cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible new customer

denwyn
Grafter

Possible new customer

Been a Plusnet user for many years now, have had fibre for 3 + years. Considering going for Plusnet TV, with You view box and Sports package. Present setup is BT Open reach Modem and Plusnet Technicolour router. Trouble with this is the WiFi is not to good, tried boosters but very little improvement. Should I decided to go with a TV package what do you think my chances are at getting  a new Plusnet one router box, and do away with present two box set up. My daughter has just had Plusnet fibre with the Plusnet one and tells me the WiFi signal is excellent. I've seen them for sale on eBay, but not to sure about being able to set one up. Any advice appreciated.  Thanks

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Possible new customer

Your confusing me and probably yourself, you don't need wi-fi for the Youview box, you need a Ethernet connection and PN offer Home plugs for positions with wiring difficulties. PN supplied me with a 2704 router to go with an Openreach modem for my Youview!Smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
denwyn
Grafter

Probably didn't word this to well, I do know TV device does not use WiFi, I have a Ethernet socket by the TV. Main reason I would like a Plusnet one router, is to improve my WiFi connection for general use in house, it's pretty poor with old Technicolour router. Just wondered what the chance was of Plusnet supplying one if I signed up for the TV package.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

jafreer
Rising Star

I think if you take the TV package and recontract your fibre package in the process, then they should send you a new router.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

If you ask for one during the call to add TV and recontract, we should be able to arrange this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

We have PN fibre & today we've signed up for YouView + with the HD channel pack & we've just had a text from PN to say that a router is in the post so it seems you will get a new router.

We only use WiFi occasionally as our house has ethernet points in every room so we assume the new router is needed as it's configured for YouView.

P.S. On checking it seems that OR are ceasing to support their VDSL modem so the new PN router has VDSL built in so presumably this is why we're getting a new router with our new contract..

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The new router is all in one and supports the multicast that some of the channels are sent over.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Rising Star

Just also worth a mention, whilst the new router does support multicast (for the Plusnet Internet TV channels), it does not support it over wi-fi. So if you were thinking of using some kind of wi-fi adapter at the Youview end (to convert wi-fi to an ethernet cable connection), the Plusnet Hub will not support that because it will not send multicast over wifi. Some routers do support multicast over wi-fi.

All this is only applicable if you plan to use something to convert wi-fi to an ethernet connection for the Youview box (for example, the TP-Link WR702).

denwyn
Grafter

I had the offer of a free Plusnet One router, as long as I took out a new contract, oh and paid £6 postage, which I thought was a Joke, doesn't inspire me to stay with them at all, oh and to just buy a new router was £100. In the meantime i acquired a Plusnet one router from Ebay for £20 inc. postage. It arrived this morning, as new condition in original box with all bits and pieces with it. It was up and running in about 10 mins, the Wi-Fi signal is much stronger, bit disappointed i cannot change the DNS, but it seems to all be working OK. For what it has cost me i am more than pleased, its much neater looking than the older two box system i had before. I still have a mind to change ISP when my current contract ends in 5 months, will take more time checking what routers they supply next time, also will never enter a two year contract again, a year is enough. Thanks for all the help.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

denwyn wrote:

i acquired a Plusnet one router from Ebay for £20 inc. postage.

While that could work fine, would you mind PMing me the serial number from the router so I can assure it's not still registered on someone else's account as this could cause it to try and authenticate using the details of the person who sold it to you/initially got rid of it.

I've also seen people selling Plusnet Hub One's on ebay when they actually a Hub Zero or Technicolor TG582n. I'm assuming you have got a Hub One if it's working on fibre without the modem, but it's something to watch out for when buying routers on ebay.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
denwyn
Grafter

It's definitely a Plusnet one, not sure why you want serial number, also a bit unsure on giving details etc.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Each Plusnet router is registered against the account for which it was originally supplied. When you factory reset it it connects to the PN servers and from the serial number it gets the account username/password and automatically configures the router. So if yours is still registered to an account then if you reset it, it will attempt to connect to the original plsunet account. Normally people should request that a router is removed from their account before selling it/giving it away, I've just done that with one. All Harry is offering is to check that yours has been deregistered so that you don't get problems if you factory reset it. Sending the serial no by PM is safe , no-one else will see it.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

denwyn wrote:

not sure why you want serial number, also a bit unsure on giving details etc.

Essentially what MisterW has said.

denwyn wrote:

It's definitely a Plusnet one

I appreciate that. However I've seen customers in the past purchase a Plusnet hub one from ebay, but actually received a Plusnet hub zero or other older Plusnet router model.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
denwyn
Grafter

Q

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM @denwyn

As per my response via PM, I've searched the serial number and it isn't bringing up any account where it is active, so if you ever need to factory reset the router it should cause any problems by connecting on another users authentication details.

I have also recorded the details on your account, so if you do have to factory reset the router, it should auto-setup on your details.

I hope this helps.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team