Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV using FREESAT instead of FREEVIEW

DaveCW
Dabbler

Plusnet TV using FREESAT instead of FREEVIEW

Chaps,

I moved to Plusnet TV from Sky, apart from the issues i had 2 or 3 weeks back I have been quite happy with what I am getting. but here's the rub. I live in a part of the UK where the old Analogue Terrestrial signal was poor, hence why I took up Sky very early on. Digital Terrestrial TV is way better but often prone to issues during some weather conditions which the Satellite signals don't appear to be affected by apart from Heavy snow when it builds up on the dish arm. Since leaving Sky i still have the Dish and cabling in place.

Do YouView at any time plan to introduce a Youview Box that uses FreeSat rather Than Freeview. If you are trying to attract customers away from Sky perhaps this would be a good thing to offer, remember many have sky because the Signal to the Arial is poor.

7 REPLIES
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet TV using FREESAT instead of FREEVIEW

YouView don't have any plans to produce a Freesat box.

We have a Zgemma satellite receiver that receives & records Freesat & a YouView box that we use mainly for the Plusnet IPTV subscription programmes.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 15

Hi @DaveCW

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear that you struggle with your TV reception.

Unfortunately as @caravanj has mentioned this is not something that we are aware of changing any time soon.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Warwick
 Plusnet Help Team
DaveCW
Dabbler

I appreciate there are no plans for a Sat version of the Youview box, but perhaps there should be. There are many people still out there in the UK who live in TV reception Blackspots and the ONLY choice is SKY. It may be something BT/Plusnet/Talk Talk might want to consider, there are thousands+ of customers out there who's ONLY choice is sky and this is a potential customer base worth tapping in to.

Even though i get a perfectly adequate TV signal for my Youview box, i too have a Freesat recorder as well, It gives me even more TV recording options.

robbieglover2k
Hooked

I don't know if this is possible but are the Freeview channels not able to be sent to the box through the internet the same way the subscription channels do?

Reason I say this is because the subscription channels are perfect, even in HD with live events they're absolutely spot on where as I also have an issue with a fairly weak Freeview reception (our own fault really because my room is connected to the aerial in the loft as opposed to the one outside but it's costly to get someone to fix this) however if the Freeview channels were able to get to the box the same way the subscription channels do, then this would be perfect and we'd not have a problem with any missing channels.

Just a thought Smiley

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 15

Hi @robbieglover2k and @DaveCW

Thanks for getting back in touch and I will be glad to pass on your feedback regarding the Youview product delivery.

Please feel free to get in touch with any other questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Warwick
 Plusnet Help Team
robbieglover2k
Hooked

Thank you @Warwick, they also need to add the BT Sport Box Office channel to the channel list too (there's a separate thread on this here I did as I was asked to do this which explains it all and why it's important), however thanks for kindly adding the suggestion about the channel delivery as this could really help Smiley

The BT Sport Box Office thread is here by the way as we need to keep the discussion in the same thread they mentioned: https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/BT-Sport-Box-Office-access-via-Plusnet-TV-I-was-asked-to-make-a/td-...

Thanks again anyway, you guys do a fantastic job at Plusnet and I am sincerely grateful for all that you do!! Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@DaveCW wrote:

There are many people still out there in the UK who live in TV reception Blackspots and the ONLY choice is SKY. 

That's not the case - you've asked about Freesat and if you can get Sky you can get Freesat using your existing dish. All you need to buy is a receiver and there's no ongoing costs.

Humax have some decent deals on factory refurbished boxes: e.g. https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/freesat-recorder-hdr-1100s-1tb-black-refurbished.html. We have one of those and have had no issues. The app to control it from your smartphone is pretty good too.

Full Freesat channel list

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)