cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Youview TV Without An Aerial

Marketman
Grafter

PlusNet Youview TV Without An Aerial

Posting this for an elderly friend who has PlusNet broadband and phone. He is in an area where TV via an aerial is not possible so he has Freesat. He is interested in getting PlusNet TV channels via boadband ( National Geographic etc). My question is can the Youview box be  set up correctly to receive these channels without access to an aerial? He will continue to receive Freesat with his Freesat box.

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: PlusNet Youview TV Without An Aerial

You would think that the premium channels delivered by broadband would would work but all the info seems to infer that you DO need an aerial. Since PN TV is basically BT Youview I figured there'd be more info out there regarding that. Sure enough, this https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/I-don-t-have-an-aerial-and-got-the-channels-through-the-yo... seems to explain why it MAY not work without an aerial

To cut to the chase the reasoning to why it stops working is Network Time Synchronisation (NTS). Apparently the first time you plug the Youview box in, it obtains the time over the broadband connection. However it does occasionally recheck and for some daft reason switches to the Freeview signal to get it. No Signal - No NTS - So No BT Sport, simple as that.

Marketman
Grafter

Interesting!, I wonder if anyone has managed a fix.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 6

When I took part in PNs Youview trial I didn't have the box connected to an Aerial, the only issue I did encounter initially was some of the OD players didn't show up, which support confirmed was correct and they wouldn't until after it was connected to an Aerial and had done a channel scan.

But once I had, it was never connected to an Aerial again and i never had any issues with the IP channels

But perhaps things have changed with subsequent f/W updates since then

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I am watching Nat Geo with the aerial removed so yes, your friend can use a Plusnet YouView box without an aerial for the on demand channels.

I suppose the box could be connected to someone else's aerial to do a channel scan if needs be.

We have a satellite box as well as the YouView box.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I guess worst case a cheap £10 tv top ariel if it just need to be plugged in once in a blue moon for a new time check, then unplug and put back in drawer. Never tried it without ariel before so cant common on how long between that would be, 

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Don't know how good washing powder is, but a Blake DMX10 (extra high gain) with a 15dB masted head amp gives a mind blowing 37% signal strength where I live. Don't think a set-top aerial will give sufficient signal to be measurable Sad

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.