cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbi YouView IPC6023 Error

MitchellThomas
Hooked

Orbi YouView IPC6023 Error

Wonder if anyone can help. I have Plusnet TV with Youview, I am using the Openreach Huawei modem and RBK30 Orbi system with IGMP proxy enabled and BT IGMP support enabled also. After about 5 minutes of watching an IPTV channel on the Youview box, I am presented with the IPC6023 error. Has anyone managed to resolve this?
6 REPLIES 6
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 88

Re: Orbi YouView IPC6023 Error

You're not the only one with that problem with various Netgear routers.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/IPC-6023-error-with-a-Netgear-router/td-p/1842462

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Plusnet-TV-amp-Netgear-D6220-Router-IPC6023/td-p/1559525

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Regular-IPC-6023-errors/td-p/1823848

The fix seems to be go back to the BT Hub or PN hub. You could probably use the PN hub one (i assume you've got one?) and then the Orbi just as a wireless access point.

MitchellThomas
Hooked

Looks like running the Orbi in AP mode will have to do for now then. Disappointing that the Orbi doesn’t seem to work with Plusnet TV.
Superuser
Superuser

IPTV uses a multicast system and the router has got to maintain throughput ( and probably prioritorise ) this traffic for it to work.

I'm guessing here but...

Since IPTV is a big part of BT's product portfolio they probably design (and test) their own routers performance for IPTV. Since PN's HUb one is really a rebadged BT HH5 it's firmware will have been designed with IPTV in mind.

Whilst Netgear (and other manufacturers) will have allowed for some support for IPTV , I'm not convinced they will have applied the same level of performance testing for it. Having said that, I use a Draytek router and that works fine with PN TV so it is possible for other manufacturers to do it.

Most third party routers seem to be designed these days with improved Wifi performance as being the priority, which is probably what 90% of the market is looking for. The problem is that IPTV needs multicast throughput to a wired connection.

MitchellThomas
Hooked

That’s true. The BT IGMP support must be broken in recent firmware or broken to start with.
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure it's that simple, I suspect the router, under some circumstances, just doesn't process the IPTV stream fast enough.

With normal catch-up TV that's not a problem since you're streaming from a historical source and it can be buffered by the streaming software. As long as the internet connection is faster, over a reasonable period, than is needed for streaming then the buffering can cope with it and any momentary hiccup can be handled. With IPTV, you're processing a live stream in near real time, there's perhaps a second or so of buffering but any longer would not be possible. So if you get a momentary delay now in the multicast stream then that's it, you lose it completely and get an error

MitchellThomas
Hooked

Agreed probably isn’t that simple. However there is a lot more processing power in the Orbi router than the standard Plusnet one, to me that shouldn’t really be an issue.