cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer version of the plusnet youview_ box

BST
Grafter

Newer version of the plusnet youview_ box

Hi, is there a newer version of the Youview+ box on the horizon or is the current model likely to be the one on offer for the foreseeable future.

I am thinking about taking the subscription to Plusnet tv before the start of the MotoGP season.

13 REPLIES
jafreer
Rising Star

Re: Newer version of the plusnet youview_ box

BT has a newer version of the box that is UHD compatible (only for UHD sports channel customers I think - the non UHD customers still get the standard YV+ box). I think a PN member of staff posted just a few weeks ago stating that there were no intentions of changing the box for now. You can get the UHD box on Ebay if you really want to buy one (but I think there is only one UHD channel, and that is on BT).

I have the standard YV+ box and the cheapest PN channel package and I have to say I have been really impressed with it. I dropped Sky in favour of this and haven't looked back since.

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The youview+ box plusnet provides is the smallest one and same to the BT one and works well with IPTV

With all the on demand players and one channel only in UHD there is not much meaning in the BT UHD offer besides image quality for HD is worse

You can also fetch a second hand talktalk box DN372 that works well and is less prone to interference on ebay for £40 new there will be no warranty of course

biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the G4 box from PN and find it excellent in all repects,my old Huawei 372 box from TT is still in use and works very well,without the update which is on the way!!

BST
Grafter

Thanks for the answers.
@interceptor Is the BT sport HD quality not very good then?
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

BT Sport HD is very good. To be honest even standard definition looks better than Sky SD

Generally BT/Plusnet TV is same or higher quality than satellite on the HD box

However if you get the UHD box the HD image is very soft

BST
Grafter

Thanks that sounds ok then.
Just another quick question, will they send a new Plusnet router for free as well as they seem to recommend using one as opposed to my own router.
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

The router needs to support IGMP proxying for multicast

The router provided does that over ethernet and you will need to connect the youview box with a cable or if not possible powerline adapters

You can use third party routers as long as they support IGMP proxying in fact I use a netgear R7000 and also a buffalo ethernet bridge and no powerline and works fine

jafreer
Rising Star

Just to add to this thread. I highly recommend using a cable to connect your YV box to the router. Powerline adapters can be used but I was getting picture breakups (only on the PN channels) and I tried 2 different brands of adapter. I may just have noisy mains wiring in my house as I know people have used powerline adapters successfully, but in my opinion, nothing beats a cable from the router to the YV box.

I did get a new Hub One when I subscribed to PN TV, presumably because I was taking out a new contract.

sarczoid
Grafter

The comment about the picture quality is a bit disingenuous....   Sky Satellite channels generally have a higher bitrate than IPTV from PlusNet or BT.

Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

@sarczoid

Astra HD channels typically carry at best 52 mbps for six stream that is 8,6 mbps further more the codec is MPEG2 which is less efficient than BT IPTV MPEG4. So whilst HD IPTV and Satellite have the same bitrate IPTV has better compression and therefore better quality. Now can you actually see the difference? I generally find that HD on BT/PN looks better than Sky especially sports

BST
Grafter

Well i called to see how much to add TV to my package, with my current fiber and line rental package/deal it would cost me £41.98 if i could have added Plusnet tv, BT sport pack and HD channel pack.
But as i would have to take a new line and fibre rental then the cost increase goes up to £46.97 and this is for 24 month contract as well.
He told me to ring again next week to see if there is a better offer.
Interceptor121
Aspiring Pro

Plusnet TV is pretty much fixed price and requires 18 months contract not sure why 24?

BST
Grafter

I was a bit surprised when i was told it was 24 months i guess i should have asked the reason why.
I`m not in any rush anyway, my main reason for wanting it is for the MotoGP .
I just had a look at BT website and i could get a slightly better package for £41.99 reduced to £36.99 for 3 months 12 month contract and cashback from Topcashback as well.