cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer Questions

apwood
Hooked

New customer Questions

HI I'm currently with TalkTalk, including Youview+ (though I have Sky that I'm going to cancel).

I'm considering switching to PlusNet fibre and TV, but have some questions:

1. Is there any way to ensure I can get the required 15 mbps fibre connection for Plusnet TV, before committing myself to a contract?  It wouldn't be good to switch and then find I can no longer get a TV service!

2. I read on a another thread that there is no on demand catchup service for the premium (internet) channels.  Is that correct?  Both BT and TalkTalk provide on demand catchup for at least some of these channels.  On demand is even included in the search facility alongside all the freeview on demand players.  Note - I'm aware boxsets are not available, I don't care about that, I just need 7 days or ideally a months catchup.

3. Is it correct that two of the premium (internet) channels can be recorded at the same time I know that the BT youview+ box can do this, but TalkTalk don't allow it.

12 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: New customer Questions

Hey @apwood.

In answer to your questions:

1. Is there any way to ensure I can get the required 15 mbps fibre connection for Plusnet TV, before committing myself to a contract?  It wouldn't be good to switch and then find I can no longer get a TV service!

Yes, in fact it's the only way as generally it's only available to existing customers at the moment.

2. I read on a another thread that there is no on demand catchup service for the premium (internet) channels.  Is that correct?  Both BT and TalkTalk provide on demand catchup for at least some of these channels.  On demand is even included in the search facility alongside all the freeview on demand players.  Note - I'm aware boxsets are not available, I don't care about that, I just need 7 days or ideally a months catchup.

Which channels do you mean? Would you be able to reel off a few specific channels/services?

3. Is it correct that two of the premium (internet) channels can be recorded at the same time I know that the BT youview+ box can do this, but TalkTalk don't allow it.

You can record two at the same time (but can't record any other broadcasts).

Hope this helps

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
apwood
Hooked

Thanks, perhaps I didn't make my query clear?

I know that I have to order Fibre Broadband first and then  order TV.  I'm worried that I might get less than 15mbps and so my TV order will be rejected.  I need to be able to confirm I will get 15mbps BEFORE it is too late to cancel.  I don't want to end up being locked into and 18 month Fibre Broadband contract without TV,  I'd only be ordering Fibre so I can get Plusnet TV.  

Plusnet phoned me today because I'd been checking prices on their website.  They said that I would receive a guaranteed 39 Mbps connection.  I wonder what they meant by "guaranteed".  If it proves to be less than 15Mbps could I then cancel?

Ideally I need catchup for Syfy channel, Comedy Central, Gold, W (Watch), and Universal channel.  Actually, TalkTalk Youview doesn't provide catchup for these, though it does for its Sky Channels.  I understand that BT TV does provide catchup though, at least for some of these channels, depending on the tv channel pack purchased.

Does Plusnet provide catchup too for any of these channels?

Just to be clear, can I, for example, record both Syfy and Comedy Central at the same time?  If I can't then record a 3rd channel (not even freeview), that's OK.

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Recording multiple channels is discussed in  this thread

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

apwood wrote:

Thanks, perhaps I didn't make my query clear?

I know that I have to order Fibre Broadband first and then  order TV.  I'm worried that I might get less than 15mbps and so my TV order will be rejected.  I need to be able to confirm I will get 15mbps BEFORE it is too late to cancel.  I don't want to end up being locked into and 18 month Fibre Broadband contract without TV,  I'd only be ordering Fibre so I can get Plusnet TV.  

Plusnet phoned me today because I'd been checking prices on their website.  They said that I would receive a guaranteed 39 Mbps connection.  I wonder what they meant by "guaranteed".  If it proves to be less than 15Mbps could I then cancel?

Ideally I need catchup for Syfy channel, Comedy Central, Gold, W (Watch), and Universal channel.  Actually, TalkTalk Youview doesn't provide catchup for these, though it does for its Sky Channels.  I understand that BT TV does provide catchup though, at least for some of these channels, depending on the tv channel pack purchased.

Does Plusnet provide catchup too for any of these channels?

Just to be clear, can I, for example, record both Syfy and Comedy Central at the same time?  If I can't then record a 3rd channel (not even freeview), that's OK.

Right, I get you. Apologies for misunderstanding earlier.

Our TV ordering systems rely on your estimated speeds by the DSL checker. If you are estimated above 15 here, then we're good to go.

We shouldn't be guaranteeing speeds by the way....are you ok to PM your username over so I could feed that back?

As long as the channels provide a catch up service, we should be able to offer it out to you.

Hope this helps.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
apwood
Hooked

That telephone line checker didn't work for me, despite having this telephone number for over 2 years.  It said:

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line

Is that because I'm currently with TalkTalk?  If so, how do I know my estimated line speed before agreeing to move to Plusnet?

I tried some telephone numbers from family members too, none of them worked in the checker.

mikelahey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

Is that because I'm currently with TalkTalk?  If so, how do I know my estimated line speed before agreeing to move to Plusnet?

Yes it's because you're with Talktalk, the line checker doesn't work for Talktalk ,Sky and Virgin lines, only lines provided over the BT network like Plusnet, BT Retails etc..

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

@apwood

You will need to use the address checker by clicking on "Address Checker"  at BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

apwood
Hooked

The address checker says:

FTTC Range B (Impacted)  High 73.7 Mbps Low 41.2Mbps

Does that mean I'd be likely to get around 40 Mbps?

Still the original question applies, if Plusnet TV orders use the Telephone number checker instead of the address checker, how can I switch from TalkTalk, but be sure to be eligible for the TV service before it is too late to cancel?

This is a BT provided line (via OpenReach), it's just that my current contract is with TalkTalk.

mikelahey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

Your current phone line isn't a BT (Openreach) line as Talktalk are an LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) provider, which means your line is connected to TalkTalk equipment in the telephone exchange rather than Openreach equipment. In your case Openreach are only responsible for the connection from the exchange to your house so its not classed as a BT line.

As there is no Openreach equipment currently connected to your line they can't tell what your line quality is like so they can only provide a generic estimate based on distance to the cab from your house base on postcode which is why the top and bottom line speeds are so far apart on the DSL Checker website.

By the way the LLU switching process is a little more complex than a normal switch on an Openreach line, first your phone line is switched then a week later your broadband is switched. This means you will be without broadband for a week after your phone has been switched over.

apwood
Hooked

Thanks for that explanation.  I'm still no nearer though to knowing if I would definitely be able to get TV from Plusnet.  How reliable is the lower figure?  If I might end up without TV, then I can't even consider switching to Plusnet.

Is it possible to switch the telephone line from LLU to Plusnet, BT or any other non-LLU company, with a short contract (ideally just a monht), and then sign up to a full contract once the line speed can be tested?

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Is it possible to switch the telephone line from LLU to Plusnet, BT or any other non-LLU company, with a short contract (ideally just a monht), and then sign up to a full contract once the line speed can be tested?

No as the new provider has to pay the minimum of one year's cost to BT Wholesale for the line regardless of how long you are their customer. So they need to lock you in to a contract which are either 12 , 18 or 24 months depending on the supplier and the discounted offer to get for signing up.

How reliable is the lower figure?

It is an estimate so  no one can guarantee that it is correct.

However, are you currently on TalkTalk's fibre offer? If so what speeds are you getting from  ThinkBroadband Speed Test?

The LLU part of your current line is at the exchange only, the rest of the cable and equipment is the normal Openreach stuff so if you currently get FTTC from TalkTalk and get good speeds, you should (in theory) get similar speeds elsewhere

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

@apwood

Also look at ThinkBroadBand Speedtest Map

Put in your postcode, then click Enable by the Speed Test results in the left hand column. Zoom in if necessary to get results. Click on the speed bubbles to get more detail such as ISP, number of tests, speed etc

Hopefully some one in your immediate area has posted results there and you can get an idea of what others nearby get.