cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BT Sport Europe channel

Community Veteran

New BT Sport Europe channel

Any news (http://www.btplc.com/News/#/pressreleases/uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-to-be-free-with-bt-tv-1175981) on whether the new BT Sport Europe channel will be included in the £5.99 (+£1.50 for HD) monthly charge?
If not, you might want to update your advertising here https://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/ asap as UEFA Europa League will be exclusive on the new channel.
18 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: New BT Sport Europe channel

Thanks for spotting that Andy.
It's still under discussion at the moment but as soon as I have news for public consumption I'll let you know.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

Thanks Matty. I suspect there will be an additional cost, so we will have to see what happens.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I'm not at all interested in football, european football less so. if it isn't included in our current BTSport/ESPN package will we be able to opt out of that channel? If I'm honest I'm only interested in Premiership Rugby and Moto GP so the extra channel has nothing for me.
Community Veteran

Looks like the answer is a price increase:
Quote from: keith99
I have just had an email through advising that from 4 August, BT Sport (including the new Europe channel) is increasing from £7.49 to £12.49. Thats £9.99 for the standard channels and £2.50 for HD.
Bearing in mind that the original price is half of what you would pay i wonder if this is still the case?
Either way, its a £5 rise for the chance to watch the European football competitions, which i guess is not bad when you consider Sky put sport up by £4 and they have lost the Champions League.

Those non-footballers who get BT Sport won't be happy, unless there is an option for BT Sport without the European channel.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I too have just had the same email, to say I'm pretty annoyed is an understatement. Plusnet, I DO NOT WANT FOOTBALL! Unless there is an option to not have the Europe channel then I will not be continuing with my BTSport subscription and quite probably cancelling my Broadband and phone too.
I have been trying to reduce my BB/TV/Phone costs over recent weeks. Now this! I think it would be a whole lot cheaper to find a pub televising whatever events I want to watch or use NowTV.
This is the thinnest end of the thinnest of wedges. If BT/Sky are so dumb to pay £Billions for football don't expect me to follow suit.
Signing off now as what I want to say will have the forum police onto me who'll issue me with a Red Card....probably!  Angry
shamus
Grafter

Posted this in the Other Queries forum... But feel it needs repeating here:
I have also just received the same email. For me this is a step too far... I only subscribe to BT Sport for the MotoGP coverage. I have no interest whatsoever in domestic football let alone european football. But to watch the sport I love I now find myself subsidising yet another channel that I have no interest in. This represents a price increase of over 66% which to me is totally unacceptable. I will be voting with my wallet and cancelling  Cry
Community Veteran

It's also been posted on the Plusnet site now - https://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/
From 4th August the price of BT Sport from Plusnet on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform is changing to £9.99 a month for SD and £12.49 for HD, and will include BT Sport Europe, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and BT Sport ESPN.

It doesn't look like there will be a standalone option for those just wanting BT Sport without the football.
JackHennety

Well I have BT Sport currently only for the football, but this increase is still a bridge too far.  Already have all the sport on Sky and £7.99 I could just about stomach in addition to that, but £12.49 feels like a big leap. 
What I find galling is that if it had just jumped to say, £9.99 (which it has actually, if you just want SD) I would have lived with it; it's the fact that it's £3.49 extra for the HD version that narks me.  I mean come on!  I got HD on Sky when it was first available, nine years ago.  I think we should be long past the point of paying extra premiums for HD (and yes, I know Sky does it - I disagree with them as well).  BT Sport Europe will be broadcasting 4K, and yet they still want an extra £3.49 for HD as if it's the next big thing?  No thanks.
I've already cancelled BT Sport, to take effect from August.  Plusnet didn't make any effort to change my mind at all - just a simple 'ok that's done', which I found slightly surprising.  They didn't ask why.  So that's that. 
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Somebody at plusnet better wake up and smell the coffee. We may not have the clout of the Taylor Swift's of this world but we will vote with our feet.
Community Veteran

The pricing for me does seem strange.
Before it was £5.99 plus £1.50 for HD. Now it's £9.99 for SD (+£4) or £12.49 for HD (+£5).
Maybe there will be a re-think on a standalone package without the Europe channel if there is a sudden exodus of Plusnet customers.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

66% increase on both the basic SD fee (£5.99 > £9.99) and the HD 'addon' (£1.50 > £2.50)
Community Veteran

The 4K channel won't be via Sky also - so they can't use that as an excuse for the HD add-on increase.
Perhaps if online/Youview access was also included in the price increase, people might take some comfort for that.
peterrey

Fully agree with all the above comments, a fully unwarrented very large increase in the price. Like others I have little interest in the football and mainly use the BT sport for the Rugby. Given the other speed problems that I also have I will be looking to cancel the BT package and possible the whole contract. It is virtually as cheap to go with BT direct now. Why o why do they not include the BT Sport package in the Youview setup, which may make people more likely to stay. Angry
tyoung4665

hopefully bt sport will come to plusnet tv soon