Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear and plusnet

thehypnootoad
Dabbler

Netgear and plusnet

Just after some advice more than anything
I was running a nighthawk R7000 and Dm200
For iptv at my previous address it worked flawlessly I since moved and when using same setup the iptv only works 5 mins and get error code ipc6023 i since been sent a new plusnet router and it works flawless at this address but cant understand how the netgear setup worked brilliant at one address and wont at this address tried allsorts upgrading firmware dropping firmware trying tomato open wrt resetting the lot and still same im dissapointed ive had to drop using the netgear equipment because this issue does anyone have any idea what this issue is as stated works fine with plusnet router just not netgeqr know
9 REPLIES
DavRo
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Netgear and plusnet

I'm using a Netgear R6400 (which is very similar to the 7000) and have also recently moved house, as a result of which I'm now using Devolo powerline adapters rather than the ethernet cable I used hitherto.

Mostly BT Sport works on all channels. But last Tuesday and Wednesday (and a few times before that) I was getting ipc6023 errors after a few minutes of selecting the channel. I wondered if the powerline was the problem; another computer shares the network. So I connected the ethernet cable - and it worked for the rest of the evening. But it took a while to rig that up so the problem might have resolved itself anyway.

But it was OK on powerline yesterday and is working now.

So something has changed. At the moment I suspect the powerline adapters, maybe interference, but I don't want have ethernet cable permanently draped from one room to another and I'm not ready to drill a hole in the wall yet. There are other possibilities. The IPTV characteristics may have changed in some way, for higher definition say, and be less compatible with the Netgear firmware. There was recently a Netgear firmware upgrade which may have broken something. It may be a traffic problem - the football match it failed on would have been popular and maybe that affects my IPTV feed in some way.

Another thing I noticed was that the failing channels had a red-button service. Sometimes the picture disappeared leaving only the ref dot! The one that's working now doesn't. Coincidence? 

thehypnootoad
Dabbler

Re: Netgear and plusnet

Its slightly odd but just cant get my head round why it doesn't work I have roll back to 2 previous firmware's from Netgear and still same tried resets and custom firmware like tomato or ddwrt & open wrt.  But still its very odd I have tried running Ethernet and power lines still no difference with the hub one i received other day I am running power line adapters (btflex500) and work fine. The thing is the TV with Netgear will work for around 5 minutes then produce ipc6023 I have heard from forums if theirs something like 5 errors in so many minutes this error will appear read another saying its not receiving enough bandwidth i have reached out to Netgear forums but probably wont have much luck just hoping one day it will fix itself I have tried QOS in Netgear and obviously enabled the BT option for the multicast. The problem is I prefer to use my Netgear as i find it better than the router Plusnet provide (no offence Plusnet)

DavRo
Grafter

Re: Netgear and plusnet (IPC6023)

Over the weekend I had no problems with BT Sport using the powerline adapters. Last night it all failed with IPC6023. It's not the powerline network - no different with ethernet. And it's not the red button.

So I've swapped the Netgear out for the Plusnet Hub 1 and I'll see whether that works better.

DavRo
Grafter

Same IPC6023 errors with Plusnet Hub 1. 

DavRo
Grafter

Reverted to PN Hub 1and updated to latest f/w. Replaced powerlines by ethernet. IPTV worked for several days.
Back to Netgear. Worked during daytime but failed (blank screen ) in the evening.
Back to Hub 1: all working.
I don't know what the problem is or what's changed but I'm abandoning the Netgear unless I read of a fix.
thehypnootoad
Dabbler

The only thing to do is turn you router into a access point and use the plusnet as primary 

DavRo
Grafter

What would be the benefit of that?
thehypnootoad
Dabbler

Simply reasone would be

1. Get use out of Netgear

2.Better Wireless Range  

Your can put Asus wrt merlin on which does work as tested it the other day it just had a few drop outs for me with other devices but waiting for new firmware which should hopefully fix this could possibly work flawless for you but if not can always put it back to genie firmware.

the link to installing is here 

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

DavRo
Grafter

1 Better to put it on ebay Wink
2 This is valid. But I've recently moved to a smaller and less-substantial house, so I don't need the range any more.
I mainly miss the additional control I had over the Netgear. E.g. I could turn more stuff off, and email myself the logs and analyse them automatically. But the Hub 1 seems to perform OK.