Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet supplied powerline adapters

FIXED
Snooze

Plusnet supplied powerline adapters

Hi all,

Got my broadband all connected yesterday Smiley Now just to sort the TV.

I seem to recall that Plusnet used to have a page offering powerline adapters when you take out their TV. This seems to have disappeared as they now ask you to phone up. Does anyone know if a.) they are still selling them and b) what the specs are? Trying to decide if I should just order some on Amazon. This page would suggest they are BT branded but not sure if that's still current.

And yes, I know an ethernet cable would be preferred but ain't gonna happen. 

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 215

Re: Plusnet supplied powerline adapters

@Snooze  Welcome to the forum.

There’s nothing special about BT/Plusnet powerline units. You can use any so it’s worth shipping around.

I hear you re Ethernet cable. Many manage with powerline, I had nothing but trouble with buffering due to my wiring. You may find this of interest. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Snooze

Ah yes, I realise there's nothing special about them but just trying to work out if they are good value or not.

Thanks for the info Baldrick, will take a closer look at our wiring!
swrzzzz
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I bought some decent quality ones off amazon and I have found they do not work well if the plugs are not connected to the same ring main.

Since my house electrics were modernised the ring main where the router is is not the same ring main as where the tv is sited and the consumer unit in between seems to affect the signal quality.

Give them a go but beware. I suspect the Plusnet ones would have the same issue.

Steve

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 174

Fix
The Plusnet-provided ones are BT Flex 600's.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

swrzzzz
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Would they work through a consumer unit better then the TP-Link ones I bought? or are they stil limited by that?

Steve

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 174

Suspect they'd be subject to the same issues, potentially not to the same degree though depending on the speed rating of the TP-Link plugs.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've had those problems.
Powerline adapters need to be on the same ring main. If upstairs and downstairs are seperate rings they are not happy. If where you're plugging it into is on a spur (often used to add a new socket in an extention) they dont work well.
Great for moving the youview/STB network connection from one side of the living room to the other when SWMBO wont have extra cables on view. 🙂
Poweline adapters dont work on extention leads.
DaveCW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I Use TP link Powerline adaptors, they work just fine and were reasonably priced from the High Street.