cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet TV - Alternative to Sky?

jafreer
Rising Star

Plusnet TV - Alternative to Sky?

I have been a long time Sky subscriber but I took the plunge and ordered Plusnet TV as I was getting tired of the Sky price hikes and felt like I wasn't really getting good value with Sky. I was uncertain as to whether it would be a decent alternative and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. A couple of weeks in and I haven't missed Sky once. I went for the most basic TV packs (5/month) as this seemed to cover most of what I watch. Functionality wise, the Youview box is great and the menus are responsive.

I wanted to make this post as I found it difficult to find any good information on whether this option is a good replacement for Sky, so I wanted to post my experience.

Important things to note - Since the bulk of your channels come in via freeview, make sure you have a good signal and a decent range of channels (common sense really). The Plusnet additional channels come in via Multicast over your internet connection, so make sure you have either a cable to your router, or powerline adapters. There are other ways to do it via wi-fi, but note that the Plusnet One router does not support multicast over wi-fi.

Having had Sky for so long, I think I didn't really give freeview credit for the range of channels on there, it's a half decent selection, that combined with the Plusnet channel packages, make a good alternative to Sky.

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Plusnet TV - Alternative to Sky?

The other alternative is Freesat which has no on-going costs once you've bought the box. It will work off a Sky dish with no adjustment.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jafreer
Rising Star

Yes, freesat seems to also get very good reviews. I think it would only give me a few extra channels that I would actually watch, so not sure if it is worth the investment in the box for that. Another option all the same.

Community Veteran

The main reason we went Freesat was because the Freeview reception here is not very good. No way would I give a penny to the Murdoch empire and the house already had a Sky dish when we moved in.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You don't have to pay Murdoch to watch all his Sky channels. Lol.Wink

We can still receive all the Sky channels but we lost  the catch-up TV function so we decided to get a Plusnet YouView+ box with the HD pack as on our 24 month contract it would cost just as much to buy a Freeview recorder with the catch-up facility & we wouldn't have the additional 20 subscription channels.

We only used Sky for History, Nat Geo, Discovery & SyFy, all of which we'll get with Plusnet.

Community Veteran

The sky box reverts to freesat after you cancel your sky subscription! I kept my sky box in commission because it delivers localised BBC and ITV channels which I don't  get on Freesat because I'm actually tuned into a more distant transmitter for better reception. There are also more news channels on Freesat and I particularly like US public service broadcasting!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Do you mean it reverts to free satellite broadcasting or FreeSat which is actually transmitted by a different satellite?

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@PeterLoftus"The sky box reverts to freesat after you cancel your sky subscription!"

Indeed it does & you also lose the pause & catch-up functions which is why many people now use an alternative satellite receiver.Wink

Community Veteran

Yes sorry, to be correct it reverts to FREESAT from Sky

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra