Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordings ending before the end of a program

DaveCW
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Recordings ending before the end of a program

Having an issue with Recording TV Programs!

On several occasions over the past few weeks recordings from Free to air and IPTV subscription channels are ending before the program has finished. This is most annoying mainly because I am missing the conclusion of programs and don't know how it ends, but also because i am getting ear ache from the Mrs over this.. It does not seem to matter if it is Free to air, IPTV , manually recorded at the time of the program or set to record in advance. It is not every program but it is happening more & more. There are no error messages.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this? I cant find any settings to extend recording time after the end of the program.

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
All Star
Fixes: 20

Re: Recordings ending before the end of a program

My Panasonic & Humax PVR's automatically add extra minutes at start & end of recordings-
and the scheduled recordings, can be manually adjusted too.
DaveCW
Rising Star

This is the Plusnet Youview Box, Humax I presume, I can see nothing in the settings but the issue probably isn't a settings thing anyway, as it is ending the recording before the program has ended a good minute or more!.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

Is it happening on mainstream channels? I get it occasionally on "minor" channels. I think it is because the channel sends a program end signal too early.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_Delivery_Control

DaveCW
Rising Star

no rhyme or reason to it, my Mrs says it has happened a lot on Realy, I got it today on W. There was 1 on BBC1 over Xmas as well

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

I got it over the holiday on Alibi (watching recordings of Traces),  W is also a streamed channel. I don't know how the delivery control works on Multicast channels. However Really and BBC1 are Freeview channels so PDC could be the problem.

The only suggestion I have is to keep track of the events, and post the programmes on which it happened. If someone else happened to record the same programme, it might let you decide if it was your box or the channel providing incorrect data.

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Over the years I have concluded that most channels do not use PDC and the recorder then uses the "scheduled" times. As scheduled and broadcast times rarely seem to line up, recordings do not start/stop as "expected".

Padding can be the answer, but that falls foul of program overlap restrictions.

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.