cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible solution to some poor Youview+ signal quality problems

BlackPearl

Possible solution to some poor Youview+ signal quality problems

For those suffering signal quality issues with the Plusnet Youview+ TV box it may be the quality
of the aerial input socket and it's failure to make good connection with a number of standard TV aerial fly lead plugs.
I have discovered that using some form of barrel connection to the socket makes for a more stable connection
and provides better signal quality. This I think is because it has a slightly longer centre pin and can be pushed a
little further into the socket than a standard coax plug.
In my case I used some TV aerial plug to F-socket barrel adaptors and a short length of
satellite (75 ohm) cable fitted with F-plugs to connect the Youview+ box to the aerial outlet on the wall.
Testing the original TV fly lead cables (a few of them) using one of the weaker channels (in my case Spike on channel 31)
showed a signal strength of 62% but a fluctuating signal quality anywhere between 30% and 100% (often settling at 30% when left) . The slightest movement of the fly lead connection would result in wild swings of signal quality and either a blocky picture or no picture at all. All these leads worked 100% when connected direct to the smart TV aerial input with one of the leads classed as superior and costing £7

However using the adaptors and F-Plug arrangement showed no such variations in the signal
quality even with movements of the lead at the aerial input socket.
My conclusion is that the Youview+ aerial input socket is of an inferior design (the centre pin plugs into a split socket that can widen over time reducing effective connection) and may be the cause of a number of signal strength/quality issues.
I hope this helps other Plusnet TV users that may be suffering similar issues as I got very little help
from Plusnet customer support when contacted, other than a strange suggestion to add attenuation to the
input signal as it may be too strong ! However as can be seen from the above description it may be more a case
that such barrel attenuators actually just make better connection with the very poor quality aerial input socket on the box.

2 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Possible solution to some poor Youview+ signal quality problems

Thanks @BlackPearl  This appears to be a very practical and pragmatic solution to an annoying problem.

For those Users challenged by the technology, could you add some part references from someone like Maplins to make it easy to replicate your set up?  A simple diagram or even a picture would also enhance your text.

Maurice 

BlackPearl

Re: Possible solution to some poor Youview+ signal quality problems

Hi @MauriceC happy to try and add some further detail to this.

The barrel adaptors I acquired (a while ago) were from a well known auction site but Maplin have similar product with code QP42V (not sure from image if this has as long a coax plug end as mine). Two of these joined with a satellite fly lead with F-plug ends such as Maplin code BM89W will provide the connection from Youview+ box to a wall TV aerial outlet.

I made my own F-plug fly lead from screw on plugs and some satellite cable I had spare which allows me to know the connectors are well fitted and the length is what I needed but pre made cable should be fine, again available in multiple lengths from an auction site.

You should end up with

Youview+ box <-> coax plug to F-plug adaptor <-> F-plug to F-plug fly lead <-> F-plug to coax plug adaptor <-> Tv aerial wall socket

I am not great with inserting items (such as pictures etc) into forum posts so hope the above makes sense, happy to answer any questions or try and provide further details if anyone needs them.

As I say it may not be the answer for everyone but for a small cost (around £10 or less) I guess it may be worth a try.