cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV FAQ

Pyrii
Grafter

Re: Plusnet TV FAQ

What happened to the Free Youview for existing Fibre customers? Has that expired? Plusnet have done a good job of wiping all information about that offer from their site and facebook.
mbrox

Considering YouView from Plusnet, pulling it all together, I've been reading through these posts and other materials to try to gather a complete picture of what you get with the system. If I put it all together here, perhaps someone can verify if I'm correct or point out the errors.
1) Freeview over the air, with the smart (backwards as well as forwards) guide. The channels you get are those that come over the airwaves. I live in a limited coverage area and won't be able to get by streaming the channels I miss - but see 3)
2) Additional internet streamed channels, which are delivered by the "channel packs". Entertainment pack included, others at extra cost.
3) A range of catch up players which covers the usual suspects (BBC, ITV, C4, 5) plus UK TV (Dave, Really, Yesterday, Drama) and Quest. Through these there can be some catch up access to channels not available over the air in limited Freeview coverage areas (I don't get any of the UK TV or Quest content on Freeview)
4) Additional subscription streaming services - Netflix, NowTV, Sky Store (do we get all these with Plusnet - list got from YouView web site http://www.youview.com/whats-on/ )
I think that's it...
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Spot on.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

If you already own a PVR and have chromecast what additional things are PN offering in this package that cannot be obtained by using the first two items ?
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

@gleneagles
Read the comprehensive list of channels here https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139170.0.html and see which ones you cannot get by your chosen means
poppy123
Dabbler

I sadly cant get youview to work with my tplink archer vr900 router despite it being claimed on amazon rewview it works
"Once you've done this, there is no tinkering or updating settings - it will simply work with Plusnet/BT Youview. I haven't since had any issues with the router and I'd recommend it to anyone with similar requirements!"
It refers to once you have done this emaning firmware 150909 I have  Build 151210 (latest build)  date 10/12/15
Youview connect says so in settings and iplayer works but unable to find any premium channels. I really dont want to scrap a new touter I paid £140+ for 2 months ago for standrad plusnet router really. Thanks
poppy123
Dabbler

just works all of a sudden I only played I have teh default setting prior to getting thgis biox. Has plusnet all of a sudden alloowing my box to connect but all settings are as they were before I got the box
cdsplace

Plusnet require an ‘Estimated Line Speed’ of 15mb before they will supply Youview to their fibre customers (BTTV only suggest 2.2mb for their Youview offering!!)
Unfortunately my estimated speed is only 13mb and having made the switch from Sky, I’m pretty disappointed to find I now can’t get Youview+ and keep up with a few favourite channels ie. CI, ID, Discovery etc because of this over-cautious ruling. I wouldn’t expect to be able to stream HD or record multiple channels while downloading large files. Surely as long as the customer is aware of the suggested speed should it not be for them to decide if they want to take the risk?
Couldn’t there be a bit of flexibility here, it seems it would be a win-win as Plusnet would benefit from more Youview subscriptions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I have one of the Gbit SamKnows Boxes
Does anyone know if it supports multicast or indeed whether it needs to if the router does
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The old Gbit version (I think it's the first Gbit one they did - only 2.4GHz wifi 'sniffing' - don't have the model details to hand though) works fine with PNTV multicast - no idea about current versions.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have the WDR3600 version which works fine. As they are set up in "bridge mode", the data passing through should be unaffected.
Phil
Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
daro2096
Grafter

If I sign up to this does the cost get added on to my plusnet monthly bill?
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

@daro - Spot on. It will sync up.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
marky9074
Dabbler

I have an old talktalk Huawei YouView+ box. I am trying to ditch Sky and have given Now TV (yes I know this too is Sky) a punt for movies only (and this works fine, albeit 720p only I think on that box). I could also get the entertainment pack too (on Now TV), but daughter would miss the Disney channels. Can you subscribe to PlusNet children's channels only (rather than take the £5/month package with no channels that I would watch)?

kendalparker

I'm with @cdsplace here. Currently a BT ADSL customer with BT Essential TV package incl BT Sport (BT Wholesale won't install FTTC; have never been a Sky customer so no dish/box).

Had this for 12 months and having experienced no problems would like to switch to Plusnet and receive same service. It really is infuriating that the Plusnet marketeers have decided not to offer this service option