cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV using broadband capacity

jafreer
Rising Star

Plusnet TV using broadband capacity

I had a question which may have an obvious answer, but I assume if I was watching one of the premium channels (one that streams over the internet), then I am using some of my bandwidth (I am on the 40 Mbps product but don't currently have Plusnet TV).
If so, then how much bandwidth is the channel using?
Secondly, I suffer frequently from peak time slowdowns that often prevents decent netflix streaming. Will the Plusnet TV channels suffer from this peak time slowdown? Also, I assume that if I currently have problems streaming netflix at peak times, I would be shooting myself in the foot by having Plusnet TV trying to bring in a channel at the same time?
Surely that would only make things even worse?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet TV using broadband capacity

What (sync) speed do you currently get?
IPTV (multicast) doesn't suffer from congestion generally because it's 'broadcast' locally, it should also be prioritised above (most) other services.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jafreer
Rising Star

My actual sync speed is 45 Mbps but I am on the 40 Mbps product so it is limited to that.
So multicast might protect the channel stream from the peak time slowdowns, but the (premium) channel being watched would still use up some of my available bandwidth?
Thanks.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

IPTV can make use of the 'spare' bandwidth between the product downstream cap (40Mb/s) and your sync speed, this is an unintentional 'bonus' of the 40/20 Plusnet product.
I can still get 38/18 on a speedtest while watching multicast channels.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jafreer
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies - very interesting, so a little of that currently out of reach bandwidth would get utilised. Now I just need to try and find an offer of Plusnet TV for £1 per month Wink