cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings stop too soon so I'm missing the end of program/game

mikewhitehead50
Dabbler

Recordings stop too soon so I'm missing the end of program/game

I've been recording sport such as NBA games and World Rallycross. Because these are often live, they can run a few minutes longer than was originally planned. The Youview box doesn't account for this though and just stops the recording at the originally planned time rather than recording the program that's still showing. Is there a way to fix this?
17 REPLIES
minkey
Grafter

Re: Recordings stop too soon so I'm missing the end of program/game

I don't think the Youview box is that clever. The best advice would be to record the following programme as well and delete it if it doesn't overrun.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

All the freeview+ boxes work on the same idea. The guide is king. If the guide says it finishes at 4:59 then it does. Doesn't matter that it is overrunning to 5:19. The theory is that the broadcaster will UPDATE the listing but this doesn't happen.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Unfortunately as suggested, the start/stop signals for the recordings come directly from the broadcaster.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
ricke17
Grafter

Until Youview release a software update that will allow us to add a manual buffer, this issue will continue.
I notice the same problems with ITV2+1
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
ad47uk
Grafter

I really thought You View would have sorted that out by now, my old PVR have got padding,and that is over 6 years old, so why on earth don't You view have this?
My old PVR is at the end of it's days and I have been thinking about replacing it. I have look at You View and also looking at Freeview play. Freeview play is what You View should have been.
My problem is that to get a new Freeview play box is going to cost £200.
I can get a You View box from Plusnet cheaper, but since I am just over 8 months into my Plusnet contract, I really am not sure if I want to extend it.
ricke17
Grafter

I'm not even sure if the freeview play has padding either side, I know on my very old Freeview HD box I was able to add padding either side of scheduled recordings. 
However recording the next programme, in case the original gets cut off, isn't really a resolution.  I know it is down to the Youview Software which is out of plusnet's hands.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

As I said it is common to ALL FREEVIEW+ boxes (which the youview are really with iptv added). ANY FV+ will have the same issue.
Freeview boxes used to have nice things like 14day guides (not Cool an optional recording buffer (+/- start/end) all gone with FV+.
ad47uk
Grafter

Quote from: ricke17
I'm not even sure if the freeview play has padding either side, I know on my very old Freeview HD box I was able to add padding either side of scheduled recordings. 
However recording the next programme, in case the original gets cut off, isn't really a resolution.  I know it is down to the Youview Software which is out of plusnet's hands.

Freeview play do have padding, I seen a video on You Tube showing the Humax box, it looks really nice to be honest. YouView software may be out of Plusnets hands, but not BT, since BT backs it, so they have a say in it.
Still difficult to know what to do to be honest.
Part of me says to dump the TV licence again, I did nto have one for 3 years and only got one when I was ill and off work.
Part of me says to get a Freeview play box  to replace my old digital stream and part of me think about getting a You View box either outright or from Plusnet.,
ricke17
Grafter

Fair enough, but before you buy a freeview play box, check out this thread here: https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/freeview-play-from-humax-compared-with-youview
Rick.
Community Veteran

I'm pretty sure that Sky+ boxes let you configure x number of minutes to be added to the end of recordings to allow for overrunning recordings. Seems like a pretty sensible option to me and surely simple to implement.
ad47uk
Grafter

Quote from: ricke17
Fair enough, but before you buy a freeview play box, check out this thread here: https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/freeview-play-from-humax-compared-with-youview
Rick.

I doubt there will ever be a perfect PVR, someone will not like something or there will be something missing that someone would like.  I really would have thought that this idea of having different guides on different devices would have been put to bed by now. If devices are labelled Freeview play, then the UI should look and act the same on all devices with that label on, the same as You view and Freetime on Freesat.
My old digitalstream have a pretty good UI on to be honest and as a UI is pretty well there, easy to navigate, a pretty good guide, got a couple of niggles, but very few and got padding. The only thing that is missing which is not a great loss is the lack of catch up up players, as it have none. It have got internet connection, but very little work with it, some of the IPTV channels work, but very few.  I have a Ps3 which I use for catch up TV.
If there was padding on You View, I would be more interested, even on my old DVD recorder it had padding and that is years old, in the analogue days.
ricke17
Grafter

I spoke to someone from Humax this morning - and he confirmed that you can add padding to the Freeview Play box but you cannot series link it.  It also does not support IPTV channels that we subscribe to via the pn YV box.
I was scouring the internet for a instruction manual, but couldn't find one - the Humax guy kindly emailed me one and although I cannot attach it as it is too big, I have uploaded it to my dropbox and you can access it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/whz2o7g739vqj67/FVP-4000T-UserGuide%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0
Rick.
ad47uk
Grafter

Can not series link? That is a bit strange. Cheers for the manual, I am going to look through that now.
dick:quote
ricke17
Grafter

I was told that if you use the padding option you'll not be able to series link the show. It's somewhere in that instruction book
Lemme know how you get on.
Rick.