cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV FAQ

Len2
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet TV FAQ

If I am only interested in the HD channels (which as I understand it come via the broadband link) do I still need a TV aerial?

agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi @Len2.

As I understand it having no TV aerial in a YouView box will bean that you will not receive any of the HD channels that are on the Freeview spectrum, ie BBC1 BBC2 ITV etcetera. You wiould only be able to receive the HD channels and the normal channels sent over broadband. You will also not get any updates to the YouView box because those are sent via the aerial.

Len2
Dabbler

Thanks, @agedgopher.  I do have an aerial but it is so long since it was connected to anything that I don't know if it is still usable - continental drift may have moved it out of alignment.

The current spat between Sky and Discovery prompted me to look at my viewing habits.  Sky is slick and offers a lot of material ... most of which is uninteresting and/or unwatchable to me.  Sky is also expensive so I'm poking around to see what I can get for a more reasonable monthly outlay.  A YouView box is obvious alternative but becomes more expensive if I have to get someone in to fix the aerial (I don't do ladders).

agedgopher
Pro

From past experience, it is rare for aerials to move out of alignment. A terrestrial transmitter is an easier target than a satellite in orbit. Usual aerial problems are failure of the chimney lashing or wall bracket failure, dependent on the type of fixing used, cable failure or the loss of the plastic cap where the cable connects which allows water into the cable. This gives a loss of signal strength. Other factors may come into play. Trees grow and building development can interfere with line of sight if the transmitter. The best test is to plug the aerial into a TV that has Freeview and go into the menu to tune it in. If the TV has been tuned to local transmitter then it should work straight away. Good luck. 

Len2
Dabbler

@agedgopher

Sorry, that was my odd sense of humour.  I'm actually more concerned that the cable has been damaged by weather, squirrels or those jackbooted crows which stomp around on the flat roof.

As for alignment, the aerial which this one replaced used to move in high winds.  I kept a broom in my bedroom so that I could hook it and pull it back into alignment!

Len2
Dabbler

Well, I pointed the TV at the aerial input for the first time in ages and it said ... No Signal

More in hope than anger I went into setup and told it to search for channels.  It found a lot (does 173 sound reasonable?).  So I am now in a position to get the BT TV device once I can wiggle out of my Sky contract.  I've been with Sky for ages and not really considered any alternatives but the Sky/discovery channel spat made me realize how little of the Sky stuff I actually use, and how much I pay for it.

agedgopher
Pro

@Len2

That is brilliant. The original message of no signal would probably have been for analogue TV channels which are no longer broadcast. Your finding 173 channels on Freeview is the normal number for a main transmitter, some of the relay stations only carry a limited number.

Your Plusnet tv channels will boost the number you receive by about 30 I think.

Len2
Dabbler

Thanks @agedgopher - I noticed the TV scanning for ATV channels and finding none.  A=analog, of course <bangs head> ... out of practice with neolithic tech.  Actually, as someone who remembers the 405->625 line switchover I shouldn't make remarks like that.

I calculate that I can take the YouView+ box, the HD channel option and a HD Netflix sub to give me much the same choice as Sky and still save £60 a month.  It won't be quite as convenient but most of what I will be giving up (like multiroom) I don't use anyway.  Funny, it took the threat of denying me my Snooker fix (on Eurosport) to make me realise how much money I was wasting.

The moan-thread on the Sky Community board has now reached about 2000 posts and the lamentations of those about to lose access to Alaskan Bog People is frightening to behold.  To each his own, I suppose.

I should add I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the freeview broadcasts I briefly watched.

Pete_uk
Dabbler

Hi all

I've just moved over to the Unlimited Fiber Extra with line rental, but the line rental doesn't go over until the 14th Febuary. Can I still order and use a YouView recorder box before the 14th Feb?

Thanks

PlusNet username [Removed]

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Good question. We are supposed to wait 10 days from when the fibre connection goes live before ordering YouView from Plusnet. The box should take up to 5 days to arrive, by that time it should be a simple case of plugging it in, setting it up and away you go.

I say supposed, because I was not aware of this (couldn't see it anywhere, and even the sales guy said their website at the time was flaky - I don't think it's changed) and when we signed up to Plusnet, I stipulated it was all or nothing (because other providers 'do' all 3 all the same time). Anyway, we were able to have the phone, fibre and PNYV ordered all at the same time.

Ignoring the issues with the move to PN, the phone and fibre worked (I won't say fine, because it wasn't) and the YV box operated for freeview channels only - there was an issue with the account set up (around 22 December) and the IPTV channels would not work. They then sorted it and they worked, but since today they've all gone again.

So, what I'm trying to say is, you're supposed to wait, but sometimes you don't, it might actually be better to wait until the account and fibre are set up correctly before proceeding to order YV - the only odd thing is, this would mean that you could end up in a scenario were you're out of contract for your phone and fibre, but still tied into a contract for the TV.

I hope this is not too confusing? Huh

Pete_uk
Dabbler

Not at all and thank you for the reply. I should have pointed out that I already have fire from plusnet, its just the phone line that i'm waiting for.

Thanks again

DS
Champion

In that case, you should be good to go Wink

(I would personally call, rather than ordering it online, as the online ordering system can't offer better deals) Roll eyes

Pete_uk
Dabbler

Got the box today, fast work!

However, I have a funny problem! Our existing Humax recorder box uses the same remote commands as the new youview box. That includes the on and off command. As you can imagine we have a lot of recording backing up on our old box so we can't get rid of it for a while. The only solution in the short term is to turn the Youview box off at the rear when we want to use the old box, is this a problem?

Len2
Dabbler

Assuming it is an infra-red remote all you need to do is put a cushion or a sheet of cardboard in front of the YouView box while you use the Humax - easier than pulling plugs.

DS
Champion

Pete_uk wrote: (snipped) Got the box today, fast work!

Hooray!! Smiley

However, I have a funny problem!

Ooooh!! Shocked

Our existing Humax recorder box uses the same remote commands

Boooo!! Crazy2

..turn the Youview box off at the rear when we want to use the old box, is this a problem?

Nah, unless you have set up any recordings? By now, the PNYV box should have updated....