cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV through *non* Plusnet supplied Youview box?

IceColdRum
Dabbler

Plusnet TV through *non* Plusnet supplied Youview box?

So I already have a Youview box (one of the old TalkTalk ones) which works perfectly well and I don't particularly like the idea of a £58 upfront fee for the Plusnet Youview+ box so I wondered if I could just signup for the standard box and use it on a bedroom TV whilst keeping my current box in the living room?

Ta x

9 REPLIES
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet TV through *non* Plusnet supplied Youview box?

Hi

I dont think there is a plusnet route to do this, i.e. a way of ordering without having a box sent.

Not sure if plusnet track barcodes of the boxes to connect to the network to authenticate you too, as you dont put a username/password in, you could *try* getting their cheap no record box and then using your existing box to get all the features.

Hopefully someone from PN can confirm either way though!

jossy

I signed up yesterday and have just managed to access all the channels using my exisitng Humax Youview box before the plusnet shipped box has arrived.

My plan is to use the Plusnet box in another room as well.  I'm hoping that it will still work when I have both boxes up and running.

Hope that helps.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Hi @jossy

Yeah the second Youview box will work in another room but it would only be able to be used for freeview capabilities.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
jossy

So the Plusnet Youview+ box has now arrived and i've set that up and got it working.  When i went back to my old Humax and tried to watch one of the internet channels it said that only one device can be connected to Plusnet TV.  It did give me the option of disconnecting the other in favour of this one.

Does that mean I can switch the service between the two devices, just not have it activated on both at the same time?   Or, is their a limit to the number of times it will switch between devices?  I'm nervous about switching again in case it locks to one device.

i want to watch sport on the pvr connected to a projector and eveything else on the one connected to my normal TV.  

alandeb

Hi Ben,

Related question - Following the Sky/Discovery fisticuffs, we're investigating a move from Sky to Plusnet TV. Our problem is we have no digital terrestrial signal at all, but we do have existing twin satellite feed and superfast broadband.

So we understand that a PlusNet Youview box alone would not give us the live channels that normally come via terrestrial.

We've looked at the Humax HDR-1100S as a Freesat box, but it would be annoying to have to watch some subscription channels via a PlusNet Youview box and some channels via a separate Humax box

Do you think it would be possible to watch the subscription PlusNet TV channels via a single Humax box? Not sure how the Humax box would know that the PlusNet channels were available

Any advice will be gratefully received

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

There is no box that does freesat and youview as youview is connected to freeview

If you have no aerial reception and want to get rid of sky your better option is nowtv from skythemselves in addition to your skybox as freesat.

If you do cancel sky you will get an offer just before or after your departure date with a good discount...

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Hi @alandeb

I'm sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive a notification that you contacted on this thread. Welcome to the community forums.

I have checked your account and I can see that you have order the Plusnet TV service. Is everything running OK for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
alandeb

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. To replace our Sky+HD box we finally went with a combination of PlusNet YouView along with a Humax Freesat box using our existing 2 satellite aerial wires. Despite the terrestrial signal being so poor as to be unwatchable, there's sufficient signal for the YouView box to pick up the timing signals that have caused other people problems with a weak terrestrial signal - it works fine.

So we've had to start finding our way around 2 new EPG's. Also, the YouView remote control and the Freesat remote seem to use the same protocols, so we find both boxes respond simultaneously to each remote. Confusing.

So in summary, technically OK as a solution, not as convenient as Sky+HD, but WAY WAY cheaper than Sky+HD (which was our original motivation for changing).

Regards,

jafreer
Rising Star

It's a shame there isn't an equivalent box to the YV+ box that relies on freesat for the regular channels instead of freeview, and allows the IPTV channels. So in effect, just a freesat version of the YV+ box. That way, people that don't get a great freeview signal can use the dish and still get the Plusnet IPTV channels.

If that solution were available, you wouldn't have to struggle with 2 EPGs.