cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet modem - sort of OK

Grimaudiere

PlusNet modem - sort of OK

So I got the YouView box with HD etc.  Plugged it all in and it worked.  Well done to PlusNet for a simple set-up - all reliable so far.
When I first set it up, I used my old router but the the HD channels didn't work - what I was expecting, so realised I needed to use the supplied PlusNet router.
My home network was set up with a subnet of 192.168.0.xxx with the router as 192.168.0.1.  Annoying then that the LAN IP address of the router is hard-wired, and many settings (e.g. allocate IP based on MAC) are absent, making installing it a pain. I set my old router to be an access point only (bit of a waste, but it's faster than the PlusNet one), turned off the wi-fi on the PlusNet router and hung it between the BT modem and the rest of the home network that runs off a TP Link SG1008D switch, so it doesn't slow the rest of the network down.  Works fine and all channels now available, but going round the network and changing all the settings on the various print servers and NAS was a pain.
Why have such limited scope for set-up on the PlusNet router?  I was expecting more under the Advanced tab.  Some simple options such as selecting its IP address and subnet, restricting the range of allocated IP addresses and allocating IP addresses by MAC would be nice.
Other than that, the whole thing is great - works a treat.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: PlusNet modem - sort of OK

Hi, There is an advanced settings page on the 2704n http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html which I thought(don't have one myself) will allow you to set Fixed IP's and change the subnet
Grimaudiere

Re: PlusNet modem - sort of OK

That's brilliant - would have saved me some time.
Many thanks