cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Line Speed

petelane1951
Grafter

Minimum Line Speed

I have recently changed to fibre when it became available in my village but I only get an estimated speed of 13. Reading the FAQ I need an estimated speed of 15 before I can subscribe. I am confused by this requirement because BT TV worked fine for me when I was with them on an ordinary non fibre line. Also NOW TV worked fine on the old line and is superb now on fibre. Why are Plusnet insisting on such a high line speed? All I really would like is the BT Sport channels because I can not have a  sky dish because of planning restrictions unless I get full planning permission and I was hopeful Plusnet might offer me this option. If BT and Now can work on speeds as low as 3 why does Plusnet need 15? Is it not possible to watch on normal low definition rather than HD? If I just took the non recordable Youview box why is the requirement still 15?
9 REPLIES
petelane1951
Grafter

Re: Minimum Line Speed

I raised this issue here hoping Plusnet might explain their reasoning. I have also raised it direct on Plusnet. They have not replied yet either.
I realise this is a new product for Plusnet but I am disappointed in the lack of a response from them.
I am very disappointed because I thought Plusnet had good customer service.
C1Rider
Grafter

When PNTV first appeared I had all the channels, including BTSport show up in my channel list; after a couple of days they disappeared.
Inbetween time I contacted PN and was told that I need fibre at 15 minimum to get a reliable TV service; I presently have ADSL at 12/13.
From that it appears the reason is to " guarantee " that the service is reliable.  Huh
Like you, I had BTSport previously via ADSL and it was OK.  Currently I'm getting " you do not have enough bandwidth " errors with ALL4 and Channel5, I put this down to the work being carried out to upgrade my exchange to fibre.
petelane1951
Grafter

It does seem strange that Plusnet needs much more bandwidth than some other suppliers for the same channels. Out of interest, what type of Youview box do you have? Is it the + version which allows recording or the basic box? My Now box says it works on a minimum of 2.5. If they can do it why can't Plusnet?
I chased Plusnet yesterday and I was told that my question had been escalated and was due for a reply today.
bazzaw

I'm also perplexed as to why PN and mother (BT) are insisting on such high bb speeds. I have just upgraded to unlimited fibre and have a consistent measured line speed of 17mbps. Despite the fact that the Youview website recommends a minimum speed of 3mbps, PN have declined to let me have a Youview box because my 'estimated' speed is only 10mbps!  With my old ADSL connection at 2.7mbps I had no trouble watching streaming tv in HD. There is more to this than meets the eye!!
petelane1951
Grafter

I agree. The plus net reply to my account question did not explain the reason from a technical person. It was merely a customer service answer about providing the best service.
I hoped a technical person would explain why the non recordable box needs such bandwidth. As no one has done this I assume there is no reason and it is aimed at making people sign up for fibre.
This poor service means a review of supplier when my contract runs down. Now TV only needs 2.5!
hex
Grafter

The recommended speed on the youview website is for the ondemand players - there are no IPTV channels for the vanilla product.
From a glance a HD IPTV stream for Plusnet TV can use up to just over 8 Mbit/s (some seem to be around 6 - I assume it probably depends what kind of audio is being streamed), SD is about 3 Mbit/s from the looks of things.
I guess the PN required speed requirement is based on being able to watch/record channels and still have a usable internet connection - sounds like there could be more flexibility with the requirements though especially if the customer understands/agrees to the limitations, has a non-recording box or is prevented from subscribing to HD channels.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 109

I believe a HD TV channel stream uses roughly around 7.5mbps so the 15mbps minimum speed is there to allow people to record one HD internet channel while watching another.
That's before you even filter in other internet activity so at the moment I don't believe there's any chance we can change the minimum speed requirement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
petelane1951
Grafter

Matthew.
Thanks for the reply.  If the figures quoted before of 3 for SD are correct why can,t PN offer a lower speed requirement for SD only on the non recordable box?
Please can you confirm the speed requirements for this and ask PN to offer this option.
If not then you risk losing customers like me.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 109

I can feed it back however in all honesty it's not likely to change I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team