cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV - Thoughts

jafreer
Rising Star

Plusnet TV - Thoughts

Now that Plusnet TV has been up and running for a little while, I wondered what the verdict is amongst those that have it?
For example, would you recommend it?
Are the menus on the box fast and responsive?
Does the recording and series link work well?
Do the internet channels take several seconds to appear?
Is the remote control any good?
Is it a decent replacement for a Sky+ box?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet TV - Thoughts

I've got PNTV with the YouView+ box and I would recommend it. The functions are on a par with the Sky+ box but different. I've cancelled the Sky account so now have a freesat from Sky service. I notice that when I was watching Wimbledon there were more game options behind the red button on Sky than YouView
I like browsing catch up on the YouView box because it gives "programme you might like" based on what you have just watched , don't remember that on Sky Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
thegame2k0
Grafter

Unlike the Sky+hd box you don't have to wait for programmes to partly down load before watching them on catchup.
It takes a couple of seconds for internet channels but it's no biggie.
The menus are very easy to navigate and series links work fine.
s1m0nh
Dabbler

Quote from: jafreer
Now that Plusnet TV has been up and running for a little while, I wondered what the verdict is amongst those that have it?
For example, would you recommend it?
Are the menus on the box fast and responsive?
Does the recording and series link work well?
Do the internet channels take several seconds to appear?
Is the remote control any good?
Is it a decent replacement for a Sky+ box?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

1. I think it's good value at the price. As long as plusnet waive the fifty quid charge, that is. See point 6 for whether I'd recommend it.
2. Yes, the menus do load quickly. There can be a slight delay for the channel logos to appear if you page up or down quickly. Not enough to be annoying though.
3. I've noticed (as have others) that sometimes the start or end of a recording can be missing. I don't record a lot, so don't know how much of a problem it is.
4. The internet channels do take a couple of seconds to appear for me. This may be due to my router. Not enough to be annoying anyway.
5. I like the remote. If you read reviews for the Humax DTR-T2100, some have pointed out the the placement of the 'back' button is not perfect as it is directly below 'down' on the d-pad. It took me a couple of days to remember and now is also no problem.
6. I'd say the Youview+ box is a decent replacement for a Sky box as long as you know what you are getting (and not getting). Personally, I would have left Sky years ago were it not for my family being horrified at the prospect of losing "essential" channels. In our case these were the kids channels, Animal Planet and TLC. As Plusnet included those, the horror was lessened. One week in, I like it.
jafreer
Rising Star

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.
Any tips on how to get the 50 pounds charge waived? Smiley
s1m0nh
Dabbler

I suppose it depends on whether you are out of contract. I was, and simply asked if they had a deal I'd be interested in. They did, and I was. Good luck.
thegame2k0
Grafter

I still had 12 months remaining of my old contract i simply said "the £50 fee is a put off " they waived the £50 in return for me signing a new 2 year contract which was no problem as very happy with plusnet.
jamesven

The box, remote and all it's functions are excellent, easy to use, and very responsive.
But I've been quite disappointed by the extra 15 channels.
MTV has turned into somekind of junk reality channel which literally has no music on it whatsover, it's just very low grade reality junk programmes all day long.
There are other MTV channels which still do actual music, but this is not a music channel, and I feel a bit misled and disappointed by this.
History channel is much the same, but for different reasons. It has effectively died as a channel, and is now like a mummified version of its former self, stuffed full of very cheap reality shows. It has virtually no history programmes, but just another channel churning out very low grade reality junk. That's not really plusnets fault, it just seems to have died as a quality channel.
Discovery seems to be sliding down a similar path towards cheap reality programming, and is a shadow of it's former high quality self I watched many years ago. Again, not really plusnets fault, maybe more of a sign of the times as once quality channels sink into producing low budget junk while still riding on a brand reputation which is no longer deserved.
These are 3 channels I was really looking forward to, as I watched all 3 years ago when they were quality channels, but they are now sorry shadows of there former selves.
I'm not really sure there's more than about 10% or 20% of programmes on the other 12 channnels that I can't get one place or another, in one for or another, on freeview.
The deal I was offered means I'm not really paying for this for 2 years, so I'm happyish for now, but I don't think at the moment I would pay £5 per month upfront for these 15 extra channels.
As plusnet are locking people into long contracts that effectively gives them time to really get this service up and running, but as these contracts start to expire in 18-24 moths time I think plusnet are going to have to offer more original programming for the £5 to keep people on board.
2 years from now I'm going to want at least 3 more channels for my £5 per month, given that MTV, History and Discovery are mainly just realty junk channels now, and not at all high quality.
But, as I say, plusnet have 18months to 2 years to give a bit more for the money until people's contracts start expiring en masse.
For now I would say get the £50 activation fee waived, get on board, and see if plusnet add more channels for the money during the next 2 years, to make it worth £5 per month after that.

jafreer
Rising Star

Thanks Jamesven - interesting and informative post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

+1 I too am bemoaning the decline in the history channel and discovery channel and that was one reason for ditching Sky. I tend to get content like that from YouTube. But I would say that browsing on the YouView box has found me several interesting documentaries I would have missed otherwise. The YouView box discovery function is very effective and entertaining for that  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Thanks for your feedback guys, very informative thread.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet