cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture blocking and breaking up, the sound as well.

Finguz
Grafter

Picture blocking and breaking up, the sound as well.

I'll be honest, we very rarely watch anything on the Youview box, but the last couple of times the Mrs has noticed the picture blocking and breaking up pretty badly and the sound can be pretty spotty as well. For example about 10 minutes ago ( 12:30a.m ) she was watching the end of a film on ITV 2 and it was pretty bad with long horizontal lines of the picture pixelating and becoming blocky with the sound spitting an skipping. Considering the time it was, I seriously doubt this can be due to any kind of congestion. The internet connection also appears to be fine.
Previously, we have never seen this issue.
Is this likely to be caused by a failing Youview box, or should we be checking elsewhere?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Picture blocking and breaking up, the sound as well.

ITV2 is not an internet channel, it's on FreeView, so it would be worth checking the aerial connection. You could try plugging the aerial directly in to the TV, bypassing the YouView box, to see if the same sort of thing happens.
Finguz
Grafter

Sorry for the massive delay, I'd forgotten about this post.
Basically no, we get no problems with the aerial directly into the TV, but we do via the Youview box. Also I could be wrong about it being ITV2 when I posted initially, I'd shouted through to the Mrs. and the reply sounded like ITV2  Crazy
We get quite bad break up of the picture on both internet and aerial based channels anyway, but not on the freeview channels with the aerial directly into the telly.
Community Veteran

Just last night I disconnected the power-line adaptors I had been using because the Internet channels were constantly freezing for a couple of seconds, and then carrying on as normal. I've replaced them with 20m of Cat 6 Ethernet cable, and the problem has gone away.
In your case, the suspect section may well be the patch cable between the YouView box and the aerial socket on the TV.
Finguz
Grafter

Thanks for replying!
It's a brand new HDMI cable from the Youview box to a Denon AVR, and another new HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV. I have several more cables though, so I'll try swapping them this evening. I've already tried bypassing the AVR and it made no difference.
All our wired connections are Cat6 cable, via a gigabit router and 2 gigabit switches. We don't have any power line stuff.
I should also point out that for the first couple of months we had no issues with the picture via the Youview box.
mav:quote
Finguz
Grafter

I've tried several different HDMI cables now and the problem remains.
I'll contact support and see what they think.
Community Veteran

Does it still happen if you connect he YouView box directly to the TV, leaving the Denon AVR out of the picture, so to speak?
It's always best to rule that sort of thing out. If there's a problem with the extra box in the circuit, then you need to check that out as well.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 25

Have you checked you router speeds?
I had a similar problem last year, missed a few programmes I had tried to record, turned out that my speeds had dropped, pings were much higher, and needed OR to reset something in the cabinet.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: Mustrum
Have you checked you router speeds?

The OP states that it is happening on Freeview channels as well as internet so it cannot be the router.
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
Does it still happen if you connect he YouView box directly to the TV, leaving the Denon AVR out of the picture, so to speak?
It's always best to rule that sort of thing out. If there's a problem with the extra box in the circuit, then you need to check that out as well.

Yes, as I said in a previous post, I've tried bypassing the AVR. The router and switches are fine with good speeds. The FireTV, the two Chromecasts, the Kodi box and everything else in the house works fine; the only exception being a dodgy toaster.
We only get a problem when the Youview box is in the signal path, and it only started shortly before xmas. Prior to that, it also seemed to be working just fine.
I appreciate all the replies, and I guess I'll see what support have to say on Monday.