cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Golfingman
Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: 12-11-2015

Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Hi
I have cancelled Sky and am about to order Plusnet Youview TV. I have their fibre broadband and my question is should I take their Powerline Adaptors or get the Solwise AV2 1200mbps home plug at double the cost. Cost is not the issue I am more concerned about it all working properly. If anybody has any experience with either adaptors I would be very grateful to hear from you. One related point is it better to get the package from Plusnet in the event of a problem?
Regards
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 12,718
Thanks: 102
Fixes: 31
Registered: 27-04-2007

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

You're probably looking for an unbiased opinion but I'll give you mind anyway Smiley I've been using our PLAs for over a year now and I've not experienced a single issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jack21
Grafter
Posts: 180
Registered: 25-02-2009

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

I've been using the Plusnet-supplied BT powerline adapters since Jun 2015 and find they work exceptionally well for both TV and computer purposes. I've had no problems whatsoever with them, and have no hesitation in recommending their use.
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 339
Fixes: 12
Registered: 24-10-2013

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
You're probably looking for an unbiased opinion but I'll give you mind anyway Smiley I've been using our PLAs for over a year now and I've not experienced a single issue.

is that you saying that you are not unbiased?
Community Veteran
Posts: 2,548
Thanks: 165
Fixes: 2
Registered: 27-05-2011

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

PLAs is defiantly not an exact science and more to do with your house wiring than anything else. I have Solwise 500av units working happily with TP Link 200av units. Suck it and see is my advice. If you were really interested in speed and technical performance then Ethernet is the way to go, if you want neatness of installation then PLAs have a place. I have PLAs mainly to satisfy SWMBO.  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Razorback
Grafter
Posts: 208
Registered: 08-08-2014

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I have PLAs mainly to satisfy SWMBO.  Cheesy

I would imagine that is the reason most PLA users including myself have them.  Grin
Golfingman
Newbie
Posts: 3
Registered: 12-11-2015

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Thank you all very much for your comments.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
popeyeuk
Grafter
Posts: 85
Thanks: 1
Registered: 07-09-2010

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Quote from: Golfingman
Hi
I have cancelled Sky and am about to order Plusnet Youview TV. I have their fibre broadband and my question is should I take their Powerline Adaptors or get the Solwise AV2 1200mbps home plug at double the cost. Cost is not the issue I am more concerned about it all working properly. If anybody has any experience with either adaptors I would be very grateful to hear from you. One related point is it better to get the package from Plusnet in the event of a problem?
Regards

These work like a dream mate http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4016P-KIT.html
cajef
Grafter
Posts: 208
Registered: 20-07-2007

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

I got a pair of these from Amazon, though at the time it was one of their daily deals and I only paid £49.99 with free delivery, I wanted three Ethernet output ports for TV, Sky and youview boxes at far end of property from the router, no complaints they do what they say in the advert without any speed drops, very impressed with them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA8030P-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration/dp/B00X59GJGC/ref=sr_...
jafreer
Rising Star
Posts: 823
Thanks: 43
Registered: 13-10-2012

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

All good comments, the only thing I would say is that I used power line adapters and they impacted my broadband signal. It took me ages to get to the root of the problem but it seemed the frequencies the PLAs used somehow injected interference onto the VDSL2 signal, which caused high levels of interleaving on the line and slowed everything down.
Having said all that, lots of people use them with no problems (although it isn't always obvious if they are causing problems). So I think the brand of adapter may have something to do with it.
What I ended up doing was removing them and replacing them with this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Universal-Extender-Set-top/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF...
It sits behind the TV, and connects into the 4 port hub I already had back there, connecting all the entertainment equipment to the internet. It is using wireless so there is a strong possibility it won't be as fast as PLAs, but it is another solution worth looking at if you have problems with power line adapters.
RJay
Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: 12-01-2016

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

I have used TP Link poweline adapters (PA4010) and they have worked perfectly for all the catch up services. However, they struggled to work properly with the multicast Plusnet TV channels (BT Sport, Eurosport etc). The picture would break up every few minutes and I got warning messages that there was a problem. I have now put in an ethernet cable and all is working well,
poppy123
Dabbler
Posts: 24
Thanks: 3
Registered: 03-01-2016

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

I use TP-LINK TL-WPA4220T KIT AV500. Reason I got thse is that they also good for improving wireless and have two ethernet ports. So I connect a pc and youview and for wireless i can use xbox one, blu-ray player and anything else that can use wireless. The plugs are right next to hardware
racey
Dabbler
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Registered: 20-12-2015

Re: Power line adaptors - Plusnet or other option?

Quote from: Hobo
I got a pair of these from Amazon, though at the time it was one of their daily deals and I only paid £49.99 with free delivery, I wanted three Ethernet output ports for TV, Sky and youview boxes at far end of property from the router, no complaints they do what they say in the advert without any speed drops, very impressed with them.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA8030P-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration/dp/B00X59GJGC/ref=sr_...

I got the same deal from Amazon (TP-LINK TL-PA8030P kit) and they work well - easy setup too.