Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV FAQ

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Plusnet TV FAQ

What you'll need

• Plusnet Unlimited Fibre, or Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. Along with this, a DSL check must show minimum estimated line speeds of 15Mb.

• A compatible TV aerial in your home.

• A HDMI cable (this will come with the box), or a SCART cable to connect your box to the TV.

• A HD ready TV - to view the high definition channels.

We are also able to provide powerline adapters at a price of £40 if your router is too far away from your TV.  
The boxes and packages
YouView (with YouView Z4 set top box)

• Price - £5 per month

• Activation Cost - n/a

• Compatible Broadband Products - Unlimited Fibre, Unlimited Fibre Extra, Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

• Included - YouView set top box (Z4), Entertainment package

• Contract - 18 months minimum

• Postage and Packaging - £5.99

• Optional Extras - Kids package - £3 per month
      HD package - £3 per month
      Powerline Adapters - £40

With the Z4, you get the included Entertainment channels as standard, and over 70 Freeview channels. All with 7 day scroll back and ‘on demand’ players such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5. You can also pause and rewind live TV.
YouView+ (with YouView+ G4 set top box)

• Price - £5 per month

• Activation Cost - £50

• Compatible Broadband Products - Unlimited Fibre, Unlimited Fibre Extra, Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

• Included - YouView+ PVR box (G4), Entertainment package

• Contract - 18 months minimum

• Postage and Packaging - £7.99

• Optional Extras - Kids package - £3 per month
    HD package - £3 per month
    Powerline Adapters - £40

With the G4, you can pause and rewind live TV, record up to 150 hours of HD, or 300 hours of the SD Freeview and Entertainment channels - included as standard. You also get access to the ‘on demand’ players such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5.
This package also provides access to the YouView remote record app, which is compatible with the majority of smart phones. You can use this app to record programmes whilst away from your TV.
A full list of the available channels can be found here
A full list of the available channels can be found here
At the moment, the only way that you can receive Plusnet YouView TV is by calling in on 0800 0113 217. If you have previously registered an interest, then you may be receive a call from our Customer Options team at some point.
I will be looking to edit this thread as questions are asked, and feedback is received. However, these are the packages and boxes available as it stands. If you feel that anything needs adding, then don't hesitate to let me know.
Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
95 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet TV FAQ

Are there any specific router requirements Matty?
Will any router work?
Can customers use their own?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Champion

The majority of fibre routers work (FTTC enabled of course). Which one are you using?

EDIT : My apologies, you must be using a multicast enabled router. We provide one if you don't have a Plusnet one already.
Community Veteran

Personally a Fritz!Box 7390, I understand this (and quite a few others) needs a bit of work to enable multicast/IGMP (assuming that's how PNTV works - the same as BT TV?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MattyC
Champion

Just edited my post above. Apologies there. Basically, it needs to be multicast enabled
dynoman
Dabbler

So any news on the availability of any premium sports channels like BT sport or Sky sports?  these are available on BT TV and Talk Talk TV, so will the Plusnet TV service be offering something similar?
Superuser
Superuser

@MattyC , which brand/spec powerline adapters are been offered for £40?
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

@ I.T.Works - Looks like BT branded ones - http://www.plus.net/support/tv/setup/powerline-adaptors/
MattyC
Champion

Hi Mike,
That'll be the BT Flex 500. Pretty good standard in my opinion, and cheaper than most places online.
@dynoman- No sports channels in the offering just yet.
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matty, yes that's a very good price, around £ 69  elsewhere
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Why the need for 15Mb line speed? Is that to allow some overhead if somebody is watching an IPTV channel it still allows the internet to work at some reasonable 2-3Mb speed too? Are the IPTV streams really greater than 3 or 4Mb?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
MattyC
Champion

@godsell4 - A HD stream arguably costs about 5-7Mb. One of the emphasised points of advertisement is that internet channels can be watched and recorded at the same time and there could potentially not be enough bandwidth if sync rates are under performing.
Though we are playing it a little bit safe at the moment, and estimates below this may perform fine.
Fixes: 115

I'm a bit confused. Are you really charging an extra £3 to get BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and a few others?
Apart from Discovery and MTV (neither of which appear to be in HD) there is nothing outstanding in any of the packages and definitely not worth £8 a month to me.
Although I don't have FTTC yet I was hoping there would be something to look forward to. Very disappointing in my opinion.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MattyC
Champion

Quote from: Mav
I'm a bit confused. Are you really charging an extra £3 to get BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and a few others?

Just to clarify; all the freeview channels such as those come as standard with the box, making them inclusive of the £5 a month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

As it is a "standard" freeview+ HD box, all the terrestrial HD channels are there for "free". (e.g. BBCn HD, ITV HD) As long as your transmitter has them on it. Not sure if all the relay transmitters do HD.