cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix is fine - 50Mb speed, but no internet channels?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Netflix is fine - 50Mb speed, but no internet channels?

The history - Plusnet tv with internet via powerline adapters (second set - first set kept dropping signal). Powerline adapters occasionally drop signal when heating clicks on. decided to use a Netgear wifi extender  Netgear wifi extender with an ethernet socket.

I have set it up, and have access to Netflix without issue. I am unable to get any internet channels. I've done a speed test via the ethernet cable into the extender and got results ..Ping 1ms,  Download speed 49.93Mbps,  Upload speed 9.39Mbps.

I can't figure out why I can't access internet channels yet internet is fine and even Netflix is fine via the Youview box.

Any ideas anyone please?

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 25

Re: Netflix is fine - 50Mb speed, but no internet channels?

Which router are you using?

Community Veteran

It's the 'all-in-one' fibre one provided by Plusnet.

Fixes: 101

the powerline adapters can screw things up iirc
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

The powerline adapters work fine except for when the heating 'clicks on'. Not a problem in summer, but with winter coming up i wanted to replace them with this wifi extender.  The extender works ( I can stream Netflix on the TV via the Youview box, and by connecting my laptop to the extender with the ethernet cable I can verify that that it provides full internet access at @ 50Mbps). In fact the youview box comes up with the message ..'Youview is now reconnected to to the broadband(internet?)'  or some such.Yet none of the internet channels are viewable - error IPC6023.

Most baffling

Community Veteran

I've had a reply from Youview after I emailed them about this. Their response is that it is the way Plusnet encode the signal from the router that is the issue. I will phone Plusnet when I Have a couple of hours to spare... I hate having to hang up on a "please wait, your call is important to us" message....I know that I was just about to be answered! 😕
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

The internet channels are transmitted using multicast rather than being streamed like Netflix. I don't believe the PN hub one will transmit multicast over it's wireless connection ( not sure if any router will ) so you won't get the channels via a wireless extender.

Fixes: 101

rogadodge wrote:

The powerline adapters work fine

Apologies, my reply was a bit brief. I think during the trial there were issues with certain powerline adapters and the multicast signal. Are they PN provided or your own powerline adapters?

As @MisterW has already mentioned the multicast won't work over wifi.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Thanks guys, didn't realise about the multicast and wifi. Seems like my only options then are powerline adapters or running cables through the hall and into the living room (I know she won't go for that!).
I've had TP link adapters, I'm not sure what I've got at moment (or maybe I Have the TP link ones now). I will check when I get home.
Both of them disconnect/buffer , we think when the heating/dishwasher/washing machine switch on/off/change programmes - though this set do it less than the last set.
It's somewhat annoying watching something and it goes like this....
"I can reveal to you the murderer is.."..BUFFER..BUFFER.BUFFER......then straight into an advert for tampons.😲