Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixillation and sound issues with OTA channels

FIXED
PeterGx
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Pixillation and sound issues with OTA channels

I have recently upgraded to Plusnet TV and installed the Youview box. The IPTV channels, including Netflix and iPlayer, appear to function normally but the OTA channels suffer from intermittent pixilation and drop out of sound, both of which recover within a few seconds. The issue occurs on both SD and HD channels. I have tried different HDMI ports on the TV and a factory reset but with no improvement. Signal strength and quality are both above 85% and the same channels viewed directly on the TV do not suffer with these issues. Do I have a faulty box or could there be another issue?

25 REPLIES 25
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Pixillation and sound issues with OTA channels

Welcome to the forums @PeterGx 

It does sound like your aerial or the coax cable serving it could be the guilty party here

As the Youview box has the ability to record 2 separate channels, treat it as 2 TV's. Add your original TV and that makes 3.

Before we even took on the Plusnet TV service, I actually upgraded our main aerial and used satellite grade coax cable to a splitter, from there the same grade of coax was run to all the rooms that needed an aerial feed. We do not have any issues with OTA channel pixelation etc.

A cheaper alternative is to preferably borrow at signal amplifier to see if this fixes the OTA channel issues you have. Likewise a signal that is too strong can cause issues too. If this was the case then fitting an attenuator.

Checking the cable at the box end is also worth investigating, to make sure it is connected correctly.

Others may post with other suggestions too.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

Hi

Had a problem with pixilation also after trying a few things got a 4G filter and that cured the problem. Just plugged it in to where the arial plugs into the box....all cured. If you search for AT800 online you can get them free! Good idea to try this first as attenuaters

Highlighted
TTman
Seasoned Pro

Hi

Had a problem with pixilation also after trying a few things got a 4G filter and that cured the problem. Just plugged it in to where the arial plugs into the box....all cured. If you search for AT800 online you can get them free! Good idea to try this first as attenuaters or amplifiers will cost money!!!!     

sorry about duplicate post must have hit a wrong key and dont Know how to delete.DOH!!!!

PeterGx
Dabbler

Thank you for your reply. I've now checked the AT800 website and apparently we are unlikely to be affected by 4G signals at our postcode. Also we only have this issue when watching a programme through the Plusnet box (other TV's in the house are not affected). Helpfully though, the AT800 site has made some other suggestions and we do have a digital telephone base station adjacent to the box which may be the cause of the problem. I've now moved it further away so I'll see if that resolves the problem. Many thanks for your suggestion.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 84

Hi @PeterGx,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the OTA channel issue is causing you. Please let us know if moving the telephone base station doesn't resolve this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterGx
Dabbler

Hi, regrettably not. I'm now considering the suggestion that the signal strength may be too great for the Plusnet PVR. Just checked again and the unit is reporting that both the signal strength and quality are 100%. Does anyone have experience of using an attenuater with this unit. It's particularly baffling as the strong signal does not similarly affect any of the other TV's in the house or the TV that the PVR is connected to. Many thanks to anyone responding.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 43

Hi @PeterGx,

Thanks for getting back in touch and I'm sorry to hear that you've had no luck when moving the telephone base. Before we go any further I just want to check if you've made sure that the TV Aerial is properly plugged in? It may also be worth disconnecting and reconnecting the TV Aerial to see if this has any affect. Have you been able to check if there are any freeview mast/signal outages in your area?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
PeterGx
Dabbler

I have checked the aerial and it appears to be properly attached. Also the TV attached, which takes it OTA signal via the PVR, has never suffered the same problem, which suggests the aerial signal is good. I've not verified if the local transmitter has suffered outages, but as the pixilation occurs once or twice every hour and it's only evident for images derived from the PVR and not for signals using the TV's tuner, I don't believe this is the source of the problem.
DS
Champion

Do you get any error messages pop up on screen?

Might not affect you, but:

Please note: Viewers in Plymouth, Central & South Devon and East Cornwall who receive their TV signal from the Caradon Hill or Plympton transmitters will need to retune their YouView boxes to ensure they receive all available Freeview channels (including BBC (SD), ITV, Channel 4 and 5) after 10th April 2019. 

Even if you're not affected, have you tried to retune in the last few days? It might be worth a go...

Also the info here could be worth reading:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/set-up/how-to-improve-your-signal

PeterGx
Dabbler

It also covered the Torbay transmitter and yes I retuned the PVR and all the TV's.
PeterGx
Dabbler

I've not had any error messages.
DS
Champion

Certainly an odd one then. I'd expect you to see an error message popup during the time the signal was weak, but you're not:huh:

So, just to double check, you have an aerial feed to the YVbox, then from the box to the TV (with antenna out set to yes)? And the HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

I'm wondering if the this isn't a freeview issue, but I think you alluded to earlier(?), an issue from the box to the TV.

(if possible (as in catch it during) can you check the signal strength whilst the issue is occurring?)

PeterGx
Dabbler

I can confirm that the connections and setting is as you describe. Unfortunately the pixilation has only a few seconds duration so not long enough to check the signal strength. I have tried the HDMI cable in ports 1 & 4 of the TV but the problem persisted. I'm just as puzzled as you. Do you have any thoughts on the signal being too strong and the use of an attenuater?
DS
Champion

Thanks for clarifying

Have you tried another HDMI cable? I'm still not too sure where this problem is coming from. If you'd have said it was doing the same on the IPTV channels then it does sound like the box, the HDMI cable or (doubtful) the TV.

But it's only OTA channels, which again puts it back to the aerial, coax, a splitter or an interference/quality issue.

My issues were due to a weak signal - hence a better outside aerial -> splitter in the loft -> multiple (sat grade) coax cables to all rooms that needed it.

Rewinding at bit, you did say 85% and 100% in 2 of your replies - I've just checked mine -> blue Y button -> Settings -> TV Signal and mines a constant 94% strength with 100% quality across several channels I checked. You could try and 'force' the issue by switching all the other TV's on and then checking the signal. If it drops right down then that would be a starting point.

I've not had to mess with attenuators here, so wouldn't really be able to advise on that. Others may post with their advice on this. I do know that if it's too strong then this causes issues ('loading' the other TV's could help with that too I guess...? - as in because you see it often, maybe someone can watch another TV to see if the see picture and/or sound issues too)

It does sound like this could be a hard one to crack.