine - Setup is similar to the 7800N.  Add a bridge interface and enable IGMP Proxy and Snooping.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123788.0.html
I'll try and get some screenshots later