cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum line speed for Plusnet TV

BigAl1
Hooked

Minimum line speed for Plusnet TV

Why do Plusnet insist on such a high minimum line speed for Plusnet TV. I wanted to subscribe to Plusnet TV but was not allowed too because their system shows my line speed is 14.6 and it has to be at least 15 Mbps. Yet the regular speed tests I run show the download speed is never below 18.0 Mbps. When I queried this with Customer Services they said they have no discretion on this and no ability to override their system to allow me to subscribe to Plusnet TV. So it seems I have to move to a different Provider if I want a TV option.

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Minimum line speed for Plusnet TV

Something is adrift

Can you post the results from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and The BT Speedtest Further Diagnostics

Of course if you can get the speed data from your router that would be even better

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Hi welcome to the forum

If you always getting a download speed of 18.0 Mbps , then it is impossible to have a line speed of 14.6 , i can only assume what ever data the adviser is looking at is incorrect.

If you do bt speed test , then do further diagnostics , and post the results
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Kind regards
Mike

Mike
BigAl1
Hooked

Screen print from BT speed test:

BigAl1
Hooked

Screen print from portal.plus.net.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

In which case I can only think it may be from this result

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

BigAl1
Hooked

I can see where the 14.6 Mbps comes from using this link http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ but as seen by the speed test the actual speed is higher than the minimum. Any suggestions how to convince Plusnet to accept the speed actually received?

Superuser
Superuser

As Oldjim says, seems  they must be going from the data given for your line estimates , rather than using your actually line stats.

Ring back up and give them the information from you BT further diagnostics test , and tell them to look at your line stats if need be , then hopefully common sense will be used, and you can order the TV service 

Regards
Mike

Mike
BigAl1
Hooked

Ok thanks, I will give it a try and see if common sense will prevail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The current line speed looks suspiciously like a default for ADSL (it doesn't relate to the IP Profile).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

I don't believe the account will allow the advisor to add TV if the minimum speed in the estimate range is lower than 15Mbps.

Although I appreciate your service may currently be performing at a higher speed than the low end of the estimate, if you were to take out a 24 month contract for YouView and then during this time your speeds dropped (While still remaining within the estimates for your line) the YouView service may no longer work as expected, due to matters our of our and your control.

EDIT: This was previously discussed here: https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Why-the-need-for-15mb-internet-speed-for-Youview/m-p/1337694

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser

HarryB wrote:

I don't believe the account will allow the advisor to add TV if the minimum speed in the estimate range is lower than 15Mbps.

Although I appreciate your service may currently be performing at a higher speed than the low end of the estimate, if you were to take out a 24 month contract for YouView and then during this time your speeds dropped (While still remaining within the estimates for your line) the YouView service may no longer work as expected, due to matters our of our and your control.

So if a customers estimated lowest speed was 16.Mbps , then great they could order , their speeds could also drop below 15Mbps, Its all if and buts.

So rather than use correct factual figures, the system would rather use lowest estimated ( does not sound logical in my head), @HarryB is this system/decision that wont allow it to be added a PN one?  

If it is PN decision , in this circumstances could you not allow customers to order , but put something in the t and c regarding  the speeds

Regards
Mike

Mike
BigAl1
Hooked

HarryB what I am finding most frustrating is the apparent inability of PN to apply discretion to this request.

Your systems show a minimum estimated speed of 14.6 mbps on my line when PN TV requires 15 mbps. So the delta is only 0.4 mbps on a theoretical basis because my actual speeds are much higher. I find it hard to believe there would be a catastrophic failure of the TV service if the actual speed did drop below 15 mbps but not below 14.6 mbps. Does 0.4 mbps really make that much difference?

Hence my point about discretion or some common sense being shown when I have already said I will accept the risk and sign a disclaimer if required.

Community Veteran

Don't shoot me but is it possible that what's really being said is buy our high speed fibre connection and then you can have the TV.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Not at all @billnotben.

If a customer is on the lower fibre package (40/2) and has speed estimates below 15Mbps, upgrading to the 80/20 package wouldn't change the fact that the estimate is below 15Mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team