cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixilation of subscription channels

Taylor09
Dabbler

Pixilation of subscription channels

Grateful for any help - I have a ticket raised, but struggling to get to the solution.

I raised this about year ago - Eurosport picture intermittently pixilates and looses sound.  So far we have had the Master socket moved to the out wall so no interference with intermettantly wiring.  Hub1 connected to master socket directly with ethernet cable.  YouView box directly connected to Hub 1.  Broadband speed around 30mbps.  Tried restarting YouView box etc, but still get pixilation.  Very close to cancelling subscription and moving on!

13 REPLIES 13
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Pixilation of subscription channels

It sounds unlikely, but have you tried the landline and do you have any noise or interference?

Just something else to rule out really.

Taylor09
Dabbler

Yep - Openreach were here last week and moved the Master Socket.  Line totally clear.  Engineer was scratching his head as to the issue as the line is fine and the broadband speed shouldn't be an issue.

Community Veteran

Why did they move the master socket?
Did you have these problems before they did it - just to rule out the change they made has caused it.

Still worth for a couple of minutes doing a 17070 option 2 quiet line test to make sure you hear nothing.

Taylor09
Dabbler

So had this issue on and off for a year.  Originally I used a Powerline adaptor, then swapped out for a 10m ethernet cable to have Hub and YouView hard wired.  Issue returned.  Openreach came and we disconnected the internal phone lines to remove noise from the line.  Things settled down for a while.  Plusnet said there wasn't a fault, then there was a fault on the line.  So last week Openreach came again so we moved the Master socket so we could connect the YouView box to the Hub with a shorter ethernet cable.  This was fine at the weekend, but watching now, it's pixilating again.

Just done quiet line test and all silent.

Community Veteran

Sounds like you've done all you could and your line is now fine.

Could it be a faulty box perhaps and have you tried resetting it?

To rule out it being the box, I would try watching something on YouTube or BBC iPlayer and see if you have any problems there.

If not it could be the box.
If so then it may a problem with your connection.

I assume you're happy with your connection overall (speeds etc), aside from this issue of course.

Taylor09
Dabbler

The problem with re-setting the box, is that I loose the recordings as there is no way to get them off the drive!  I'm happy with the connection speed and iPlayer and other catch-up services work fine.  I'm hoping Plusnet might swap out the Hub to see if that helps (I'm am due a new one since I took out a new contract with them).

Community Veteran

Yes I see your point. Sky+ are the same. I had a box fail on me and I lost all of my recordings.

It might work but no guarantees I suppose. Since you have recontracted have you requested a new hub from PlusNet?

Taylor09
Dabbler

I'll be asking for a new Hub as the next steps - just frustrated that for the first few days after Openreach have had a fiddle, everything is fine, then normal service is resumed.

Taylor09
Dabbler

So the latest was for Openreach to put a new master socket where the phone cable enters the house and plug the Hub straight into that.  This seems to have resolved the Eurosport pixilation problem.  But throws up another issue!  The Hub is now in the corner of the house behind the TV, and audio equipment - not the best place for a good strong wi-fi signal.  I'd be interested to know how people balance the best place for the Hub in terms of minimal internal wiring or the need for v.long ethernet cables, with getting a good wi0fi signal around the house.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 100

Hi there, I run a Hub One from behind my TV and don't experience any problems on either floor of my house with WiFi devices. Have you noticed any issues as yet? In my previous house that wasn't an option as the master socket was in a different part of the house so I used powerline adapters to connect the router to the set top box. 

You might find the guide here useful in terms of optimising WiFi: 

https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Taylor09
Dabbler

Hi, not really seem any major differences.  Most of the wifi devices in the house are Apple, so do you recommend splitting the 2 wifi frequencies into separate SSID's and hooking up the Apple stuff to the 5Ghz (I've read this somewhere as the thing to do with Apple stuff)?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 716

Yeah I'd recommend splitting the two frequencies apart as Apple devices are known to occasionally not like a combined frequency. Let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had this problem on all IP streamed channels (SD and HD).

I had (over the course of several months)

3 new Master sockets / faceplates.

Moved to a new pair of wires back to the cabinet (I had a spare pair from an old ISDN2 install which were perfectly balanced)

Lift and shift at the cabinet

Port changes back at the exchange.

I also tried a second PN YV box - same issue

Problem decreased but never went away.  Only good thing from it was my broadband speed went up by 10Mb

Multicast has no packet resend ability so any slight packet loss anywhere between the multicast injection point and your box causes pixelation.