Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixellated screen but not on all channels

rogadodge
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Pixellated screen but not on all channels

I keep getting a message after a lot of pixellation that my tv signal is too weak. Strange, as the mainstream channels (BBC, BBC, it, ch4 ) are perfect. As they are perfect and the signal strength and quality are excellent I don't believe it can be any of the cables or aerial. This only leaves the box itself or software.
The channels that are affected are 10,20, 21,26,27,30,34,37,44,54, 58, 59,61,63, 66,70, 83,(I didn't go any higher, it was too demoralising). Curiously channel 5 was OK, but 5+1 was not.
Could this be a software issue or could the box be on its way out, we've had it quite a while?
10 REPLIES 10
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Pixellated screen but not on all channels

Have you checked if the channels are affected with the aerial directly to the TV?

Channels 10,20, 21,26,27 (that's all I checked) are on Mux COM4, so it could be a result of the changes to allow mobile phones to use more of the spectrum (obviously, they are more important than TV Shocked ).

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
rogadodge
Community Veteran

Thanks Phil. Looks like you may be onto something - though too be honest after googling it I'm still pretty much in the dark. Does this mean there is nothing I can do to improve it? Because if not its another nail in the coffin for youview. I would have to consider going back to sky after 6 years away. Not something I would consider lightly.
jelv
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

If you still have a Sky dish look at FreeSat - all you need to do is buy a box. You get pretty much all the same channels as FreeView but far better signal quality and no monthly fee. Best of all you are not in any way associated with Murdoch!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Community Veteran

If it is due to the mobile 4G signal you may be entitled to a free filter (and free fitting).

Have a look at https://at800.tv/

rogadodge
Community Veteran

Thanks Jelv. I have blasted an email off to them. Fingers crossed. It seems like we are plagued with faults at the moment with our plusnet services - our Internet keeps dropping too. Netflix stops at 25% and rubber bands. Even the X boxes keeps coming up with a message that the signal had been interrupted. At least the books are still in print so that's OK - - unless the power goes. If that happens I may have to talk to the wife! 😣
rogadodge
Community Veteran

Quick update... After a quick five minute phone conversation they are sending me a filter, so hopefully all will be resolved. I'm now wondering if this could be affecting Wifi too?
jelv
Community Veteran

We have a rooftop signal booster so had to have an engineer from at800 come out to fit it - he came yesterday. What surprised me was that in addition to the filter between the amplifier and the aerial he also gave us a filter for the back of each television as the coax cables can pick up the 4G interference.

The difference is astounding - best Freeview signal we've had for months.

rogadodge
Community Veteran

We are going to have to rely on the filter at the back of the TV - our aerial has an inbuilt amplifier. Fingers crossed it works!
rogadodge
Community Veteran

Ok, quick update. Filter is like the parsons egg - good in parts. Had the engineers out, and because our aerial has a built in amplifier they can't do anything. I now have to buy a new aerial or, because we have an old sky satellite dish, get a free sat receiver. Either way an expense forced upon us. Not very happy.
Now the question is, can I connect freesat to the youview box?
stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

@rogadodge wrote:
Now the question is, can I connect freesat to the youview box?

I'm afraid not. The YouView box only accepts a terrestrial signal, not satellite.