Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet youview+ box questions

FIXED
Highlighted
poinsy

Plusnet youview+ box questions

Sorry for replying to this thread so late. Hopefully someone can clarify a few areas. I have PlusNet broadband. I am sick of paying Sky for my TV viewing. If I purchase the BT YouView box, currently retailing at £125, will I be able to watch YouView channels as expected? From what I have read, the answer is yes.

If I then wish to take advantage of PlusNet TV, say, BT SPort, Entertainment Plus & HD channels for £11, would I need to activate this with PlusNet and get the basic YouView box for £6.99 (which I essentially ditch), and also £5 per month for the basic package?

If this is correct, what does this activation actually involve? Are all the additional channels arriving via the internet? If so, does some stuff go through PlusNet's servers and some through the standard YouView's servers?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title after split to reflect issue.

6 REPLIES
Fixes: 225

Re: Plusnet youview+ box questions

Moderator's note:

Split to its own thread from here for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

poinsy

I have done tonnes more research through this forum. It looks like the answers to my questions are positive, and I can do what I want.

Thanks to the following for their various posts:

jafreer

stereohaven

With the BT box currently available at £125, and people confirming it is the same box as the one PlusNet supply, it then comes down to maths. If you want any extra channels, it makes sense to just get the box from PlusNet as it is currently £57.99.

For anyone else currently in a similar situation, I did the following comparison:

Options

-------

1)      BT YouView box                        - £125.00

==========

£125.00                             £6.94 per month.

2)      BT YouView box + PNTV         - £125.00

£6.99

£5.00 * 18

==========

£221.99                             £12.33 per month.

3)      PN Box + PNTV                         - £0.00

£57.99

£5.00 * 18

==========

£147.99                             £8.22 per month.

I guess my only concern is 4K, but I could get that through my Nvidia Shield, but without the recording ability. But, from what I see, there isn't that much available anyway.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

You can get a 2nd hand one for a lot less, I got mine for £5 locally.
Once you have the sub, all the channels are the same independant of the box. There are NO 4K channels and if you want HD (internet channels) then add another £3/mo to the total.
poinsy

£5, wow, thanks. I guess that then becomes £11.99 with the required minimum 'zapper' box. Still, very good. Although, the PN price of £57.99 for a new box does seem pretty good.

I was considering adding Entertainment Plus and HD for and extra £6. Possibly BT Sport for another £5. I assume these extras are not tied into the 18 month contract? Also, are there any pictures of these boxes?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Fix
This is the recording box https://goo.gl/images/JA9gYW
Ignore the bt logo same box.
No idea of the no recording box though.

Yes the YV channels are monthly subs, you can (usually) change them as needed.
poinsy

Great, that is exactly what I wanted confirmation for. Seems like a no-brainer then. Thanks.